The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Sabbath Desecration and David's Unlawful Act

Hey Bob,

There is alot to chew on and think through on this topic. I’m going to take a “Sabbatical” I think!! :laughing:

Maybe regroup and approach the topic after a break. There are an awful lot of things said on this thread that I would like to reread and I would also like to do a little more study regarding the Sabbath as viewed by the 1st century Jews. I have not forgotten this topic or your latest points, just taking a break for a little. I’d like to heed the biblical counsel that says “Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak”.

I also see TV arguing it on the other thread and would like to make way for some of his arguements and hear them out as well.

Anyways I appreciate the grace and patience you have displayed towards me on this thread as I have tried to argue the opposite position while trying to also hear your arguements as best as i could.

My brother Steve,

Blessings on your sabbatical! In the pastorate, I found that they literally can be wonderful (the irony of my view here is that I actually think Christians in this hectic world need to recover the glorious principles of God’s sabbath provision). You have engaged the substance of the relevant texts in a way that is seldom done, and you’ve always presented challenges in a gracious way. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed wresting with the issues together. Let me know of further insights you gain.

Thanks Bob.

I plan to revisit this topic a little later and meanwhile plan to pop on the board here and there to make a comment or two.

There are a few other things I feel are important for me to study at the moment that will take the bulk of my time. One of which is Penal Substitution and the various atonement views.

Thank you for your patience and positive, kind words.

Steve,
Please do fill us in and drop your thought on PS. I’m not bit on PS and have moved away from it. I see different metaphors being regarding the atonement. But a literal PS, I have very strong doubts.

Anyways please do drop your thoughts here on the forum.

Aug

Hi Lefein,
I agree with much of what you are saying. I have seen the opposite concerning the “grafted in” scenario though. I have seen Christian’s say Jews should give up being a Jew - and indeed that they must to accept their own Messiah. The atrocities committed to people, and especially Jews, in the name of christianity makes me sick and I think the arrogance of telling a Jew that if they want to accept the Jewish Messiah they have to submit to a mostly pagan institution is ridiculous. It is not about a gentile “becoming Jewish” either but, about the gentile becoming one with His people and taking part in the covenants of promise. The division between Jew and Gentile being broken down by Christ’s work on the cross.
Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
(Eph 2:11-12) But now? the gentiles aren’t aliens from the commonwealth of Israel anymore . . . or strangers from the covenants of promise . . . now they have hope and are with God in the world. Yes, we are to be part of the commonwealth of Israel not Israel being a part of whatever we call “true” Christianity. Hammering on the Jews has been going on from the first organized christian organization, Luther hated them and called for their destruction, the inquisition? Crusades? We are all “trained” to believe certain religious teachings and need to be set free.

I’m not sure if I posted this article already. Should add some food for thought.

askelm.com/essentials/ess005a.htm

askelm.com/essentials/ess042.htm

this one too.

Redhot,
Thanks for the links. I’m working through the first one and I have some sympathies and reservations both. The author quotes Eze 20 to state that God gave them bad commands. I don’t think that’s what the text means. I believe it means he gave them over to bad commands (not God’s but foreign).

Consider v. 24

He seems strongly dispensational and I have strong doubts about dispensationalism.

What is dispensationalism in a nutshell, and what are your reservations about it?

Well dispensationalism - as I understand it - is the position held that God works differently in different time periods. The whole Pre tribulation rapture is a major part of the position. The age of grace end and God then re-institutes the age of law and people have to obey the law in order to be saved as they did in the OT.

The author of this paper seems to be very much along those lines. I may be wrong about that, but that’s how I read him.

I believe he thinks God will reinstitute the law to train up the people left alive after the tribulation that are coming out of complete idolatry beacuse they are so religiously broken from the antichrist. If thats dispensationalism then yep. I dont agree with many of his conclusions but find his findings to be valuable. For instance he believes the image that gets set up in the hoh is another ark since those are beasts. I agree but not that it will literally happen but that image represents our carnal. Ature. Im working on a post right now actually. I dont agree that God will reinstitute the law but I do find his gathering together of changes in laws and “religious orders” usefull.

Magma,
I agree with you. His being a dispensationalist does not mean everything he says is untrue. I do think he’s wrong about God givine them bad commands. The commands have their purpose but I don’t think it’s quite as simple as law keepers want us to believe - ie. they’re all moral.

This sympathy for the pharisees and scribes pushed me to look into why they were rejecting Jesus and the more I looked the more I found that he was antagonizing them; possibly so they might put him on a cross. He didn’t have to use unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood (anti torah) metaphors. He could have used another metaphor for eternal life like the tree of life. But these types of things pushed the san hedrin into a corner I think most of us would fail, namely this:

If we lived in Jesus’ time without the NT would we agree with his interpretations and his actions.

Some people feel they would because they believe their interpretations is Jesus’. I doubt that. But I’ll say this much at least the law keepers are studied on this eye opening subject.

As I understand Jesus, he sets up Davids and the Priests act as being “unlawful” and “desecrations”. I’ve read reasons why people have said Davids act was not unlawful but I remain unsatisfied. As far as I can tell, only the priest and those who belong to him that he purchased were able to eat that bread. I tend to think Jesus was not saying since it’s lawful for David then it’s lawful for me. I tend to think he was telling them that the imagery (typology) was about him and the disciples and thus they misunderstood the word of God. David the king (Jesus) and his gang (disciples) would eat together this bread. Perhaps I’m wrong about that but I’ve not yet been convinced that what David did was legal.

Regarding the first link:

I’m not sure he’s right that the laws have changed or been added to. But there is an emestemic issue regarding how we know the difference between a change or having misunderstood it in the first place. I favor the latter.

He’s def. right from a reading of the scriptures that people were:
a) not to light a fire, bake their goods, carry loads, - In the Exodus, they weren’t allowed to go out to collect manna.
b) the one who deliberately breaks the sabbath shall be put to death.

The author sees A and B as the law, and like him, I have not seen in the OT any provisions for people to do good work. Good work is a subjective term and can be interpreted differently person to person. So picking grains on the sabbath vs. healing are different issues. The whole Jot and tittle idea seems to me to be futile, especially when such people are not promoting the WHOLE LAW as the author declares. I agree with him. He sees dispensational needs - particular rules for people of their time. But even his position on dispensationalism does not avoid other issues, like God’s teaching:

If a master beats his servant to near the point of death, and the servant does not die, the master is not to be punished since the slave is his property.

Do the law keepers take this literally? And there’s lots more of these where they come from.