The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Apocalypse of Peter

I know Apocalypse of Peter was an important book, but there are two version. The greek and the Ethiopic (who is universalist). I want to know If These two are from the same Apocalypse of Peter, If they have the same fragments and coincide in these fragments.

Hi Sopho,

I am generally suspicious of the translations made into Latin. Many manuscripts were copied into Latin, and in the process the story was embellished considerably. Particularly from the 4th century this became a common practice. As Rome was growing in power a lot of books were translated into Latin for the first time, including the bible (vulgate). Many authors, such as Apollinaris of Laodicea, used the translations of texts in order to progress their own heresies. Many of the ECF and documents became altered in this battle for ideology, including: Ignatius, Tertullian, Hippolytus, Origen, Gregory Thaumaturgus, Jerome, and, of course, the Apocalypse of Peter.

edit: *I may have the Apocalypse of Peter and the Apocalypse of Paul mixed up. My apologies if I have muddied the waters. *

Peace
S.

Yes, they’re the same ApocPeter, which was also used as a basis for a set of texts called the Pseudo-Clementines aka the Clementine Recognitions (or maybe vice versa, the provenance is hard to trace). Some orthodox Christian teaching authorities in the days of Origen and Clement of Alexandria had a high regard for it and even regarded it as inspired scripture (themselves included). The Ethiopian version is more specifically universalistic than other surviving texts, and Dr. Ramelli argues from its popularity among known patristic universalists that this version attests to original material they knew of in their own texts of ApocPete.

I’ll be summarizing her notes on this soon, over in the main thread for her book: Professor Ilaria Ramelli & her Apokatastasis project