The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Abrahams ancestors

We often think only of Abrahams descendants. What of his ancestors?
Here is a tiny passage in which God tells Abraham his fate and we gain insight as to how God was treating Abrahams ancestors who did not know God.

Gen. 15:15
And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.

How does this square with traditional theology of afterlife and judgement?

Interesting. You are quoting from the KJV. Modern translations make no mention of “go to your fathers in peace”. It’s frustrating for me not to have a Hebrew (or Aramaic, or whatever the original language that was used) Bible to try and understand what the author means. Was the phrase simply an idiom for dying? I have a Greek NT and often look up the direct translation of the original words and phrases in my personal study of the text, comparing scripture with scripture where the same words or phrases are used. Now I’m too old to start again with OT languages.

Hence, I have no meaningful comment to offer regarding your question. Sorry. :anguished:

Its worded almost identical in every version including the NIV.
The word for father appears in the Hebrew.

Seriously, it would have taken less time to verify your claim than it did to write it. :wink:

I don’t think I was claiming anything. What I wrote was factual. There was no need for your rebuke.:confused:

Perhaps you would expand a bit on the question you put: “How does this square with traditional theology of afterlife and judgement?” I am probably wrong, but I assume that you do not think Gen 15:15 supports traditional theology.

im sorry to make you do this :frowning:
please forgive me.

Already forgiven and forgotten, but thanks.

If you take all instances literal, Sheol was considered a land beneath the earth where the dead slept and could have disturbed in their sleep. I have little time now and provide the verses later, the Wikipedia article is quite usefull as well: