The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What books are our members reading? Post updates freely! {g}

More Wrath More Reward — more from ‘Irrevocable’ — really interesting…

1 Like

From James Jordan, The Vindication of Jesus Christ. A freebie download from Kindle Unlimited. I’m enjoying it though I must say, Jordan seems to go out on some pretty long limbs in trying to interpret some passages.
OTOH this is a remarkable paragraph from Chapter 1:
"

Alas, a few pages later there is this remarkable - for the wrong reason IMO - paragraph

Jordan does write some really interesting stuff… he is of course a partial prêterist, where I once was, i.e., inconsistent; so I can appreciate where he’s coming from.

A tidbit from his commentary on Rev. 17:

Ok, finished that one - it’s very short. Some good food for thought.
Still cannot sleep, so downloaded another freebie by Jordan - 43 pages, basically a long essay.
From the intro: notice the phrase “next several thousand years”. !!!
Sorry about the large font - this is a picture file, not a Word file, so I can’t change the size.

Yep, this reflects Jordan’s postmillennialism… which long-term positivity was a key aspect of that view that grabbed me and led me to giving up my inherited amillennial stance — both somewhat similar with their interpretive genre, BUT poles apart when it came to future victorious expectations; with my former view being far more in-line with pessimistic down-in-the-mouth ‘this world is getting worse and worse and I’m just waiting for Jesus to come and rescue me out of here’ premillennialism.

Jesus didn’t come to start a new religion, but to finish an old one. Here’s a another really thought-provoking podcast on Romans 9—11 from ’Irrovocable’

I gave it a listen and yeah, it certainly is thought-provoking.

1 Like

I just reread this book:

Now I’m reading this book:

Both books have interesting perspectives on Christ (as well as Native American spirituality, in the first one).

This is thought-provoking also. From an essay on Charles Taylor’s The Secular Age:
sorry about the font

I am not that much of a book reader out side of the bible. The last book I read was a presentation for Annihilationism by Edward William Fudge, in his book [The Fire That Consumes.] My reading of this book was at a time when I was Questioning E/T, and his biblical presentation of total annihilationism seemed a pretty attractive proposal over E/T. But it was Mr Fudges own comments on E/U that furthered me to leave behind his very own presentation. Speaking of Evangelical Universalism Mr Fudge says :- …

“ This evangelical universalism cannot be so easily dismissed, for it affirms the awfulness of sin, the requirement of atonement, the uniqueness of Jesus Christ, the reality of final judgment and the necessity of hell “

This is interesting as I have been, because of my studies, trying not to read the Bible. (this will be bad…)
And the focus of my reading has been on human development. Progression of the human race is an interesting study. And it really has some eye opening and interesting topics. If you are interested, check out integral theory. You will be blessed.
So my book reading today is T.E.Lawrence, ‘Seven Pillars Of Wisdom’ which has little to do with wisdom in the common sense, but much to do with the understanding of the Arab’s fight in the first world war.

Is the Author Ken Wilber ?

Asking Chad.

Yes, Ken Wilber is a proponent of the integral theory, and his book ‘A Theory of Everything’ explains fairly well But also is the subject (Which Wliber touches on in this book) of spiral dynamics, which in a nutshell, re examines human evolution. The Idea was originally introduced by Clare Graves, and was carried on by two chaps, Don Beck and Christopher Cowan. Great stuff!

Cast Away — more from Irrevocable pt. 15…

I am presently reading David Bentley Hart’s “That All Shall Be Saved”. It’s taking me some time to read because I have to look up the meaning of many of the words he uses! - and he’s writing in English, not Greek. That’s my only negative about his writing.

A stunning reexamination of one of the essential tenets of Christian belief from one of the most provocative and admired writers on religion today

The great fourth-century church father Basil of Caesarea once observed that, in his time, most Christians believed that hell was not everlasting, and that all would eventually attain salvation. But today, this view is no longer prevalent within Christian communities.

In this momentous book, David Bentley Hart makes the case that nearly two millennia of dogmatic tradition have misled readers on the crucial matter of universal salvation. On the basis of the earliest Christian writings, theological tradition, scripture, and logic, Hart argues that if God is the good creator of all, he is the savior of all, without fail. And if he is not the savior of all, the Kingdom is only a dream, and creation something considerably worse than a nightmare. But it is not so. There is no such thing as eternal damnation; all will be saved. With great rhetorical power, wit, and emotional range, Hart offers a new perspective on one of Christianity’s most important themes.

David Bentley Hart is an Eastern Orthodox scholar of religion, and a philosopher, writer, and cultural commentator. His books include The Experience of God and The New Testament.

Norm - please keep us posted on your thoughts about the book. I agree that his vocabulary can be challenging!

I’m reading Blackjack for Blood! Really good and I was thinking maybe the blood part has something to do with Christ!

I am now reading ‘Seven Pillars Of Wisdom’ by T.E. Lawrence. The intro does say not much for pillars of wisdom, but it is a good read… The Arabic war during WW1. Interesting reading.