the use of aion in Plato and John of Damascus

I seem to recall the Chrysostom uses it in the sense of eternal or everlasting elsewhere. Maybe I can find it…

Concerning Plato, I still would be interested what your opinion on my interpretation is, ironically it is Origen who is said to have been a Platonist, yet he used aionios in a limited sense, which he would not have done, if with aionios Plato meant endless.

Concerning Chrysostom, if I remember right he used not aionios but a form of the noun aion, I was not able to find the proper Greek passage.

You’ll find Greek sources of him there:

documentacatholicaomnia.eu/2 … nctus.html

This might be the writing, but is quite large:

documentacatholicaomnia.eu/0 … s,_MGR.pdf

One can find the quote in English on the following site—fifth paragraph down.

newadvent.org/fathers/230104.htm

It seems the translators have rendered “αιωνιος” as “of this age.” I could not find the quote in Greek and so I was unable to verify that the adjective “αιωνιος” (lasting) was used, and not the noun “αιων” (age).

I once checked it in Greek, but its years ago and I think it was aioni, which is a form of the noun?

Hi all, interesting topic. I hope you see this as this topic hasn’t been active for a while but I have a few questions.

“For Plato, forms, such as beauty, are more real than any objects that imitate them. Though the forms are timeless and unchanging, physical things are in a constant change of existence. Where forms are unqualified perfection, physical things are qualified and conditioned.[13]”

Does this mean physical things cannot be timeless?

It’s aionios, an adjective, Strongs # 166, the same word used at Mt.25:46:

“For that his kingdom is of this age,(αἰώνιος) i.e., will cease with the present age(αιώνι) …” (Homily 4 on Ephesians, Chapter II. Verses 1-3).

newadvent.org/fathers/230104.htm

Where aionios is clearly of finite duration.

See page 137, line 21 of the Greek text here:

For other ancient examples of aionios as a finite duration:

Whoa… what did Plato believe?? That was a trippy description of creation and not as… unbiblical as I expected. Reminds me of how I felt when I read Josephus, as if he were writing commonly known truths at that time that I’d never heard of before but seemed as if they were well known by the ancients of that time. Very cool, I’ll have to read further into this.