The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What is inheriting the kingdom?

Is inheriting the kingdom experienced in this life or postmortem?

Before you go there qaz… can you define what you have in mind behind your question, i.e., what do you think ‘inheriting the kingdom’ means?

@davo I’m not sure. I’ve encountered many different theories. Some equate it with getting into heaven. Others say a person who inherits the kingdom has cerain rewards in heaven.

this is the very problem with some of the verbiage of the scriptures…:roll_eyes:

Men took liberties with the scriptures and turned them into die hard must beliefs…

Good luck.

This is why it pays to define terms first… in order to give clarity of question/answer etc.

So what do you think it means?

Now are you going to share your theory?

Well I’m not sure on postmortem per sé, but my understanding on the KoG is that it relates to the rule, reign and sovereignty of God over Israel and was understood as meaning their covenantal exile was nearly over… hence Jesus’ “at hand” statements etc. Israel’s gospel was… Your God reigns, meaning, their hardship was almost over and restoration is on the cusp… this was happening in Jesus, though plenty expected a more tangible scenario where the Messiah would route to Romans etc, Jesus points out however his kingdom wasn’t of that nature.

How did you come to that conclusion? Isn’t inheriting the kingdom, in at least one verse, shown to be synonymous with receiving eternal life.

Well, if you enter in on the reign of God surely that equates to eternal life.

@davo when do you think the kingdom was inherited? On Pentecost? At the parousia? When people die?

In terms of the NT… that 40yr period from Pentecost to Holocaust.

Do you think Christians today inherit the kingdom or was it strictly a 1st century thing?

In terms of the NT writings… the focus was pretty much a 1st century thing, again in terms of all that was leading up to the parousia; BUT, anyone can move in the will of God and so know the blessing of God accordingly, i.e., eternal life, take for example…

Rom 5:17 For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.

I’ve been combing over verses that mention the kingdom. How do you guys explain Matthew 11:12?
From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force.

Here are some verses that lead me to believe that the kingdom is God’s reign on earth, as opposed to a postmortem destination.

Matthew 8:12
while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

IMO it doesn’t make any sense to think of the Jews (i.e. the people whom this verse is speaking of) as sons of a pleasant postmortem destination given the fact that they had never been to such a place. The Jews had on the other hand been the people through whom God ruled on earth.

Matthew 21:43
Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people producing its fruits.

The Jews never possessed a postmortem destination so how could a postmortem destination be taken away from them? The Jews had OTOH possessed God’s reign on earth.

Militating against the aforementioned interpretation of the kingdom is Matthew 26:29
I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

Thoughts? @DaveB2.0 @davo @mcarans

1 Like

There are various stages of the Kingdom. Jesus explained these stages with His Kingdom Parables.

JESUS’ KINGDOM PARABLES

1. Entering the Kingdom

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.Matt 13:44-46

When a person recognizes the exceeding value of the Kingdom, and the quintessence of entering it, he will gladly let go of all of his own aims and ambitions for the sake of the Kingdom.

2. The Growth of the Kingdom

Another parable he put before them, saying, "The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed which a man took and sowed in his field; it is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches."

He told them another parable. “The kingdom of heaven is like leaven which a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, till it was all leavened.” Matt 13:31-33

3. The Purification of the Kingdom at Christ’s Coming (The Fulness of the Kingdom)

Another parable he put before them, saying, "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field; but while men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed darnel among the wheat, and went away. So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the darnel appeared also. And the servants of the householder came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then has it darnel?’

He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Then do you want us to go and gather them?’

But he said, ‘No; lest in gathering the darnel you root up the wheat along with them.

Let both grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, Gather the darnel first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.’" Matt 13:24-30

Jesus Himself explained this parable:

Then he left the crowds and went into the house. And his disciples came to him, saying, “Explain to us the parable of the darnel of the field.”

He answered, "He who sows the good seed is the Son of man; the field is the world, and the good seed means the sons of the kingdom; the darnel are the sons of the evil one, and the enemy who sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the close of the age, and the reapers are angels.

Just as the darnel are gathered and burned with fire, so will it be at the close of the age.

The Son of man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, and throw them into the furnace of fire; there men will weep and gnash their teeth.

Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.

What many are wondering, is if what Jesus did was for all of us no matter what we think, what we do, where we go… The answer is yes. God through the son has reconciled all of us.

We are all reconciled. Sleep well.:wink:

That is exactly contrary to what Jesus taught. He taught that there was a REQUIREMENT for entering the Kingdom.

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

The man had to sell all that he had in order to obtain the treasure that he found hidden in the field. That treasure is the KINGDOM

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.Matt 13:44-46

The merchant had to sell all that he had in order to buy the pearl of great value. That pearl is the KINGDOM.

I appreciate your view, but at the end of the day it is YOUR VIEW. The Gospels were spoken to a given group of people at a given time. You surly can follow his proclamations, but from my view, Christ and God did everything necessary for all of us to know God and be with him. :grin:

As you can see from my previous posts… no arguments from me.

So again my point is… entering that which is of great price, value and worth is service of God, i.e., joining His reign in life — this life, as per Rom 5:17 etc. Anyone can do that BECAUSE we have indeed ALREADY been reconciled.

1 Like