The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Romans 2 and Judgement

Thanks rline.
My next question for you, that will hopefully help to clear up rather than add to the confusion :slight_smile: :
You agree that the Jewish message is still salvation by grace through faith. So how do you understand James’ and Jesus’ statements to be consistent with this, if it is not by the same sort of way that Mel and I agreed about back on July 18? (quoted below)
(There “seems” to be a contradiction between what you say the Jewish message is and what is taught by Jesus and James. This is the same sort of contradiction that “seems” to exist between Paul and Jesus. Mel and I are suggesting one answer. I may have missed it, but I can’t see where you have answered this, and I think you disagree with our answer. :slight_smile: )

Rline, I’ve responded to your comments as I’ve gone along, as I easily forget what I want to say and would struggle to bring it all together at the end. :wink:

Thank you Rline, for taking the time to go through my questions. The main obstacles for me, in understanding how there are two gospels and therefore two distinct groups is that:

I don’t see ‘two’ groups still being the case, once you are in Christ, because you are then one new man.

The ‘gospel’ is the same ‘end result’ for all peoples and so is ‘one’ story. If I had been a ‘pious’ Jew and had been listening to Paul tell a load of uncircumcised gentiles that they were going to go to Heaven and see God and sit back and have a good view of us Jews working our socks off down here in the earthly Kingdom, I’d have thought that sounded mad (and possibly racist from a modern point of view). If however, I heard Paul telling the gentiles that they too could be part of the Messiah’s Kingdom and would even have positions of authority that formerly would only go to Jews as they were the keepers of the ordinances etc, and that everyone had a part to play in the Kingdom and ultimately in eternity, then, yes I would most likely argue the toss and be rather put out, but then hopefully Paul would show me how this ‘secret’ that had been hidden, was now being revealed and that these other sheep from a different flock, were also justified through the shedding of Messiah’s blood (which suggests that all in christ are included in the new covenant which is based on the shedding of Jesus’ blood surely??) and I’d hopefully get over my pride and see how amazing God’s plans are (and be reminded of all the OT verses that talk of the gentiles being blessed too). :smiley:

Thanks Catherine and rline for all the work you’ve both done here in the above post, thinking this issue through and discussing it together.

Craig, it’s a real pleasure to be able to discuss this subject with you guys. What’s interesting about Rline’s position is that it does seem to explain the seeming contradictions between much of the NT that emphasises ‘works’ and much of the NT that emphasises ‘faith alone’, although my own position is that ‘faith alone’ is not correct (even the demon’s believe). Because I believe that the ‘good news’ for all men to be saved involves obeying Jesus’ commandments (to love one another), then faith without love is pointless, but then maybe Rline would say, then it isn’t really faith if it isn’t accompanied by love and I would agree with that. I have lots of head knowledge about God and the bible etc, and yet only being touched by God’s love (maybe that is the gift of real faith) will motivate me to ‘act’ on that knowledge and ‘follow Jesus’. I’m in a bit of a limbo state myself in that I’m not feeling the love much (as I explained in another thread) and so I struggle to be motivated to follow Jesus and hence I will no doubt have two glasses too many of wine tonight, knowing that it is not a ‘good’ thing to do and yet still doing it. :confused:

Catherine wrote

I think that your position seems similar to mine and Mel’s. There “seem” to be contradictory messages but they are not really. Different emphases can be explained by different people in different situations needing different emphases. But these emphases still all belong together as the same basic message. God is wanting the same basic response of all people to himself- love, trust , obedience. They are not necessarily contradictory or opposite messages to two different groups of people. I am not sure about rline- I’ll see how he answers my last question. I am not sure if he is still maintaing the “rebellion” that they are contradictory or whether he will join us on the “dark side”. :slight_smile: (I had better not talk too loudly in case he is listening in :smiley: ).
I haven’t seen the other thread you mentioned. I’ll have a look for it.

Hi all

Catherine, I agree that it has been a pleasure discussing all this. :slight_smile: Thanks for your comments on what I wrote.

Um, I’m gonna stick with my response from a few days ago…

Done!

Not done.

Done!

Thanks rline for being gracious in putting up with my questions to try and understand and evaluate where you are coming from. I will go over your comments and try and see which response you are referring to and then leave it there. Thanks for the helpful interaction and God’s blessings to you and your family.