The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Imperishable Body in Heaven

Well if it’s a hypothesis then we really don’t know it. A material resurrected body would wear out as we know it, but Paul didn’t contrast spiritual with physical he contrasted spiritual with natural therefore i think he means our resurrected bodies are physical and supernatural. The laws of this universe may or may not apply in heaven including thermodynamics and even if they do apply God can still create something higher then these laws.

That is correct. A hypothesis is a tentative explanation and is usually constructed to provide a test against observations.

Of course.

But Paul contrasted several things in 1 Corinthians 15. Among them, he contrasted perishable (i.e., “subject to decay”) with imperishable (i.e., “not subject to decay”).

1 Corinthians 15:42 “So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body;”

But that is a hypothesis, too.

It could just as well be that he means our resurrected bodies are imperishable and spiritual, as suggested by these two verses.

1 Corinthians 15:42 “So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body;”

1 Corinthians 15:44 “It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. . . .”

Thus, a perishable body could be seen as natural and an imperishable body could be seen as spiritual.

So our best example, well heck, our ONLY example, is that Jesus’ body was sown a natural body, and raised physically as a spiritual body. It was changed, but still physical.
I enjoy the speculations; I also am comforted that a body such as mine can be kept - because the body is a good thing - and clothed with immortality.

A few more clues about our resurrected state:

Matthew 8:11
I tell you, many will come from east and west and sit at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven,

Matthew 26:29
I tell you I shall not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.

Mark 12:25
When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

Luke 24:41-42
41 But while they still did not believe for joy, and marveled, He [the resurrected Jesus] said to them, “Have you any food here?”
42 So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb.

John 20:19
On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

1 Like

If you’re going to criticize another in a post, it may be wise to have nothing to criticize in that very post. But, alas, your paint’s should be paints."

Other than that, your response was funny.

I wonder what Got Questions, has to say? :crazy_face:

Here’s an interesting article, in today’s Patheos Catholic newsletter.

1 Like

Excellent references.

The first reference says this.

“We get a glimpse of what our resurrection bodies will be like when we recall Jesus’ post-resurrection appearances. He still had visible wounds, and His disciples could physically touch Him, yet He was able to travel effortlessly and appear and disappear at will. He could go through walls and doors yet could also eat and drink and sit and talk. Scripture informs us that our “lowly bodies” will be just “like His glorious body” (Philippians 3:21). Indeed, the physical limitations imposed by sin that hinder our ability to fully serve Him on earth will be forever gone, freeing us to praise and serve and glorify Him for eternity.”

1 Corinthians 15:49 also tells us our resurrected body will bear the image of Jesus.

“And just as we have borne the image of the earthly man, so shall we bear the image of the heavenly man.”

Thus, according to these references, resurrected bodies, though they will be material, will also be spiritual, imperishable, and supernatural. The supernatural nature of the resurrection body permits a material body to be imperishable, just as it is in resurrected Jesus.

OK. now with the difficulty of a material, imperishable body out of the way, can we work on the supernatural?

What do you have in mind? Perhaps what a Shaolin Buddhist priest, can potentially do? First, we must all walk successfully (on the rice paper) - to find out. :crazy_face:

Ahh Randy, where were you earlier? IF ONLY you could have made your GotQuestions post immediately after this…

…you would have allayed lancia’s confusion with certainty.

1 Like

Now when he had spoken these things while they watched, he was taken up and a cloud received him out of their sight And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as he went up , behold two men stood by them in white apparel who also said “Men of Galilee why do stand there gazing into heaven? This same Jesus who was taken up from you into heaven will so come in like manner as you saw him go into heaven.” Acts 1.9-11

I probably was watching some “non-redeeming” superhero or zombie TV shows. :wink: