The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Why did Paul use "Accursed" and not "Kolasis" punishment

Never denied that “Kolasis” is not necessarily hopeless punishment. But in classical Greek the word “kolasis” was used interchangeably to mean hopeless punishment. The word “kolasis” means “torment” in both Matt 25 and 1 Jn 4. Also “timoria” punishment is used in Heb 10:29.

If Paul really believed in UR there is no reason for him to use “anathema” from Christ. Mark 14:?

The Greek word for “accursed” is “Anathema” from the same root verb anatithemai or anatithemi (394), to separate as anethema, a consecrated gift. A gift given by vow or in fulfillment of a promise, and devoted to destruction for God’s sake (Num 21:1-3; Duet 13:16-18) therefore, given up to the curse and destruction, accursed. (Gal 1:8-9; 1 Cor 12:3; 16:22). Spiros Zodhiates TH.D.

Devoted to destruction for God’s sake?

“If you lose your life [if your soul is destroyed] for my sake, you shall find it”
-Jesus

It seems to me that Paul’s use of *anathama *in this verse actually affirms him believing in UR. He’s saying that if it would do any good, if it would reconcile his brothers now, he’d suffer being cut off from Christ now. And he can say this because he trusts in God to ultimately reconcile everyone, to ultimately save him. Faith in Jesus to save all fills one with tremendous faith in Jesus to save one’s self no matter what. Faith to save is a much more powerful motivator than fear of not being saved. Faith and love go together just like fear and hate. Religions based on fear also promote hate.

But primarily this verse seems to me to be hyperbole, overstatement to make a point. Paul loves his kinsman tremendously and would gladly suffer anything if it would bring them into the glorious freedom of Christ. It’s not meant to be understood technically, but passionately.

This thread, having been started by Aaron Curry (aka “Revival” among other pseudonyms and nicknames on the board), is being locked down pursuant to review of Aaron’s banning from the board. Other threads started by Aaron (and possibly some threads with his majority participation) will also be locked down at the convenience of the ad/mods, in order to protect Aaron from receiving critiques while he is unable to defend himself.

(For what it’s worth, he isn’t being banned for behavior in this particular thread.)