The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Risen Christ Preached to the Spirits in Prison

For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.
(1 Peter 3:18-20 NKJV)

There are almost as many different views of this passage as there are commentaries on it. Please express your view, and then I will share my thoughts about it.

Peter said Noah was a preacher of righteousness which is the only way we even know Noah was a preacher and this “righteousness” I believe to be the “Spirit of Christ.” In other words he ( Jesus) preached to the spirits in prison through Noah back in that time.

So the spirits in prison were all the other people who did not get into the ark, because they did not obey the word of warning from God through Noah. I have no idea what the ‘prison’ was but am encouraged that all the rest of the people on earth were given a ‘proclamation’ by Jesus Himself. They were not lost after all. What mercy!

In 1 Peter 1.11 “Searching what or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that would follow.”

The expression “which was in them” refers to OT prophets ( 1 Peter 1.10) which we know from Peter included Noah “a preacher of righteousness” & that the Spirit of Christ was in them.
So Noah preached to the spirits in prison back in the time he was building the Ark & he preached through the Spirit of Christ as did many other OT prophets.

I’ll have to think a lot more deeply before I can offer an opinion on this topic :pensive:

Also, I want to make sure my grammar, spelling, etc. is absolutely perfect. :heart_eyes:

In the meantime, listen to the Oak Ridge Boys’ take on the subject.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjbwsj3iZflAhXErZ4KHaU_CE4QwqsBMAF6BAgJEAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmFvmsGBLAfQ&usg=AOvVaw25JJC4tUcbHZ4q4HjoBOZA

1 Like

Your title is, “Risen Christ Preached to the Spirits in Prison” —but Christ had not yet “risen” when he went down below to preach to the spirits there.

Here is my current understanding on the topic:

From Wikipedia:

In Christian theology, the Harrowing of Hell (Latin: Descensus Christi ad Inferos, “the descent of Christ into Hell”) is the triumphant descent of Christ into Hell (or Hades) between the time of his Crucifixion and his Resurrection when he brought salvation to all of the righteous who had died since the beginning of the world.

Apparently, the abode of the dead below, known as “Sheol” in Hebrew, and “Hades” in Greek, used to have two compartments, one for the righteous dead known as “Paradise” or “Abraham’s bosom,” and one for the sinful dead.

However, after Christ’s perfect Blood was shed, the righteous dead could now go up to heaven. So when Christ ascended back to heaven, the Paradise compartment went up with him, and was relocated above, becoming a temporal subsection of heaven. (Regarding these distinctions, consider 1 Sam. 28:11-19, Luke 16:19-31, 23:40-43; Ephesians 4:8; 2 Corinthians 12:2-4.)

After he died, Christ went down below to Sheol in spirit, and apparently visited both compartments:

1. He “proclaimed” to the sinful dead in their compartment of torment (1 Peter 3:19-20)—and there they will remain until Judgment and their transfer to the remedial lake of fire; whereas,

2. He “preached the gospel” to righteous dead in their “Paradise” compartment known as “Abraham’s bosom” (1 Peter 4:6), and they subsequently followed Christ to heaven at his ascension (Eph. 4:8), because they had been “prisoners of HOPE” (Zech. 9:9-12).

Regarding Christ’s visit below to the sinful dead:

1 Peter 3:18-21 (ESV)
18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit,
19 in which he went and PROCLAIMED [kēryssō] to the spirits in prison,
20 because they formerly DID NOT OBEY, when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.
21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Regarding Christ’s visit below to the righteous dead:

1 Peter 4:4-7 (ESV)
4 With respect to this they are surprised when you do not join them in the same flood of debauchery, and they malign you;
5 but they will give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
6 For THIS IS WHY the GOSPEL was preached [euaggelizō, to bring good news] even to those who are dead, that though judged in the flesh the way people are, they might live in the spirit the way God does.
7 The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.

Note: I think Peter’s reference to those who died in the Flood of Noah, does not limit Christ’s visit to the sinful dead to only those that died in that catastrophe. Rather, Peter referenced them specifically because he was also setting up a connection to WATER BAPTISM, the reality of suffering, and the need for self-control in a corrupt world.

1 Like

Do you know that He had not yet risen? If you think you know so, what is your Scriptural evidence? I quoted the NKJV:

For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison…

The idea is that He was brought back to life by the Holy Spirit,— that same Holy Spirit enabling Him to preach to the spirits in prison. The word for “Spirit” is “πνευματι” which is in the dative case. The translators of the NKJV consider this to be the dative of agency, as do the following well-known, reliable translations: The AV (King James), the Douay, the EMTV, and the NIV, all of which translate it in a similar way—indicating that the Spirit raised Him from the dead and was the agent behind His having preached to the spirits in prison.

However, there are other translations which make it sound as if His “spirit” was made alive, and that He went in spirit, and not in body to preach to the spirits in prison. Here is one example:

For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison…(ESV)

I admit that this is a possible translation, but in my opinion, a much less likely one.