The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What If?

Crazy math indeed.

The bottom line for me is that I am never going to understand either the Maths (as we say here in the UK) or the convoluted philosophical arguments (despite Jason’s excellent bite-sized series). So I am always going to be swayed by personal experience, autorities on both the secular and theistic sides and plain stubborn-ness :laughing:

so maybe it’s the case that we both stand on opposite sides of the personal incredulity platform. WOW! I have learned something new about myself today :astonished:

Yep, me too. That’s why I love opposing points of view. I appreciate my friends who see eye to eye but the ‘iron sharpens iron’ thing is SO powerful. Especially with people like Michael and James hacking away at my ideas! :mrgreen: And then there’s the dang agnostic doubters :smiling_imp:

It should be noted that I was on your side of the platform and then was catapulted to the other side by personal experience. Let’s face it - God could easily reveal Himself fully to everyone RIGHT NOW if that’s what He wanted.

The problem with the personal experience angle (as in believing someone else’s experiences) is you have to be very close to the person to check out sanity and fruit etc. That’s why I can’t invoke personal experience (with any authority) to those who don’t know me well because, for example, my schizophrenic friend has grand encounters with Jesus and the devil all the time. Since the fruit is confusion and torment and the persons life is in chaos - the delusion is obvious.

One reason my ‘coming out’ as a universalist had some impact - after working in one town with good fruit (and some of the same people) for over 30 years, it’s very difficult for them to dismiss what I’m saying offhand. The pastor even refused to give a public reprimand when some complained that he should (and believe me - he ain’t the shy type about such matters!). He did lay out why he thought I was mistaken but acknowledged that I asked some hard and important questions which he did not have answers for. In the end he chose not to ‘take any chances’ about hell being eternal :open_mouth:

It seems to me that you’d have much the same problem with the big bang.

According to modern physics, time and space began with the big bang.

Before that, you had one incredibly dense singularity.

But without time, there could be no mechanism, no process, no build up of internal forces, that could have brought this singularity to critical mass.

The big bang is therefore, by definition, uncaused.

Returning to the problem you say you have with a personal God, what if God is more than personal?

What if there is some static, timeless, impersonal aspect to God ( His substance, or subconscious, if you like )?

And what if there are two linear time lines ( simultaneously ) extending from this singularity ( one in which a personal God consciously conceives of an infinite creation, and one in which He consciously brings it into reality )?

Would that solve your problem?

Briefly posting in to note that I found Mr. D’s grasp and application of possibility, probability (including mathematically) and certainty, to be pretty weak in his 1996 revision of TBW (which he claimed to have gone over with a fine-toothed comb, for purposes of re-releasing it in conjunction with his new book that year, Climbing Mount Improbable.)

He may have gotten better in the 13 years since then, but I have difficulty believing CMI is much of a step up from TBW-'96.

(Which shouldn’t be construed as a personal observation against probability critiques of fine-tuning design theory; or probability defenses of philosophical naturalism; or other defenses of the probability of neo-Darwinian gradualistic b.e.t whether by Mr. D later or by other authors at any time. :slight_smile: It isn’t even, and cannot be, a personal estimation of the value of CMI on this or any other topic–only an inductive expectation based on the state of TBW that same year as CMI’s release. Inductive expectations can be falsified pretty easily sometimes. :wink: )

Back to work…

It is right to say that the question of the cause or origin of the universe and time and space is a problem whether one invokes a creator or a process - at the end of the day we are all trying to avoid ‘infinite regress’. The theist sees a world crying out for a Personal God (or something less in the worlds of the pantheist etc…); the atheist a blind process. The theist percieves purpose in the universe so looks for a cause that can lead to purposefulness. The atheist sees stuff that just happens and has no need for purpose other than as a result of the way humans have panned out.

For me the ‘stuff just happens’ explanation (if it can be called an explanation :smiley: ) just fits the world as I see it.

I have to say I am getting tired of the infinite regress which is born of the arguments on both sides of this - no-one is ever going to change their minds based on them so I’d rather get back to discussing Universalism - which I don’t seem to have commented on for an age (or should that be an eternity :smiley: )

Thank you Jeff.

No problem Michael - I am the first to admit that I am no deep thinker like many here on the boards and occasionally I have to remind myself that really I’m more of a ‘let everyone believe what they will’ kind of a guy than a ‘my way or the highway’ kind of a guy - especially when I stoop to being boorish and petulant in my approach.

Anyway. Have a good weekend.

Michael: Temptation and adversity may be necessary for growth and character development, but God doesn’t have to create impersonal forces (or mindless robots) to provide these things. Imperfect creatures will create their own trials (and will either be better or worse for the experience).

Tom: I’m late posting as usual. There are several moving pieces to this convo. Thought I’d toss in a few comments and see where they land.

Michael, your comments here pretty much reflect standard soul-making theodicy I think. I have a lot of respect for this position. Most forms of this explanation of evil in the world answer your opening question (to this thread) that there’s just no way God could have created beings ‘perfected’ in the full sense of the word (i.e., with fully developed moral characters, viz., as perfectly loving) apart from progressing into such a state. And with that much I absolutely agree. There’s just no creating beings who are perfectly loving and fully personal from the get go. That sort of character and personal identity—for created, finite creatures—are creative achievements. What God ‘is’, we have to ‘become’. There’s no creating us–poof–finished products.

Where I part from standard soul-making theodicies is that they posit the necessity of actual moral evil (sin) and I’m very suspicious of this. I think I could see my way through to positing the necessity of ‘suffering’ per se (natural evil, for example), but not moral evil. I think I can conceive of a world that was risky and unpredictable and which could ‘hurt’ us, but in which no rational creature need choose to mistrust God. Naturally, I’m separating certain kinds of ‘pain’ and ‘suffering’ from ‘evil’ and ‘sin’. Most like to equate them. I don’t know that that has to be the case.

What I do think has to be the case is the ‘possibility’ for moral evil. If humans are purposed (even in part) for loving, personal relations, then they have to possess the capacity to choose their way into such a state, and that means the capacity for moral evil (sin). This is all standard stuff. My point is that I think I see a need for ‘actual’ pain and suffering in the world, but only the ‘possibility’ of sin. If that’s not maintainable and I have to marry them, fine. I do wonder whether God, in considering this whole project, does not know that eventually moral evil will erupt and pervert creation. (I’m coming at this as an open theist, remember.) And if I’m wrong about separating some forms of ‘pain/suffering’ from moral ‘evil’, then God would know that eventually sin and pain and suffering would occur and spread, in which case I’d be inclined to say nothing connected to ‘sin’ and ‘evil’ is ‘necessary’ to human becoming. I’d jettison the soul-making project at that time, because for me (thanks to David Hart) evil can have nothing positive to add to the explication of created beauty. With the Eastern Orthodox, I’ll argue that ‘evil’ is pure ‘privation’.

About ‘perfection’ though. This admits degrees I think; “perfection with respect to.” Perfection with respect to a two year old will require a height and weight different than perfection in the case of an adult. True, God is unsurpassably perfect (necessarily so). We are created surpassably perfect—that is, we were created all we needed to be in order to become all God intends us to become. We can call this imperfect so long as we don’t read that ‘negatively’ and can say, with God, upon contemplating it, “Hey, that’s ‘good’. I like what I see.” The point is that finiteness, dependency, the capacity to grow, etc., are in fact ‘necessary’ to our ‘becoming’ what God intends. And in Gregory of Nyssa’s view they’re a permanent feature of human being even after the perfections involved in glorification. In his view we’ll always be finite, dependent upon grace, and have the capacity to grow into more of God (even if we WILL finally escape the necessity of libertarian choice and thus risk). That’s why these features of creaturliness (is that a word?) can be “good” (as created, not as marred by sin) even if they’re destined for an ultimate perfection.

Just thoughts,
Tom