The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What Bible Translation do you use?

Interesting. Then why do so many say it’s authorized by God and that its the ultimate bible to use and Holy Spirit protected?

An interesting bit of trivia: one reprint of the King James Bible in 1631 became known as “The Wicked Bible” since, in the ten commandments, the word “not” in the sentence “Thou shalt not commit adultery” was inadvertently omitted, so that the the sentence became “Thou shalt commit adultery”.

You can check this out by doing a search of “The Wicked Bible”.

Personally, I think it’s because those many are insecure, and need to have a flawless bible which they think God either wrote, dictated to the writers, or inspired the writers in such a way that the bible is infallible and without error. If you point out any factual errors in the bible, these people need to deny it, in order to preserve their faith. They will explain the errors away.

For example:
Then was fulfilled what had been spoken by the prophet Jeremiah, saying, “And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him on whom a price had been set by some of the sons of Israel, and they gave them for the potter’s field, as the Lord directed me.” (Matthew 27:9,10)

The quoted words are not found in the book of Jeremiah, but similar words are found in Zechariah. But instead of admitting that Matthew may have made an error, these people will focus on the fact that the text says “spoken” by Jeremiah, not “written”. So they say that Jeremiah spoke the words, and Zechariah recorded them in his writing.

A second example:

*It was also about these [ungodly people} that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, “Behold, the Lord came with ten thousands of his holy ones,to execute judgment on all and to convict all the ungodly of all their deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.” (Jude 1:14,15)[/i]

Jude clearly stated in the passage above that it was the historic Enoch (the seventh from Adam) who gave this prophecy.
These words are found in “the Book of Enoch”, which still exists today. I remember being very excited to get my hands on a copy — this would have to have been the most ancient book in existence! I finally managed to get a copy. Yes, I found those very words written in the Book of Enoch! But much of the rest of the book stated things which are quite foreign to us today. It speaks of a number of “gates” through which the sun, moon, and stars pass through. Also, it now known that the Book of Enoch was written in the first or second century B.C. So it was written prior to Jude’s mention of it. Thus clearly Jude got the words from the Book of Enoch and not the other way around. Where Jude made his mistake, was in stating that this prophecy was given by the historic Enoch, the seventh from Adam.

Those who look to Christ as their chief authority rather than to the bible, do not have their faith demolished just because there are factual errors in the Bible. The object of their faith is Christ and not the bible. Of course, they value the bible as a record of what Christ did and taught. The very fact that the four gospels are not in agreement in some respects is evidence of their historical nature. Historians seem never to be in agreement about the facts. If the gospels were in complete harmony, one might suspect that they were contrived.*

Paidion, that’s really interesting. Thanks for that bit of info. :slight_smile:

So you think its only because of insecurity that so many say it’s authorized by God and Holy Spirit protected? Did they start it? I mean, how did that ball get rolling?

I’m not sure how that ball got rolling, Caroleem, but I’m going to make an educated guess.

In the Catholic Church of the middle ages, there were Church authorities, and one chief Authority — the Pope. What the Church ruled, was accepted by the people without question, for it was understood that the Pope was the vicar of Christ, and that his word was infallible when he spoke ex cathedra.

When the Protestant Reformation began (or as Catholics call it, “the Protestant Revolution”), those who protested had been Catholics. They were used to an infallible authority to tell them what to do, and what was true, and now since they left the Catholic Church, what would that infallible authority be? It couldn’t be a human authority, since to them, the human church authorities proved to be in error, and so new Protestant authorities could fall into error, too. The Bible! Ah hah! That would be their infallible authority. That would replace the pope and the archbishops of Rome.

The Protestants called their authority, the bible, “The Word of God”. The expression “the word of God” occurs a number of times in the bible, but NOT ONCE does it refer the bible itself. It sometimes refers to Christ, since He was the expression of God on earth, and in the book of Acts, it refers to the gospel.

In the Old Testament, the phrase “The word of God” meant … well, exactly THAT. When God revealed something to one of the prophets, the thing revealed was called, “The word of God.” For example, it was written that “The word of God came to Isaiah”, and this was followed by a statement about what God had said to him."

Thanks Paidion. I would say that’s a pretty good educated guess. :slight_smile:

ESV and NRSV. Mostly I read the NRSV if I’m looking for a plain reading. But, generally, I got dissatisfied with the English translations (I’m extremely picky with translations with pretty much anything, let alone God’s word), so I’m learning Koine Greek now and I usually read the interlinear Bible online.

I have MANY translations in my Online Bible Program on my computer.
I regularly look at translations in the ESV, NASB, and the NKJV, although I also refer to the NIV, the NRSV, and the YLT.

I also check out the Greek of the New Testament in the WH Classic, and in the Old Testament, the LXX (Septuagint).