The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Quote for today

“Oh, my friend, it’s not what they take away from you that counts. It’s what you do with what you have left.”-- Hubert Humphrey

1 Like

“We should not judge people by their peak of excellence; but by the distance they have traveled from the point where they started.” -Henry Ward Beecher

“He is rich or poor according to what he is, not according to what he has.” -Henry Ward Beecher

“It’s easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top.” Henry Ward Beecher

1 Like

“Legalism says God will love us if we change. The gospel says God will change us because He loves us.” - Tullian Tchividjian

“Though we are incomplete, God loves us completely. Though we are imperfect, He loves us perfectly. Though we may feel lost and without compass, God’s love encompasses us completely. … He loves every one of us, even those who are flawed, rejected, awkward, sorrowful, or broken.” - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

“It’s not about finding ways to avoid God’s judgment and feeling like a failure if you don’t do everything perfectly. It’s about fully experiencing God’s love and letting it perfect you. It’s not about being somebody you are not. It’s about becoming who you really are.” - Stormie Omartian,

“We should be astonished at the goodness of God, stunned that He should bother to call us by name, our mouths wide open at His love, bewildered that at this very moment we are standing on holy ground.”

― Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out

“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”-- George Bernard Shaw

Goodbye, Amerika. Mind-readers rule!!

" The report states: “The question is not whether the President’s conduct could have resulted from permissible motives. It is whether the President’s real reasons , the ones in his mind at the time, were legitimate.”

You were born to stand out, stop trying to fit in."-- Roy T. Bennett

“When I have suffered sufficiently, the Lord will then take me to Himself – but what are all my sufferings compared to those of the blessed Saviour, who died upon that cursed tree for me, mine are nothing.”

• President Andrew Jackson during his final illness, 1 June 1845-

“Libraries: The medicine chest of the soul.”-- Inscription over the door of the Library at Thebes

“All things that you ask straightly and directly from inside My Name you shall be given. So far you have not done this. Ask without hidden motive and be surrounded by your answer. Be enveloped by what you desire, that your gladness be full.” -Paul Camps-

“It is not the high summer alone that is God’s. The winter also is His. And into His winter He came to visit us. And all man’s winters are His - the winter of our poverty, the winter of our sorrow, the winter of our unhappiness - even the winter of our discontent.” -George MacDonald

“Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.”-- Victor Hugo

“Our love is like a flower. First you need to plant the seeds. Then you give it love, water and nutrients. The you watch it grow and grow. And finally it blossoms to become you.”-- Anthony T Hincks

“Grace is the celebration of life, relentlessly hounding all the non-celebrants in the world. It is a floating, cosmic bash shouting its way through the streets of the universe, flinging the sweetness of its cassations to every window, pounding at every door in a hilarity beyond all liking and happening, until the prodigals come out at last and dance, and the elder brothers finally take their fingers out of their ears.” - Robert Farrar Capon-

No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind."-- Taylor Swift

“(We) must be aware of the fact that terms like ‘sin’ and ‘judgment’ have lost not their truth, but rather (lost) an expressive power which can be regained only if they are filled with the insights into human nature which existentialism (including depth psychology) has given to us.”
Tillich, Systematic Theology v.2

“We only know a tiny proportion about the complexity of the natural world. Wherever you look, there are still things we don’t know about and don’t understand. There are always new things to find out if you go looking for them.”-- David Attenborough

To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow - this is a human offering that can border on miraculous."-- Elizabeth Gilbert

“I was wise enough never to grow up, while fooling people into believing I had.”-- Margaret Mead

1 Like

“If the gospel isn’t good news for everybody, then it isn’t good news for anybody. And this is because the most powerful things happen when the church surrenders its desire to convert people and convince them to join. It is when the church gives itself away in radical acts of service and compassion, expecting nothing in return, that the way of Jesus is most vividly put on display. To do this, the church must stop thinking about everybody primarily in categories of in or out, saved or not, believer or nonbeliever. Besides the fact that these terms are offensive to those who are the “un” and “non”, they work against Jesus’ teachings about how we are to treat each other. Jesus commanded us to love our neighbor, and our neighbor can be anybody. We are all created in the image of God, and we are all sacred, valuable creations of God. Everybody matters. To treat people differently based on who believes what is to fail to respect the image of God in everyone. As the book of James says, “God shows no favoritism.” So we don’t either.” - Rob Bell

“It’s better to be unique than the best because being the best makes you the number one, but being unique makes you the only one.”-- Author Unknown

"Preach the Gospel at all times and if necessary use words."

“Imagine you are walking in the woods and you see a small dog sitting by a tree. As you approach it, it suddenly lunges at you, teeth bared. You are frightened and angry. But then you notice that one of its legs is caught in a trap. Immediately your mood shifts from anger to concern: You see that the dog’s aggression is coming from a place of vulnerability and pain. This applies to all of us. When we behave in hurtful ways, it is because we are caught in some kind of trap. The more we look through the eyes of wisdom at ourselves and one another, the more we cultivate a compassionate heart.”-- Tara Brach

“You are a VIP, a very important person, so take care with self-care. If not you, who? If not now, when?”-- Toni Hawkins

1 Like

“No, there is no escape. There is no heaven with a little of hell in it–no plan to retain this or that of the devil in our hearts or our pockets. Out Satan must go, every hair and feather!” -George MacDonald

“How many people would like to be good, if only they might be good without taking trouble about it! They do not like goodness well enough to hunger and thirst after it, or to sell all that they have that they may buy it; they will not batter at the gate of the kingdom of heaven; but they look with pleasure on this or that aerial castle of righteousness, and think it would be rather nice to live in it.” -George MacDonald