The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Saved from wrath

Dan,

Having skimmed through this, I think you got some good answers. I wouldn’t say anything differently, so I won’t chime in on the things you asked me. I see now where you’re coming from – It didn’t occur to me that you accepted penal substitution but not eternal conscious torment. More often than not, the two go together, but there are those who hold PS and are also universalists. They do tend to come to the conclusion you are reaching for – that there is in fact no wrath to come as it has all been satisfied. Logically this didn’t work for me. The reason is Romans.

The gospel, to my understanding, is this: Jesus came to set us free from the law of sin and death. All have sinned, and the “wage” sin pays is death. We can’t help sinning; we were born to it. But that doesn’t mean that sin doesn’t lead to death. What’s more, the whole world, even those who haven’t sinned in the way Adam did, is also bound into slavery to sin and death. Paul explained how he, who wanted to do the good, found evil always ready to hand so that the good he wanted to do, he didn’t do; the evil he hated, that he did. So he found a law at work within himself and he called it “the law of sin and death.” Who would free him from this body of death? This body that wanted to sin while his spirit, weak and helpless, could not master the flesh. “I think my God,” he says, “through my Lord Jesus Christ. For the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set me free from the law of sin and death.”

You see, the problem is not sins we have committed. We have long history of God forgiving sins without any atonement made. There is no sacrifice given for sins in the Jewish law code whereby INTENTIONAL sins can be forgiven. There are provisions for unknowing sins, but intentional sin isn’t even addressed. Yet God again and again forgives His sinning people. Eventually He sends them off to Babylon for a “time-out” to think about what they’ve done, but He restores them after their exile. He forgives and forgives and forgives. His mercies never come to an end. You might say that He forgives with an eye toward the future death of Christ, or that Christ is the Lamb slain from the foundations of the world, and that is a point. However, scripture doesn’t really say this. There’s one bit early on in 1 Corinthians I believe, that might point to this, but it’s a somewhat foggy statement and can be taken several ways. You’d think there would be a clearer attestation or at least a clearer hint or inference that God needs sacrifice in order to forgive sin.

Oh yes – there’s another verse: Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin. Some translations say forgiveness, but remission really is a more accurate rendering. If you do render it ‘remission,’ that puts the verse in a whole different light. Remission means healing. It means recovery. Remission is when something retreats, goes back, undoes itself. Allen has pointed out to me, and I believe he’s right, that the “shedding of blood” can be a metaphor for the difficulty of the operation.

There’s also another way to think about this and I don’t know how accurate it would be (some of the others can critique this, along with you). The life is in the blood, according to the OT law. It is only by Jesus giving us His life and us leaving behind the old life to take on the new (His) life, that we can be freed from sin. This is consistent with Paul’s argument in Romans. Jesus made a way for us to die to the flesh so that our bondage to sin (he uses the metaphor of a woman whose husband dies being free to marry another as she has been set free from the law of her husband) can come to an end. In our case it is we who die rather than the ‘husband.’ Though He has also condemned sin in the flesh – so the death can be seen as affecting either the law of sin and death or the slave of sin who is, of God, in Christ Jesus on the cross.

Those are the only two verses I can think of which might be seen to say that God needs a sacrifice in order to forgive sin. Other places, He just forgives it. And why shouldn’t He? He’s God. It’s not evil for Him to forgive sin; He’s the one who forgives sins. The priests and Pharisees who watched Jesus heal the paralytic protested, “Only God can forgive sin!”

And where’s the forgiveness anyway, if Jesus paid for it? If you knew I was having financial trouble and you went to the electric company out of mercy for me and paid my bill, would the EC be correct in saying it had forgiven the debt? This works for God, too. If Jesus paid, God has not forgiven. He’s been paid what He (we say) demanded. The electric company would be within its rights to forgive my debt; it’s their money and they can forgive the debt if they want to. God can forgive sin if He wants to.

The problem we have with this is that we see this as unjust. We want the sinner to pay, to understand what the sin has done to others and to experience that so that he’ll be sorry for what he’s done. But this is only our limited conception of justice. If a mugger killed your brother because he couldn’t get his wallet out fast enough, you would want the mugger brought to justice (whatever that means to you). But the justice humans mete out is so very limited. All we can do is to try to take away any advantage the mugger might have gained over the man he killed. We will put him in prison or put him to death, but what we will NEVER be able to do is to administer true justice. The mugger must make restitution. He must give back the life he has taken, and he must restore what he stole (not just the money) seven-fold. (I think that’s the rate – it may be different.)

Obviously neither the mugger nor anyone else can restore what was taken. Ideally, your brother would be restored to you and the mugger would be taught (by chastening if appropriate) what it felt like to be mugged and murdered and what it felt like to the family members who lost someone precious to them – the purpose of the teaching being to heal him from his sinfulness. His SIN can be forgiven unilaterally by God because God is able to forgive it and to undo the consequences to others. Then when all has been restored, the healed sinner can be restored to you and your brother as a fellow brother in the household of YHWH – a loving sibling as he should be.

THAT is truly justice – not that the man is paid out. You’re right. Any payment required to anyone has been paid by Jesus (and I don’t believe the payment was made to the Father – to us, maybe). It’s the restoration of all concerned that was Jesus’ chief accomplishment. For this purpose was the Son of God manifest; to destroy the works of the evil one. Note – not to propitiate the just wrath of an angry god; to DESTROY the works of the evil one.

I think this may be one of the longest posts I’ve written here. If you can’t bring yourself to examine the other theories of atonement that the church, historically, HAS accepted and that we to this day celebrate in music and poetry and prose, and that are more abundantly attested to in scripture than PS, that’s not the end of everything. I confess I don’t understand the logic of clinging to PS when once you’ve let go ECT, and when scripture presents us with so many varied pictures of the atonement – but it’s not the end of everything. You are right. Given PS, given that God is not allowed to forgive sins just because He decides to, given that He took satisfaction from His Son rather than from us, there would no be no reason for anyone to suffer in the wrath of God. To me, though, it is our bondage to sin that is the problem, so much more than the sins themselves.

Blessings, Cindy

Hi 1824 –

Just wanted to say that I haven’t time to get involved in this conversation – but actually my heart goes out to you. I remember the logic of the Dutch Calvinists and Cornelius Van Til being like a prison to me. I could no longer believe in the conclusions of the logic but I still had absolute respect for the logic and found it so hard to see things or think things or hope things differently. So honestly you are in my thoughts and prayers here.

Oh and regarding dear Cindy – I’d just like to say having viewed this thread that Cindy would never be rude to a single living being – and certainly not to you. As for me – I’m a bit of an old thug :unamused: but Cindy is a complete gentlewoman.

Blessings to you for the journey

Dick :slight_smile:

Hi Dan,

John was very familiar with sin offerings. Since Jesus offered himself, it was perfectly natural to draw on this cultural metaphor and say Jesus was an offering for sin. But how far can we take this, and what does it mean? Was the Father full of wrath, but the Son full of grace? If so, Jesus did not reveal the Father to us. He hid him from us. He didn’t bring us to the Father, but shielded us from the Father. It makes Jesus worth loving, but not the Father. Did seeing his Son die somehow cool the Father’s wrath? That’s simply bizarre. Does God suffer from some sort of multiple personality disorder? It makes no sense to me.

I love John. I have absolutely no intention of dropping him into the bin. The challenge is to find a way of understanding this stuff that doesn’t blaspheme the Trinity.

I should not have responded to you with sarcasm. Please forgive me.

You were being gracious to offer me a response to questions that I asked to which you had no obligation to make a response. My response to you should have been of charity rather than sarcasm.

Offerings, making satisfaction, redemption, ransom, justification, debt, wages… these are all social metaphors. Some are more helpful than others. Some seem to be contradictory. For example, was Jesus a payment to the Father (propitiation), or a payment to the devil (ransom)?

We also have to ask what metaphors carry the most weight. In Jesus mind, was God understood more as Father (the family metaphor) or as Judge (the judicial metaphor favored by Paul, who was, after all, a lawyer more than a family man.)

Jesus was fond of medical metaphors. The wrath of the doctor is satisfied when the cancer is destroyed and the real person is set free. Similarly, the wrath of God will be satisfied only when sin and death are destroyed. Similarly, the love of God will be satisfied only when sin and death are destroyed. ie. The wrath of God is in fact the love of God defending the beloved.

The wrath of the doctor is satisfied by the work of chemotherapy. The doctor accepts what this drug has to offer the patient. It is an acceptable offering. The cure will take time, it will be painful, but the outcome is certain.

In the same way, the wrath of God is satisfied by the work of Christ. Christ, in his incarnation, death and resurrection, has destroyed the objects of God’s wrath, namely sin and death. God accepts what Christ has to offer humanity. It is an acceptable offering. Like yeast in the dough, Christ’s great achievement is now working its way through all creation. The cure will take time, it will be painful, but the outcome is certain.

Cindy,

Thank you for the time you took to reply and for the graciousness of your response.

As I mentioned in my “intro” thread, this concept of universal reconciliation is new to me. I wish I would have given it serious thought six years ago when I began questioning the love of God. I may have avoided the tossing back and forth between accusing God of being Sadistic and repenting for having such evil thoughts toward God. In my mind at the time, universalism could only be a product of liberalism. I thought that if I was to embrace liberalism, I might as well be agnostic. I had no idea that there was a such thing as “evangelical” universalism, but thought that the pluralistic idea that “all roads lead to God” was it.

It was only as I am about to walk away into agnosticism/atheism that I did a Google search on universalism. The past couple weeks has been the best in years. I am now beginning to think “Could it be that God actually is good and loving?” Yet, I don’t want to come to any hasty conclusions based on emotion. In a way, the idea is scary, because I am certain that my church would consider universalism to be heresy. Since I have been having meetings with my pastor again recently, I cringe at how he’s going to respond when I tell him that I am now leaning heavily toward universalism. (Of course, it couldn’t be any worse than when I told him I thought God was sadistic).

I’m thinking that if there is one theological concept that my church might consider “worse” than universalism it would be the denial of penal substitution.

To be honest, it is not something that I really I want to think about at this time. Isn’t one “heresy” enough for the moment? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Accept for, I don’t think I could go to the point of totally denying that there is a hell. It is enough (or too much) to question whether hell is eternal. Also, IMO, it would take a lot of twisting to deny what appears to be such an explicit teaching of the scriptures.

I agree that sanctification is necessary to salvation. Without holiness, no one will see God. Although sanctification in the life of the believer should be progressive, yet in this life we the best level we may attain will still amount to filthy rags.

When have I ever committed a sin that wasn’t intentional? Certainly, I am not aware of all the sins I commit, but those of which I am aware, most often, I did it on purpose.

Maybe we are coming at this with different presuppositions, but I see the scriptures stark full of clear hints and inferences that point to the need of a sacrifice for sins. Is this not what the author of Hebrews was pointing to especially in chapter 9?

Remission is the cancelling of a debt. The debt is remitted, because a redemption (payment) as been procured, that being the expiation (compensation) for the penalty of sin, which is accepted by God as propitiation (satisfaction). All big words, but important.

True, the work of Christ makes our sanctification possible. Because of our union with Christ in His death, we die to sin. His resurrection makes it possible for us to walk “in newness of life” that is, to live obediently (Romans 6). However, as mentioned before, sanctification will never be complete in this life, thus the apostle (what better Christian could there be than the apostle Paul?) struggles with remaining sin, as he discusses in Romans 7.

He forgives on the basis of the work of Jesus Christ. The work of Jesus Christ is the basis of justification.

Yet, someone (the electric company) still pays for the electricity. For the electric company to forgive (or remit) your debt isn’t free; it comes at a price. Certainly they can say they forgave your debt, but there is still the cost of producing and delivering the electricity to you, which they had to pay.

Jesus is God. Only God can forgive sin, but it came at a cost to God. A holy God demands holy justice. If sin is not expiated, then God will not forgive it (Ex 34:7). For us to be forgiven required that God lay our sins on Christ and he bore our sins in his own flesh (Isaiah 53).

But the offense is greater than just offending my brother in murdering him. The offense is also against God. Man was made in the image of God and thus to murder a man is a strike at the one whom the man is the image of.

The offense is against God, so the payment ought to be to God.

I am certain that there is a lot more substance to the other theories of atonement than I could began to wrap my head around, and it would be arrogant for me to dismiss them out of hand.

Maybe someday soon I might be willing to read up on the other theories and discuss them here, but I’ve got quite a bit on my plate for now.

By the way, if not the Satisfaction theory of atonement, which theory are you approaching the work of Christ from? Ransom, moral influence, example, govermental ???

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Dan.

Also, can someone please tell me what the acronym “ECT” stands for? Thanks.

I get from the context it doesn’t mean “Evangelicals and Catholics Together”

Dick,

It is funny you mention Van Til. I am a member of the Presbyterian denomination that he and his colleagues started around the same time they left Princeton and to found WTS.

In this circle, Van Til is viewed as one of the (if not “the”) greatest minds of the 20th century. If one is not Van Tillian, it is best he keep it to himself! :astonished: Especially, don’t say you agree with Clarke! :smiley:

Why would it be a payment to the devil? What claim does he have? Are our sins a violation of the law of God, or of the law of the devil?

That is why the ransom theory makes no sense to me. We have violated the law of God. Also, the declaration concerning justification is made by God, not the devil.

Eternal/Endless Conscious Torment

One more thing concerning Penal Substitution (Satisfaction Theory) -

It is intricately connected to the doctrines of Original Sin, the Covenant of Works in Adam, the Covenant of Grace (Pactum salutis), the Imputation of the Active and Passive Obedience of Christ, etc…

It would take an uprooting of 20 years of my presuppositions for me to consider questioning Penal Substitution. I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon.

This is along the same lines that Jason was saying when he said:

This makes sense. Thank you.

Excellent. The above quote is the best thing I’ve read all day.

Hi Dan,

I kinda scanned through the thread, but didn’t have time to read it thoroughly, so apologies if I repeat things others have said …

Yes

Yes, no matter how one construes the workings of atonement, the death of Christ is powerful enough to draw in all – as He says in John 12: “If I am lifted up I will draw all to myself.”

But, as you say, it is evident that not all men are in Christ, that judgment and punishment are coming for those who are not in Him.

This is an apparent contradiction, and is usually resolved by deciding that “all” doesn’t mean “each individual.”

The way I understand this is by applying the principle we see often in scripture, where something is declared in such a way that we might think it was complete, yet it is still in progress.

Here’s a passage that illustrates this:
Hbr 2:8 YOU HAVE PUT ALL THINGS IN SUBJECTION UNDER HIS FEET." For in subjecting all things to him, He left nothing that is not subject to him. But now we do not yet see all things subjected to him.

All things are subjected, but we don’t see it yet. It has been proclaimed, but is not yet realised.

This passage in 1 Corinthians 15 describes the process in greater detail:

The end is the reconciliation of all things to Him for whom they were created. (Col 1:15-20) This is an ongoing process that will be accomplished through the reign of Christ, now and into the coming ages, until God’s will is accomplished. In the meantime those who are not in Christ – those who have not yet passed from death to life – remain under the wrath and judgment of God.

And since God is Love, His wrath and judgment are both manifestations of His love. I love this little bit that shows God’s heart toward the disobedient: Jer 31:20 Is Ephraim my dear son? Is he my darling child? For as often as I speak against him, I do remember him still. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I will surely have mercy on him, declares the LORD.

Sonia

Yet we’re told we’ve been ransomed from sin. Basically, we take what we can from the metaphor and leave the rest.

Forgiveness is when the innocent party willingly suffers instead of the guilty party, in order to make reconciliation possible. The father of the prodigal son is the perfect example.

Christ, revealing the heart of God, makes this clear. His torment on the cross was the physical manifestation of the hidden torment that God has endured for our sakes from the beginning. God, the innocent party, willingly suffers for us, and always has. In love, He does not demand we repay. We cannot repay. By willingly taking our sins into himself, by taking the loss, he makes reconciliation possible. To me, this is pure glory.

But the usual understanding of PSA goes something like this:

The Judge addresses a murderer. “I find you guilty. The sentence is death by torture. But because I am a merciful man, I will torture my son to death instead, and let you go free. Now go! Be good. And tell everyone how wonderful I am.”

This isn’t divine. It’s crazy.

Hi, Dan

Thanks for your graciousness. And I thought you were responding rather mildly considering what you probably thought I had meant.

It is a journey. I went from ECT to Anni (annihilation) to Kath (as Jason calls it – I forget why – EU, UR, whatever). When I had been EU for several months it occurred to me there was something wrong with the whole PS thing as it related to UR. I couldn’t quite put a finger on it, but there were some logical inconsistencies; I could feel them. No one expects you to swim right into the scariest part of the bay – certainly not at first. The way I got into this: I asked Father to show me anything in my ideas of Him that was wrong. I told Him I would believe anything He could prove to me from scripture. Boy was I surprised – good surprised, but still it was quite a shock. I understand your reluctance to move too fast. Let the Holy Spirit take you on this exploration at His own pace.

Blessings, Cindy

Btw, I call it “Kath” because “katholic” means “universal” (and I wanted a nifty-sounding abbreviation like Calv and Arm :sunglasses: ), but I don’t want to confuse it with Roman Catholicism or Eastern Catholicism/Orthodoxy (since those are much more detailed particular branches of the church and neither one officially advocates universalism. Although they respected it for several centuries and seem to be coming back around that way now.)

It doesn’t help that the term there is usually misunderstood (as Cindy probably knows already). The wage being talked about there is a Greco-Roman term for a daily pittance provided by law to keep slaves alive: the wage sin pays out grudgingly every day is death. Paul is contrasting this to the free and superabundant life from God.

There are other verses about God paying sin with death, but this isn’t one of them. Yet even the classic example of Psalm 62:11-12, where David seems to finally come to understand what punishment from God is about, uses the verb {shawlam} when talking of God shawlam-ing a man according to his work.

King David finishes his warning against oppression, and his hope of God’s refuge from treachery, with the revelation,

"One thing God has spoken;
"These two things I heard:
"That power belongs to God
"and lovingkindness is Yours, O Lord!
“For You {shawlam} a man according to his work!”

Power and lovingkindness are the same thing in God (according to the revelation), so power expressed in punishment of sin must still be lovingkindness toward the person being punished.

Notably, the verb {shawlam} supports this: it’s a primitive word meaning ‘to make safe’, related to the word for peace, and involving by metaphorical application several actions with beneficial intentions and goals for the one being acted toward, such as fairly paying, completing, saving, being friendly, making amends, to perfect, to make good, to make prosper, to make a peace treaty.

The daily pittance sin pays is death; but God shawlams a man with power and lovingkindness. (Not that David had an easy time getting that; he tended to hope it for himself, but not for his enemies. The Son of David, being David’s Lord, does better than David.)

There are definite points in favor of some kind of penal atonement theory, with the Son suffering along with sinners, and even with the Son dying instead of sinners; but the standard PSA models where the Father is angry and needs to punish someone so the Son volunteers to be the victim of the punishment and in return the Father agrees to let the guilty go free, is not in the least coherent with trinitarian theology. Nor is the idea that justice is primarily about wrath and punishment and hurting other people. I rejected that long before I was ever a Christian universalist. Justice is primarily about fulfilling fair-togetherness between persons (what the scriptures in Greek call {dikaiosune}), which is what happens in and as the Trinity as the one and only substantial self-existent ground of all reality. Love and justice are basically the same thing, the action and the result of the action. We’re expected to become just (not in a legal fiction of being righteous, but actually righteous), and once evil is done away with we will live in justice with one another not injustice. That couldn’t possibly mean we’re in punitive wrath (or any other kind of wrath) against each other ever after!

Regarding Hebrews 9 (from notes I’ve been working up for the Exegetical Commentary project): the Hebraist is about how previous high priests, even if they kept off judgment for the people by sacrificing something other than themselves, still were mortal and died. By contrast, Christ sacrifices Himself to put the covenant of salvation in effect, since a covenant is never in force while the one who made it lives but is valid only when the one who makes it dies (9:16-17)–which is why those who could not live after dying sacrificed other lives belonging to them in representation of themselves. And yet Christ lives eternally to put that covenant of salvation in effect: a covenant God makes with Israel, which Israel is supposed to keep, but which the Son (acting as the perfect Israel, the perfect prince of God) perfectly keeps and puts into effect.

And what is the covenant that Christ puts into effect by dying and yet living? The Hebraist talks about it at 10:16, quoting Jer 31:33, “This is the covenant that I will make with them, after those days, says YHWH” (referring to the days of Israel’s punishment for her sins and the coming Day of the Lord). “I will put My laws upon their heart, and upon their mind I will write them. And their sins and their rebellions I will remember no more.” “Now where there is forgiveness of these things,” comments the Hebraist, “there is no longer an offering for sin.”

If the Father and the Son do not keep acting in solidarity with that covenant They have made with each other, as a promissory to the covenant YHWH will eventually make with penitent Israel after their days of punishment, then They are breaking covenant with each other, which would put Them on par with sinners who break their covenants with God. A mere static establishment isn’t enough, just like a promise to keep the covenant isn’t enough for a human: They have to perform, and to keep performing. And the Hebraist emphasizes that this covenant which will be made by God with penitent and previously punished Israel in the Day of the Lord to come, was first put into true and perfect effect as a covenant between Son and Father with the death of Christ (the Son being faithful unto death for the Father, and the Father being faithful beyond death for the Son).

To cease seeking, or never to seek, to bring about salvation of sinners from sin, would be for the Persons of God to break covenant with each other on that topic, too.

(This has some strong relation to the Abrahamic covenant of Genesis 18, discussed by Paul in Galatians; I just got finished writing an extensive article talking about this toward the end, over at the Cadre Journal, in connection with the question of how far the ontology of supernaturalistic theism means that God is authoritatively responsible for my sin. I’m convinced this is the key to the notion of Christ dying in place of sinners, not only along with sinners in sharing the penalty. But wrath of the Father against the Son has nothing to do with it.)

This is the heart of the gospel: Justification on the merits of the finished work of Jesus Christ.

God made a covenant with Adam (and all his posterity in him). Adam disobeyed and brought condemnation on himself and all his posterity (Rom 5:12).

God made a covenant with Jesus Christ, the second Adam (Rom 5:18,19). Reconciliation requires that the penal sanctions of the disobedience of Adam and all his posterity be fully expiated and a perfect righteousness imputed.

It is through covenant union to Jesus Christ that we are justified.

Please expand on why you believe the Pactum salutis is inconsistent with trinitarian theology.

Justification is a legal declaration. It is the opposite of condemnation. By justification one is declared righteous. For the sinner to be justified requires that his sins be expiated and that he have a perfect righteousness. Jesus Christ fully expiated the sins of those connected to him in his death (this is referred to as the passive obedience of Christ) and his perfect obedience is imputed to all who are in union with him (this is referred to as the passive obedience of Christ). It is on the merits of the active and passive obedience of Christ that God justifies us.

First, the work of Jesus Christ is no legal fiction. He obeyed and his obedience is perfect righteousness.

Second, you are mixing justification with sanctification. We do not become just, we are declared just. We become righteous through sanctification. Justification is on the merits of alien righteousness; sanctification is the work of the Spirit within us. He regenerates us and enables us to grow by the means of grace (word, sacrament and prayer). We cooperate in the process of sanctification by availing ourselves to the means of grace. Sanctification results in the fruits of obedience.

With this I am coming to agree. That is why I am here.

The only difference I’d make in the above is that a “testament” is valid only when the one who makes it dies.

This was a gradual process for me too. My first concern was to decide if Scripture taught that all would be reconciled. Then as that assurance began to settle in, I started to find that other things I had assumed were true didn’t seem to fit any more.

It’s not the work of Christ that is a legal fiction, it is the “imputation” of that righteous to sinners that creates the legal fiction. God does not justify the wicked.

Sonia

Then we have no hope. The declaration of Romans 3:11 “There is none righteous” condemns us all.