The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Aionios Time or Quality?

Once we understand that aion and all the compounds of that word denote time, how clear everything becomes!

And how ridiculous the ignorant prattlings of men!

In an effort to harmonize the Scriptures with the false doctrines of the apostate Church, the translators rendered “the ages of the ages” as “for ever and ever.”

This one little mistake once and for all exposes their folly. Even in English we can see that “for ever” cannot be endless if “and ever” may be added to it. Eternity cannot be added to!

Only time may be compounded. Eternity is absolute timelessness.

Eternity is without either beginning or end. There cannot be more than one eternity.

You cannot add a second eternity on to a first eternity.

Forever in English means “for eternity; always; perpetually; endlessly.”

Now if “for ever” is “eternity” how can you add “and ever,” attaching another eternity to an already existing eternity? That isn’t even correct English grammar!

Ah - but ages are time and time, beloved, can be added to!

When the Greek speaks of “the ages of the ages” it is speaking of aggregated periods of time - not eternity!

And you cannot get eternity by compounding all the time periods of the past and the future, for time began and time ends. The ages and all the time and times combined do not equal eternity.

There simply is no such thing as “the endless ages of eternity” as the preachers love to say, for the phrase is a complete contradiction of itself. No one who is sane and reasonable can maintain otherwise. To do so is to contradict all known facts and to contradict God’s own Word. -J. Preston Eby-

1 Like

“Forever and ever” is a figure of speech, indicating that you really mean “forever” and nothing less than “forever”.

Perhaps now it is. Do you have any proof it meant this back in 1600s English, or in the Greek usage of the phrase?

I was speaking of the meaning of the English phrase “forever and ever”, Gabe, which I think had the same meaning in the 1600s. However, I have no proof of that, nor do I have any personal need to prove it.

The Greek phrase is so translated in the King James Version as well as many others. Also many render the phrase as “from everlasting to everlasting”, which seems to mean the same thing if it means anything at all.

The Greek phrase is “εις τους αιωνιος των αιωνων” which literally means “into the ages of the ages.”
My guess is that this phrase refers to a very, very long time, but not necessarily “forever”. But that is only a guess. I have no “proof” of it.