The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Father has given all things to the Son

I think these are some verses that, when taken together, provide strong scriptural evidence for universalism.

Matthew 11
*27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. *

John 3:35
The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand.

John 13
3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God, 4 rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist.

The purpose for giving all things into the Son’s hands is stated:

John 17
*When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. *

So what do you guys think? Are these texts evidence for universalism?

Yep, I used John 17 myself as a key text in the first TEUS ep, concerning John’s report of what Jesus talked about.

All “things” would definitely include people, right?

John 17
When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.
qaz

I think this shows it is God’s will that everyone s/b saved as Paul said too and also Jesus is called “the Savior of the World” but if people have free will then despite these verses it seems possible people can freely choose to walk away from God.

Steve, someone could make a philosophical argument against universalism, and then use that argument to offer a non-universalist interpretation of these verses. I am merely saying these texts provide prima facie evidence for universalism.

I am merely saying these texts provide prima facie evidence for universalism.
qaz

Print view this post

That fine but to me it reveals God’s will , which some other verses also establish but it doesn’t address man’s free will to reject God.
The way it could be a statement of UR is if it is a prophetic statement so perhaps a greek expert here could look into this?

I’m no Greek expert, but I look at them as prophetic.