The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What is a Christian?

And I think there are good reasons to give up that label. I really like Peter Enns’ stuff. I follow his blog on Patheos.

Religion generally connotes following a set of “rules”, whereas a spiritual person is more interested in truth and transformation than dogma.

Yes, but I think there’s a difference in being reviled for the name of Christ vs. being reviled for things done in the name of Christ that aren’t Christlike.

I’m not sure why it has become so popular today to decry religion. People display signs on their cars, “I’m not religious. I just love Jesus!”

I think many people no longer know what “religious” means. James didn’t decry religion per se. He wrote of religion which is worthless and religion which is pure and undefiled before God.

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. (James 1:26,27)

I suspect it’s that more and more church-ified folk are realising the facade that has paraded itself as “religion” has been more akin to the righteousness-of-self as opposed to that which James properly refers in that text you quote.

I think that is an oversimplification of the term “religion”. It is much more than just observing a “set of rules”. The problem is that religion seems to carry a negative connotation to it, as when people say, “He got religion”, what they really imply is that “He’s off his rocker” or “He went all ‘Jesus’ on us”. Being religious isn’t vogue. However, being spiritual is, apparently.

But, I fail to see why there needs to be a dichotomy between religion and spirituality. Why can’t there be both? I used to snark over formal liturgy, because it seems to me like rote observances over and over (And naturally, we ought to be careful not to fall into ritual habits that become mundane and vain). But I’d speak as an outsider to those things. Yet I’ve met people involved in things like the Mass who insist on telling me that it is a very spiritual, almost mystical thing for them to come to the Lord’s Table, even week after week. Who am I to argue?

For my own church, which is Baptist, our services are loosely formal, but the Pastor is not rigid about it. Sometimes the whole service consists of testimonies from members of the congregation on what God is doing in their lives. Or sometimes we have missionaries tell some amazing stories how God has provided for them and worked in people’s lives in the field in which they work. There is something about being in the house of the Lord with others who love and serve the Lord together. Something you just won’t get by being a stand-alone spiritual person. I know, I’ve tried that. Christianity wasn’t designed to be solitudinal.

It is very tricky to define what a religion is, it might very well turn out to be several phenomena instead of just one.

The self-serving definitions of militant atheists (belief in the supernatural) is really wanting in that it fails to capture many elements of what people understand under that word.

I actually think you’re right about this, Dondi. I agree that that is (partly) an oversimplification of what religion is; it is unfortunately not an oversimplification of what religion often becomes. I also think that there does not need to be a dichotomy between religion and spirituality in theory, but again; the practice is often quite different. For me, making the distinction is about my approach not being confused by a term that for many has become a poisoned well. Mention religion, and the defenses of people will often go up automatically. It’s really just a practical consideration and distinction rather than an actual definition. It’s sort of similar to how the word “gay” is used now vs. what it used to mean. These days, the term is assumed to refer to homosexuality, even though that’s not its original meaning.

I refuse to use the word as a substitute adjective for “homosexual”. The word still means “happy” and “joyful” as it always has. I have have no inclinations toward homosexuality; yet I am often gay.

And that is perfectly right and acceptable. My only point is that, unless you qualify that statement, people will automatically assume something about your meaning (regardless of the assumption being correct or not) based on the current word usage/ understanding.