The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Adding to my Higher Power

I’ve recently come to see that my Higher Power includes much more than just God. God is the main part of my Higher Power but my Higher Power isn’t limited to that. My psychiatrist, case manager, peer support group, drug and alcohol support group, AA group, Centering prayer group at church, etc., etc. are all part of my Higher Power. But God is God and there is no other.

I came into awareness of this after reading this:

The Twelve Steps And Dual Disorders: A Framework Of Recovery For Those Of Us With Addiction & An Emotional Or Psychiatric Illness

https://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Steps-Dual-Disorders-Psychiatric/dp/1568380186/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dual+diagnoses+12+steps&qid=1582660781&sr=8-2

I’m doing a lot better. After turning my will and life over to my Higher Power I find the strength and power to recover. I stop trying to control the shame spiral and paradoxically gain control. In surrendering and placing my trust in my Higher Power I gain the confidence I need. I turn my focus outward on my Higher Power and find my inner Truest Self and the support I need.