The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Thoughts On This?

I know it wasn’t Clement of Rome because I have read his letter to the Corinthians many times. Also, to make doubly sure, I did a search in that letter. It’s not there.

Though there are several other writings that were ascribed to him, they are now believed not to be his.
In all likelihood, his letter to the Corinthians, written in the late first century, is the genuine writing of Clement’s that has survived.

Quotes of church fathers in English are rather worthless since they might be mistranslated, I stumpled about this quote:

Letter to Diognetus (A.D. 125-200)

“You should fear what is truly death, which is reserved for those who will be condemned to the eternal fire. It will afflict those who are committed to it even to the end.”

How is this meant to be understood in the context of eternal fire?

Others like Jerome are said to have been secret universalists, single quotes prove nothing.

1 Like

English is not my native language, to me the quote is nonsensical which implies a mistranslation in the first place. I suppose you’re a native speaker yet you do not understand the quote which further supports my point of view that English quotes of church fathers are worthless altogether.

1 Like

First, one must understand that “eternal” is not a good translation of “αιωνιος.” The word is often used in reference to that which is temporary. It was used by the Jewish historian Josephus to describe the period in which Jonathan was in prison. It is said that he was there for three years. In any case he wasn’t imprisoned eternally. An appropriate translation of “αιωνιος” is “lasting.” Fire is a purifying agent. God’s “fire” is his purification of those who will be raised in the resurrection of judgment. This “fire” will afflict them until the end—that is until the end of their rebellion— until they repent (have a change of mind and heart).

1 Like