The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Who is your favorite Christian mystic?

I guess my first question is this a Christian philosopher of religion who converted to Hinduism? Or just a Christian who is using the Indian philosophy of Vedanta - like medieval theologians used the philosophy of Aristotle and Plato? Not that we should dismiss what he has to say, because of it. He’s still a philosopher with input - whether Eastern or Western philosophy. Michael Sudduth has a PhD in philosophy from Oxford. Personally, I like his background that tries to find common ground between “Christian mysticism, Advaita Vedanta and Zen Buddhism”. Roman Catholicism, in their dialogue with other Christian faiths, have created something called the Christian Ashram Movement. The Second Vatican Council, in its Declaration on Non-Christian Religions, said that

I would also add that Quakerism and Eastern Orthodoxy have always maintained a mystical outlook and worldview.

I don’t know Sudduth at all - I was particularly interested in Bill’s comments on mysticism as necessity once the futility of propositional dogmatics, to achieve Union and Meeting, is accepted.
The comments about the journey to God taking place through the self, in an inner path, and not via dialectic, were also stimulating.

I am not an expert in mysticism. I have practiced Zen meditation and other forms of meditation, with mixed results, but as to the experiences of true Christian mystics I’m in the dark.

My favorite writer on Christian mysticism is Evelyn Underhill

Thanks for the link Randy - I will check it out now!

The book Mysticism by Evelyn Underhill is a classic on the subject. Your local US public library, inter-library loan program (and similar programs in other countries), should be able to obtain a copy.

The wiki you directed me to was very interesting. Interesting also was the mention of Charles Williams, whose novels have always troubled me, for some reason. I’m not saying I don’t enjoy them, because I do - he is a mystic for sure, more than the other inklings.
I’ll try to find UW’s book.

Amazon has her books for kindle - many of them are free or $.99. FYI

If you have an Android tablet, Dave, you can download the Kindle reading app free from Google Play.

Paul of Taursus

I can’t find that one in the Android apps at Google Play. What does it do?

I stumbled across The Big Book of Christian Mysticism: The Essential Guide to Contemplative Spirituality by Carl McColman. I was browsing through it in a bookshop yesterday. It’s guide good and easy to read.

I’m just about finished with the Underhill book “mysticism” at Randy’s recommendation, and I’m very impressed. It has greatly expanded my understanding of the subject. Thanks Randy!