The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Theistic definition of "coincidence."

From my Catholic book “Pope Fiction” - This demonstrates that the Popes name doesn’t add up to 666 in Latin.

Fiction 5

The pope is the beast spoken of in Revelation 13. Verse 1 says that he wears crowns and has “blasphemous names” written on his head. Verse 18 says that the numerical value of his name adds up to 666. The pope’s official title in Latin is Vicarius Filii Dei (Vicar Son of God). If you add that up using Roman numerals, you get 666. The pope’s tiara is emblazoned with this title, formed by diamonds and other jewels.boxes

Certain Latin letters have numerical value (as do all Hebrew and Greek letters), and any name tranliterated into Latin (or Hebrew, or Greek) can be taken to have a numerical value.

So if a name adding up to 666 in Latin has nothing to do with Revelation 13:18, wouldn’t the fact that such a name adds up to that number be an extraneous circumstance, a coincidence, or a meaningless concurrence?

Take your pick, but wouldn’t it have to be a coincidence (in some since of the word) that the Latin version of Luther’s name added up to 666, if he wasn’t the anti-Christ?

And that Ronald Wilson Reagan (who I voted for) had six letters in each of his names (which, given our numbering system, could be taken to represent the one’s column, the tens column, and the hundreds column) if he wasn’t the anti-Christ?

Actually, it says a little more than that.

It says

biblehub.com/revelation/13-18.htm

I’m not sure what that means.

Maybe time will tell.

Acording to Saint Irenaeus, it reffers to “Latinos.”

(Saint Irenaeus, Against Heresies, Book V, ch. 29).

And that could point to Nero, Domitian, Mussolini, or some future dictator of European descent.

Then, if their names add up to six hundred and sixty six in Latin, or Hebrew, or Greek it couldn’t be related to Revelation 13:18 as anything but an extraneous circumstance, conurrence, or “coincidence,” right?

But even if there were some other reason, the Revelation 13:18 concurrece would just be a “coincidence” (or extraneous circumstance), right?

Kinda irrelevant since the question here isn’t whether the Pope (or Luther) are anti-Christ, but whether the word “coincidence” can have any meaningful definition for a Theist.

I believe that it can.

Your co-religionists at “New Advant” used the word here.

newadvent.org/library/almanac_thisrock92.htm

But I thought you were arguing that it has no meaning for a Theist?

MIcheal read my post right before your last one from my book “Pope Fiction”. Even in Latin “Vicar of Christ” doesn’t add up to 666

No, but “vicar of the son of God” does add up to 666 in Latin, and I believe some popes have refered to themselves as such.

And the title was used in the Decretals of Constantine, which (forgery or not) was intrumental in strengthening papal claims in the West.

But all this is nothing more than a side issue here.

Are you saying that Luther, Ellen Gould White. and Ronald Wilson Reagan are anti-Christs because there’s a concurrence between the number 666, the beast of revelation, and their names?

And if not, this concurrence would be a extraneous circumstance (or “coincidence”) would it not?

Again from the holy teacher in my book “Pope Fiction”:

You said:

Again, 666 isn’t the only condition. The Beast is a man of exceeding cruelty, moral depravity, a persecutor of Christians, and demands to be worshipped as God along with many other things. That’s how he is identified. It fits Nero in 70 A.D. For His name also adds up to 666. Therefore, we can exclude these people as being the “Beast”. Their names add up to 666 for some other reason known only to God. Let’s turn to the good saint (Thomas Aquinas) once again: