The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What Primitive Baptist Universalists (PBUs) Believe

Strictly speaking Heb 12 says the discipline is given to those whom the Father intends to inherit. That doesn’t necessarily mean they have come to the faith already. But most of what the Hebraist has to say about punitive discipline (including later in Heb 12), is aimed at backsliding Christians, who aren’t in fact being faithful but who are being intentionally treacherous instead.

The upshot is that whomever God disciplines, God intends to inherit.

Thank you, brother.

God doesn’t torture people. His very essence is LOVE (1 John 4:8,16).

The fire of God’s LOVE is immense joy to those who submit to God, but intense pain to those who resist Him.

God so loved/loves the world (Jn.3:16).

Alexander, here are some Scriptures related to chastening or correction:

“Whom the Lord loves, He corrects” (Prov. 3:12)

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. (Rev.3:19)

Deuteronomy 8:5
"Thus you are to know in your heart that the LORD your God was disciplining you just as a man disciplines his son.

Hebrews 12:6
For the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and He chastises everyone He receives as a son."

Psalm 39:11 "With reproofs You chasten a man for iniquity; You consume as a moth what is precious to him; Surely every man is a mere breath. Selah.

Psalm 94:10 He that chastiseth the heathen, shall not he correct? he that teacheth man knowledge, shall not he know?

Proverbs 15:10 There is severe discipline for him who forsakes the way; whoever hates reproof will die.

And when He comes, He will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment (Jn.16:8)

Neither do I. “Fire” is a figurative term for God’s LOVE. Nevertheless, those who resist that LOVE will experience it as pain.

The Orthodox Church holds that everyone ends up in the presence of God after death, and that His children experience Him as Heaven, and those who rebel against Him experience Him as Hell.