The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Robin: Is Bell really a universalist?

Bob and Sonia, I really enjoyed watching that video! I wished it were longer!

Me too, it was really easy to listen to. Bell has a great sense of humor/.

ROOFUS! (all caps!) That was incredible and I thank you for sharing it/passing it along.

There are so many aspects worth commenting upon.
I found his two partners in discussion (the British host and Adrian, the Christian, also British, blogger…) to be very cordial and engaging. And I laughed because of what I perceived as their frustration at getting Bell to say what they were sure he WAS saying!

One of my favorite moments is when the idea of the “hope” that all might be saved popped up… Bell seemed to jump alive at this! (this convinces me, against my former comments… :blush: that Bell certainly CAN be called, at the very least, a HOPEful Universalist!) and he asks insistently of BOTH his questioners…

(‘that’ being Universal reconciliation…)
They quickly withdrew to their carefully calibrated positions. But that provided a real window into Bell’s soul for me!
I’m seeing now that Bell’s position is very carefully crafted and he knows exactly where the pitfalls are and avoids them magnificently!

And truthfully, much better than would a full fledged Universalist who would just blurt out his position, defend it, and thereby make himself an easy target. Bell is OBVIOUSLY trying to elicit the conclusion of Universalism, but he’s way too smart to just draw the conclusion FOR his listener…

Good stuff and thanks again roofus!

TotalVictory
Bobx3

Thanks for showing kind appreciation. It seems way too rare!
Have you heard this? This is when Dr. Mouw spoke at Rob’s church in the heat of the Love Wins debate:
marshill.org/teaching/2011/04/03 … -thyatira/

Dr. Mouw is not a universalist, keep in mind, but watch how he deals with it pastorally, it is interesting!