The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Reasons why the raising of Lazarus from the dead is only in

I am interested in reasons why the raising of Lazarus is only in the Gospel of John. I think the answer to this has implications on how we interpret the Bible:

0 Likes

The suggested reasons put forward in the Reddit article seem quite plausible to me. But I can’t see why “the answer to this has implications on how we interpret the Bible”. Perhaps you could elucidate.

0 Likes

Some of the reasons take the raising of Lazarus as a historical event and one of them treats it as a Parable (ie. not a historical event).

0 Likes

@mcarans do you think it’s a parable?

0 Likes

I think it could be a historical event which had been adapted to include linkages to the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.

1 Like

mcarans, It doesn’t seem odd to me that the story of Lazarus is only in the Gospel of John. On the contrary, one may ask why all the stories are basically the same. To me, it seems odd that there isn’t much more of a variety.
As to the story itself, it could be a parable or an actual historical event. I don’t think Lazarus was actually dead, as in no longer breathing. It could be connected somehow to the parable of the rich man. My guess is that maybe he simply lost everything he had. Life back then was very precarious. One minute you had it all and the very next day it was all gone.

1 Like