The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Why Faith?

What you seem to be describing, calvaryoakville, is BLIND faith — like a mother who believes her son can do no wrong and still believes it in spite of evidence to the contrary.

The everyday faith that people exercise is a valid faith. This kind of faith might be defined as “fond expectation”.

You sit down in a chair, expecting it to hold you up. It doesn’t HAVE to hold you up. I once saw a man sit in a chair which promptly collapsed beneath him. But through his past experience with chairs, it was rational to expect this one to support him.

A pilot flies a newly designed airplane which has been untested. Because of his knowledge of the designers and their other excellent work in the past, he is willing pilot this plane in its maiden flight.

We can’t live a day of our lives without faith. We enter our car, turn the key and expect it to start. That’s faith. However, it might not start. But we still have faith that it will.

The faith I have just been describing, unlike blind faith, is valid faith. We have evidence for this kind of faith. Often that evidence is past experience.

I understand what you mean Michael. I have pretty muched scrapped a certain definition of virtue, however. I no longer believe in virtues being commands given from God that he somehow gets personal pleasure out of when he sees them being performed. I no longer think God requires them of people to “test” them either. My imagination and hopes have grown.

A virtue is something that is good for the self, or the person practicing the virtue, because we are made in such a way that the good fulfills us. Love is good because it makes us happy. It brings us peace, gives us purpose, creates solidarity and friendship. Now, faith is good because it makes us happy. (I don’t really even like the word virtue, as it has too much of a legalistic tone with shadings of command theory, authority, and shameful feelings/guilt.)

What do I mean? First, I do not think there is any moral praise in believing a set of propositions about God, Jesus, the Church, etc. I think things are true or false, don’t get me wrong, and that it’s better to get things right than wrong, but in terms of moral worth, I see nothing “good” about simply believing a set of propositions. What is good about faith for the person, however, is the intellectual courage that it fosters when exercised the right way – not about believing dogmatic propositions, but about hoping for the best possible thing you can imagine. To see everything – all failure, loss, and damage – in terms of goods. To take the positive out of every situation, and not give in to the negativity that comes from regret. *That takes all the moral courage in the world. *

George MacDonald said somewhere in one of my favorite quotes: “that we don’t know is the best reason for hoping to the full extent possible to us.” In a way, the virtue bypasses the theist-atheist barrier. An atheist can have faith, if he is, so to speak, an eternal optimist. If you’ve ever seen the movie The Grey with Liam Neeson, that seen at the end is the best example of pure faith I’ve seen in a while.