The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Young earth creationism & 40000 year old frozen wolf

It seems that only when their livelihoods are directly threatened will conservative voters become environmental activists. However, on another Christian forum an Australian and a New Zealander replied to me that the drought and bushfires are God’s wrath at Australia’s policies towards gays (much like Rugby Australia star Israel Folau).

You can be confident that by the time of the next election, the billionaire owned media will have carefully seeded and grown this and other scapegoat narratives, finding suitable groups to target, vilify and blame for the drought and bushfires so that the voting base remains as loyal as ever. Perhaps they’ll blame it all on Leonardo DiCaprio. :money_mouth_face:

Even if you discount climate change, there are a host of existential threats that humanity faces such as the “drift of billions of tonnes of soil from lands that feed us into the blind depths of the ocean”. I wrote an article entitled What does a cruciform faith look like in a world nearing crisis?

Yep… some things never change; or I guess to biblically torpedo my whole observational stance… “there is nothing new under the sun:wink:

Not so sure it isn’t increased sun activity or perhaps a supercharged media hyping one more thing.

1 Like

Yeah not sure either… are there many current scientific observational notifications / evidence indicating this?

Media down my way certainly covers a lot, but then again there is a lot to cover… and it doesn’t need any hype, i.e., it is actually experienced.

1 Like

Solar irradiance hasn’t been increasing the last 15 years as global temperatures have been.

However,

Some studies indicate that sunspot activity overall has doubled in the last century. The apparent result down here on Earth is that the sun glows brighter by about 0.1 percent now than it did 100 years ago. (Scientific American)

and ….

Since the late 1970s, the amount of solar radiation the sun emits, during times of quiet sunspot activity, has increased by nearly . 05 percent per decade, according to a NASA funded study. (NASA)

@Invernessian if you’re going to quote a website, you should provide a link. In this case, that would allow us to see that you’re quoting something from 2003. :wink:

You are correct. The NASA quote is from 2003. The Scientific American one is from 2009.

I’ll try and uncover if either is still valid in 2019.

Well, I tried but the terminology used in the scientific papers is beyond my limited ability to comprehend what I read.

All I can be sure of is that the sun plays a pretty big role in climate and weather and just about everything else on earth. Not warm enough, I suppose, to prevent that wolf from freezing.

Well, at the very least Perisher Ski Resort in Australia–the largest ski resort in the southern hemisphere–seems pretty happy this year: they’re enjoying their “longest season in memory.” (And thankfully snow requires water and cold air.)

PS The alarming headline for The Australian for September 5, 2012 was: “Enjoy snow now . . . by 2020, it’ll be gone”. The article is now behind a paywall, but a Google search shows that it begins:

Sep 5, 2012 - ENVIRONMENTAL researchers say the end of Australia’s ski culture is in sight, despite Victoria and NSW experiencing one of their best snow seasons in almost a decade. People were still shredding up powder last weekend at some of Australia’s top ski resorts, but Griffith associate …

1 Like

Yes it’s all a bit weird… the first day of summer and snow fell in the highlands; and yet for the bulk of the continent we had an unusually dry winter (dry winters are normal where I live in the sub tropics) on top of a previously typically dry summer, and our current bushfire season started early right at the beginning of Spring… that’s not happened like this before but everything is so tinder dry and we’re barely into summer.

And here’s a little example as to how fast some of these fires can explode across the treeline…

Well stated!

The global warming cycle and global cooling cycle had been going on for many centuries, and no catastrophes have resulted.

And the news continues, in the BBC science section. :crazy_face:

And the BBC keeps cracking out, them science and US political news stories…while singing this song, regarding the new stories. :crazy_face:

Recent global temperatures are higher than they were for any period in the last 2000 years. And during past warming periods the warming was more regional. Burning fossil fuels has already affected drought patterns, and droughts will likely increase in frequency and duration if the warming trend continues.

Even forgetting climate change, half of the topsoil on the planet has been lost in the last 150 years. At the rate topsoil is being lost, soon there will be none left to grow crops so everyone will starve to death.

And the good news?

• Invernessian to mcarans

The BBC news science section keeps you abreast - of the “good” news. :crazy_face:

From a universalism perspective, all humans who live and die up till then will experience salvation. After that, there’ll be no more humans to add to the saved. However, I don’t think God’s plans end with humanity - in His grand scheme, we are insignificant (although we love to think otherwise in our pride and pomposity). Even though we are insignificant, He still loves us immeasurably.

1 Like

Hugely skeptical of this claim. Surely context will show that this isn’t something to be concerned with.

Without even looking at the facts yet, it seems the statement is spreading unfounded FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt).

150 years ago the population and amount of crops grown were 1/20th of what they are now. Nothing dissapears on Earth. It moves, that is all. It isn’t like topsoil can simply vanish.

The world is remarkably stable and recycles everything.

2 Likes

It hasn’t vanished. Here’s something from the BBC to explain it :
http://www.bbc.com/future/bespoke/follow-the-food/why-soil-is-disappearing-from-farms/

1 Like