The Evangelical Universalist Forum

what does aionios means?

Jason, translation does involve more than a little interpretation and the “meaning” of the context can be informed by many things that were not necessarily in the mind of the original author. So I wonder if everlasting, in the sense of endless time or timeless eternity, is an intended meaning we can attribute to the various authors of the Tanakh.
To illustrate this:

Jewish Complete Bible
When he stands up, the earth shakes;
when he looks, the nations tremble,
the eternal mountains are smashed to pieces,
the ancient hills sink down;
the **ancient **paths are his.

NIV
He stood, and shook the earth;
he looked, and made the nations tremble.
The ancient mountains crumbled
and the age-old hills collapsed.
His ways are eternal.

21st Century KJV
He stood and measured the earth;
He beheld and drove asunder the nations;
and the everlasting mountains were scattered,
the perpetual hills did bow. His ways are everlasting.

Young’s Literal Tranlation
He hath stood, and He measureth earth,
He hath seen, and He shaketh off nations,
And scatter themselves do mountains of antiquity,
Bowed have the hills of old, The ways of** old** [are] His.

“Eternal” and “everlasting” convey a very different meaning from “ancient” and “old.” The Jewish version and Young’s are much close to the actual meaning of olam. There is nothing in the immediate context that compels the use of everlasting or eternal. What does however inform the choice of those words is a larger doctrinal agenda that those particular translators wish to support. Choosing to translate olam as everlasting is really redundant. That God has always existed and always will is a given and saying that he is everlasting is stating a redundancy. By doing that it is in fact obscuring a deeper more profound meaning about the nature of God, which the psalmist is trying to convey.

The Hebrew meaning of olam “being beyond the horizon” suggests that is more about a quality than a quantity. More specifically what issues or comes from God.

“Before the mountains were brought forth or ever You had formed and given birth to the earth and the world, even from olam (far beyond the horizon) to olam (far beyond the horizon)You are God.” Ps 90:2 Here the passage repeats olam to convey a superlative. Hebrew has no way to say something is “best” or “greatest” so it doubles a word to give it a superlative.

The extent of God’s agape and passion for His creation is beyond our perception and comprehension–we see through a glass darkly. The self-revelation of God in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ presents us with the best view of what is beyond the far horizon of God’s new creation, at least until the veil is pulled back and His full presence amongst us is seen by all.

Dave,

I’m on record several places (I thought I had mentioned it here in this thread too somewhere) as being much in favor of the notion of {aiônios} in the New Testament, and often that and olam in the OT, meaning that the object the adjective is describing comes uniquely from God.

The verse from Habakkuk that I referenced can be read that way, too. But even if the term is translated “ancient”, I think there’s a very obvious immediate context comparison going on: we might call the hills OLM and AHD and that might be true in one way, but there’s a big qualitative difference between their temporary and impotent OLM and God’s superior and true OLM. His ways are OLM; the ways of the hills aren’t, not really, even though we call them OLM and AHD.

Exactly what that superior OLM means has a major hint in the context: the OLM hills are shattered and bow down to YHWH Whose ways are OLM. The prophecy may not spell out the technical details of ontological superiority there (such as God’s real self-existent original eternity compared to the naturally long-lasting but derivative and temporary hills), but they do fit quite well.

There’s probably a poetic reference to YHWH decisively smashing idolatry, too, looking at local contexts of the prophet and comparing with extended contexts elsewhere in other prophets saying similar things. The false gods enshrined on those hills shall have their temples destroyed and they themselves shall bow in fealty to YHWH eventually thanks to the glorious and terrible advent of YHWH.

(It may, by extended context, also be a reference to YHWH touching down from heaven to save Jerusalem from her ruin at the beginning of the reigning Day of YHWH: at least one of the major prophets, I forget who, says somewhere that when His foot descends to the Mount of Olives outside Jerusalem on that day, the hill will be split in two, one side going north and the other south, also partially collapsing, creating a long valley between them that runs for miles away from Jerusalem parallel to a main road, and which will also apparently connect with Ge-Hinnom valley nearby. The bodies of the slain superarmy attacking and sacking Jerusalem will be burned and buried there during the first seven years of YHWH’s earthly visible reign. How this will, or has been, actually fulfilled I won’t comment on. :wink: But the parallel just occurred to me. The prophets indicate Israel, having returned to Jerusalem from being scattered, will devolve into the worst idolatry again as they had done before the Babylon dispersion, despite God’s grace, and will build idolatry temples on the nearby hills again. I wouldn’t be surprised if one or more of those was envisioned as being destroyed in the immediate vicinity of YHWH’s visible glorious rescue of faithless Jerusalem from her enemies.)

According to Webster’s the English word “aeonian” is from the Greek word “aionios”.

According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary eonian is a variant spelling of aeonian. Another variant is aeonic. They all mean, according to Webster’s definition, “lasting for an immeasurably or indefinitely long period of time”. Webster’s adds “Origin and Etymology of aeonian…from Greek aiṓnios “lasting an age, perpetual” (derivative of aiṓn eon) + 2-an; aeonic from eon + 1-ic”. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eonian

OTOH for the English word “eternal”:

Another dictionary says re eonian “Of, relating to, or constituting an eon” & “eonian - of or relating to a geological eon (longer than an era) aeonian. 2. eonian - continuing forever or indefinitely…” https://www.thefreedictionary.com/eonian

“lasting for an indefinitely long period of time”

http://www.definition.com.co/eonian.html
http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/eonian

“Of, relating to, or constituting an eon”

http://www.memidex.com/eonian+pertaining-adjective

“Of or pertaining to an eon”

https://www.definitions.net/definition/EONIAN

The Concordant Literal New Testament consistently renders aionion as eonian.

As a person who has studied Greek formally for more than three years, and who has studied it informally in context for MANY years, I affirm that the best translation of “αιωνιος” (aionios) is “lasting”.