The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Unspoken Sermons in Audio and Video Format

November’s Unspoken Sermon is “Abba, Father”. It, along with “Justice”, “Creation in Christ” and “The Child in the Midst” reveal root aspects of MacDonald’s theology perhaps more than anywhere else. It’s an interesting work in that he does not hesitate to delve into the Greek and he quotes a ton of Scripture. In fact I’d be willing to bet that he directly quotes and alludes to Scripture in this sermon as much or more than any other. (Though I haven’t made a count!)

My personal encounter with the sermon is interesting – at least from my perspective. At first exposure I thought to myself, “Gee, this just doesn’t really hit home with me” - which kinda surprised me as the other sermons I’d read had really struck a chord. Probably this had something to do with the fact that I am adopted and thus never thought of the doctrine of adoption (which the sermon is combating) as anything alien. However, upon further pondering GMD’s thrust began to sink in and I began to get a hold of his thoughts. In a nutshell, “The consequence [of adoption] might be small where earthly fatherhood was concerned, but the very origin of my being—alas, if he be only a maker and not a father! Then am I only a machine, and not a child—not a man! It is false to say I was created in his image!” Of course it hardly needs to be said that MacDonald was in no way speaking against adoption in family life. I understand that he and his wife adopted two children. Also he states, “… much love may lie in adoption…”

Audio: upload.librivox.org/share/upload … donald.mp3
Video: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … re=viewall
Annotated Outlines - georgemacdonald.info/unspoken_sermons.html (to be posted in a day or two)

Cool quotes:
*A devout and honest scepticism on God’s side, not to be put down by anything called authority, is absolutely necessary to him who would know the liberty wherewith Christ maketh free. Whatever any company of good men thinks or believes, is to be approached with respect; but nothing claimed or taught, be the claimers or the teachers who they may, must come between the soul and the spirit of the father, who is himself the teacher of his children.

As no scripture is of private interpretation, so is there no feeling in human heart which exists in that heart alone, which is not, in some form or degree, in every heart;

The refusal to look up to God as our Father is the one central wrong in the whole human affair; the inability, the one central misery: whatever serves to clear any difficulty from the way of the recognition of the Father, will more or less undermine every difficulty in life.

…if he be only a maker and not a father! Then am I only a machine, and not a child—not a man! It is false to say I was created in his image!

God can no more than an earthly parent be content to have only children: he must have sons and daughters — children of his soul, of his spirit, of his love—not merely in the sense that he loves them, or even that they love him, but in the sense that they love like him, love as he loves.

It can come only of unbelief and not faith, to make men believe that God has cast them off, repudiated them, said they are not, yea never were, his children

Because we are the sons of God, we must become the sons of God.

When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world; he may walk on the sea like his Lord; the deadliest thing will not he able to hurt him:

We are the sons of God the moment we lift up our hearts, seeking to be sons—the moment we begin to cry Father. But as the world must be redeemed in a few men to begin with, so the soul is redeemed in a few of its thoughts and wants and ways, to begin with: it takes a long time to finish the new creation of this redemption. Shall it have taken millions of years to bring the world up to the point where a few of its inhabitants shall desire God, and shall the creature of this new birth be perfected in a day? The divine process may indeed now go on with tenfold rapidity, for the new factor of man’s fellow-working, for the sake of which the whole previous array of means and forces existed, is now developed; but its end is yet far below the horizon of man’s vision:—

When we are the sons of God in heart and soul, then shall we be the sons of God in body too: ‘we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.’

Right opinion on questions the most momentous will deliver no man. Cure for any ill in me or about me there is none, but to become the son of God I was born to be.

Until such I am, until Christ is born in me, until I am revealed a son of God, pain and trouble will endure—and God grant they may!*

In Christ,

David

December’s Unspoken Sermon is a little late. I didn’t just miss the targeted month, but the targeted year as well!

The sermon is “The Final Unmasking” and focuses on the unveiling Jesus teaches about in Matthew 10:26 and Luke 12:2, “For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known.” It’s probably a good choice to consider as the New Year is upon us. The good and the bad we do cannot finally be hidden. All will be made known.

Video: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7E962DEEB9DECBA2
Annotated Outlines - georgemacdonald.info/unspoken_sermons.html (to be posted in a day or two)

Choice Quotes:

In Christ,

David

This month’s Unspoken Sermon is “The Inheritance”. Want to know what George thinks of heaven? Well this is the sermon!

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=JVdcdNah … 2E04511D33

In Christ,

David

I’m happy to announce that Librivox has released my recording of Unspoken Sermons! You can download the finished work at librivox.org/unspoken-sermons-by … macdonald/. At one time you could find Librivox recordings on iTunes but I wasn’t able to find the release there so I’m not sure if it’ll show up eventually or not.

If you’ve downloaded the sermons as I’ve recorded them, you may or may not wish to redownload them as corrections that were made were fairly minor.

In Christ,

David

David,

You did a great job on those audio recordings. I literally looked you up after listening to a number of those sermons online to thank you for a job well done. I didn’t know it would take me to this website… Not that I care, as I already was a member here earlier. Blessings to you.

This is very cool!

I’m getting a ‘website not available’ msg?

Does anyone have a link that DOES work? I’d really love to hear these sermons. Thanks.

Greetings, All. I’m happy to hear that the GMD recordings are being listened to. Unspoken Sermons is a goldmine which, in my humble opinion, is underutilized and I’m happy to do anything I can do to be of help to correct that underutilization.

The Librivox website appears to be down this morning! Hopefully that will be corrected soon. In the meantime you can access videos of the Unspoken Sermons at youtube.com/channel/UCvMZ8cclIzf0vnyBwVdh4ig.

In Christ,

David

Dave,

You could try doing it longhand, go to “librivox.org”, and enter “Unspoken Sermons” in the search bar. This is how I found these recordings a few months back.

Thanks! - it looks like that part of the site is down momentarily. I just pm’d David and he agreed.
I will try your method a little later.

edit: It’s up now!

I asked a friend about adoption in the Bible & he told me about this sermon… Wow! “Coming-of-age” makes way more sense than the mainstream “adoption” interpretation, which implies some people are God’s children & others aren’t.

Yes, I cannot abide the Greek word being translated as “adoption”. I prefer to translate it as “sonship”.

We have always been and are unavoidably God’s children. That said, we must become true children, doing the will of our Father.

I haven’t watched the sermon yet, but I’d just like to point out that ‘adoption’ in the NT isn’t like adoption today, where you take a child who is not genetically your own offspring, as a fosterling. As great as that is both for the child and the new parents, it’s my understanding that this is NOT what’s in view in the NT.

Apparently, in this kind of adoption, a child is ‘no better than a slave’ so long as s/he is in the charge of tutors and stewards, etc., though the child is the heir of all.’ Once the child is fully trained, the father decrees it’s time for his “coming out” (so to speak.) THIS is the adoption. The father recognizes his son as ready to legally represent the family, conduct business, fulfill responsibilities, etc. The difference between the child and the adopted son isn’t one of bloodlines. It’s a matter of maturity. At least, that’s the way I understand this.