The Evangelical Universalist Forum

A Novelette On Judgment

All of this Rob Bell brouhaha is inspiring me to work on an idea that’s been rattling around in my head for awhile - giving a picture of the final judgment in prose.

One of the figures that initially popped into my mind awhile back was funnily enough Gandhi. I wanted to depict him getting a very light judgment since all that was holding him back from Christ were those who claimed His name. More like a, “That’s not what I’m about. Don’t you want to meet me?” And then those Christians, or other ones perhaps, who have done malicious things in the name of Christ, suffering greatly.

Then I could toy with the idea of Einstein coming face to face with the wonder of God, and of course what I mentioned before about C.S. Lewis being judged on his refusal to believe in universal reconciliation by his own owls (teehee!) :laughing:

And of course the Pharisees being judged by Moses, and Jesus’ contemporary Jewish audience being judged by Sodom and Gomorrah and Queen Sheba.

Of course, I don’t have absolute knowledge on all these folks, or what God’s response to them would necessarily be, but I was hoping to give an approximate picture based on popular knowledge of them. Kind of a folk story with a profound twist.

This would help get a better picture of what universalism is all about out there, and perhaps push back the knee-jerk reactions that universalism denies justice, which is totally incorrect. In the end, in the darkest of hells and most torturous existences, there will be a light dawning on them giving them a way out.

For instance, I’ll probably have Hitler experiencing the darkness and torture of the subconscious pain and torment that he repressed from toxic experiences he had here on earth (according to Gary Amirault, who says that even priests abused him - I need to look into that). That’s an idea I had way before I knew about the abuses he suffered - intuition? Well actually I came to realize that anyone who torments is likely tormented inside as well.

This will be big on the whole “take the plank outta your own eye” teaching.

Thoughts?

Very interesting, it would be hard to get the quantity of judgement right for each person, but you could certainly show readers the gist of what we are proposing :slight_smile:

Yeah. :slight_smile:

I suppose it might be a bit more inclusivistic with a universalistic aspect, actually. But ultimately both of those turn out to be the same thing anyway. :wink:

By bringing up each figure’s actions and motives and thoughts, etc, I would be providing my own (if slightly fictitious) context for each of them. Thus I would be presenting their judgment in as clear a light as possible.

Of course, I also have to offer this back up to God and allow Him to sanctify it. Presenting Him in a false light is definitely something to be wary of.

I like the idea.

Sonia