The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Preterism and universalism

Not all in exactly the same way, however; neither do evangelicals give equal weight to every portion of scripture. Plus, ‘evangelical’ is not a single-meaning concept - there are variations, and one’s individual choice of what that concept means is not binding on anyone else.
In most respects the admins and mods are what you call evangelical. All of us have been learning what tolerance means. Slowly. :slight_smile:

There may be some tolerance to the definition but it isnt a wax nose. Heres a pretty good definition

Evangelical church, any of the classical Protestant churches or their offshoots, but especially in the late 20th century, churches that stress the preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ, personal conversion experiences, Scripture as the sole basis for faith, and active evangelism (the winning of personal commitments …

Im curious how this forum defines it.

There is actually a sort of statement of faith in the uppermost part of the main page under “Useful Materials”.
Members do differ a bit on whether there are too many/too few distinguishing marks that are listed.
‘Wax nose’ - hadn’t heard that one before, excellent!

thanks. I’ll take a look. Love that cartoon BTW. Really illustrates f how a UUA would view those who advocate the necessity of faith. But a better representation of the view would be one of someone saying “I can wait all day” because on the exclusivist universalist model no one actully drowns because all come to faith eventually. Thus Jesus would be saying I can wait till youre ready but I wont give up on you.

WARNING! :innocent: There is a ‘davo’ (who posted that cartoon) AND a DaveB2.0 (me) who thinks it is a silly one - but we don’t have to pursue that here :slight_smile: - just thought I’d mention that folks sometimes mistake one of us for the other…

That’s the ticket, for sure…

Thanks. I think it’s silly too but I really like how it illustrates that viewpoint.

Sometimes silly is effective.

You are a pill.

:grin: