The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Who was Jesus tempted by in the desert?

Hi Cindy

Sorry to take so long to reply, I’m on holiday in the beautiful and sunny South of France. I haven’t seen Galaxy Quest, no. But I have at least heard of it, and Gilligan’s island, so I do get the joke! And yes, we are probably a little like that!

Peace and love to you, sis -if I may be so bold :smiley:

Serious point, actually: despite being a staunch defender of the Mother Tongue :smiley: , a reactionary old cuss who is perplexed and occasionally annoyed by the creeping Americanisation of ‘our’ language, I really like this particular ‘Americanism’. We stuck-up Brits just don’t *do *this kind of affectionate salutation very well. But for us Christians, of whatever nationality, I think it’s an excellent declaration of our status as members of the body of Christ. Does that make sense? :smiley:

All the best

Johnny

Well . . . we could go with:

Grace and peace unto you :slight_smile: It is, perhaps, at least a little more graceful. But yes – peace and love are a great option too! :smiley:

Hi Cindy

Ringo Starr always signs off ‘peace and love’. And being a king Beatles fan I have to say nuff respect to that. :smiley:

But ‘grace and peace unto you’ sounds a lot more Biblical. :smiley:

So, grace and peace unto you, sis. :smiley:

(Although in actual fact, and sorry to be pedantic :smiley: , I was referring to the use of the word ‘sis’ - which to my stiff upper lip empire sensibility is overly familiar for folk who have never actually met, don’t you know, cor strike a perishing light guv’nor, Dick Van Dyke Mary Poppins gawd love ya me old china. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

Anyway, peace love and grace to you Cindy

Johnny

Funny, Johnny! Totally misread what you were saying!

I have had to make a concerted effort to pick up that “brother/sister” stuff, if you want to know. :wink: The reason being that I believe it’s important for us to develop the mindset that we, particularly as fellow followers of Jesus, ARE brothers and sisters in the most important sense of the words. In the larger sense, I believe that we are brothers and sisters with all the people of the world, but ESPECIALLY in the household of faith. I’ve gotten used to using it in print. It’s a little harder/more awkward in person, especially since I’ve never even called or referred to my natural brothers that way. I call them by their names or refer to them as “the boys,” but only to those who don’t know who they are as “my brothers.”

So . . . , direct address, in person . . . I just can’t do it. :laughing: But if the sisters have a get-together, I do make myself say, “The sisters are going to go for coffee tomorrow evening” rather than “the ladies” or “the girls.” On the internet, it’s a kind of term of endearment, especially to a brother or sister I am disagreeing with. I don’t only use it then, but especially then, as I want to make sure the person I’m disagreeing with doesn’t think I’m rejecting HIM/HER.

There you go, then . . . a little window into the convoluted mind-set of Cindy. :wink:

Blessings to you, Brother!

Hey Cindy, dear sister in Christ

Please don’t worry that you’re being convoluted, or anything other than sisterly :smiley: . As I say, I know I’m a miserable old git, and your openness and kindness is like a tonic, a good Yankee anecdote to my grumpy empiricist Jeremiads. (Not that I am classifying you in any way as a ‘Southerner’, of course - I must confess I know five eighths of bugger all about the American Civil War, and even less about your own personal allegiance in that most regrettable incident, from what I read apparently one of the bloodiest wars ever fought in our bloody awful history).

It comes hard - no, not hard, that’s the wrong word, awkward is more accurate - to this uptight Englishman to speak my emotions openly. We just don’t do that over here, old bean :smiley: .

But I would just like to say, at the risk of embarrassing you, glass (or glasses :smiley: ) of wine drunk, that you are a very nice person, a credit to the faith, and a fantastic ambassador for EU.

May the Lord bless you and keep you, dear sis.

Peace and love

Johnny

Thanks so much, Johnny :smiley:

I am so greatly honored to have a kind and sensitive brother like you. :blush:

Love in Jesus – the greatest of the three that remain –

Cindy

This is an interesting thread… and I dig the camaraderie between Johnny and Cindy towards the end. :wink: