The Evangelical Universalist Forum

bill wiese has another book.....

so is there something like that in his book :question:

Hi Dick,

I do understand your distinction between condemnation and discernment. Speaking only for myself, I’d say there two rather dangerous things at play here. One is people getting the idea that God heals through certain people (and, by implication, not through other people) in kind of a ritualistic, hocus-pocus manner. And the other is that a person’s healing, or lack of it, is somehow dependent on that person’s faith, or lack of it. The former seems liable to cynical, self-aggrandized spectacle; while the latter is just inherently cruel. Caught in the tragic and heart-breaking middle of it all are suffering people who are in such desperate need. (I don’t think anyone here would disagree with that last bit.)

What I got from Sherman is that the larger problem at play is not so much one of discernment but whether or when or how to react in Judgment (with a capital J). Me? I’d like to take a chop or two at that pastor’s ear who so needlessly and carelessly and cruelly(!) added suffering to a dying man and his loved ones. And I might feel better, for a moment or two. I might even be Justified (with a capital J, once again!). But I think what Sherman was getting at was that, whatever I do, the fact remains that God is not mocked. The truth remains the truth. Love will deal with what love needs to deal with. What is hidden won’t stay that way. And I believe he is right about that… even if I might not always react to things the way Sherman would hope to.

So, it’s all a bit complicated, isn’t it? Sherman’s way won’t always be Andy’s way or sass’s way or Dick’s or Johnny’s or etc., etc. It’s inevitably going to seem, at least sometimes, that we’re like the blind men groping at the same elephant and seeing entirely different animals.

Anyway, I’m just glad that people here have a fine habit of treating one another graciously and holding to the very biblical idea of iron sharpening iron and trying, as best as they are able, to see the good in what people are sharing from their hearts, even when they disagree. And even when they might disagree strongly. When you consider that people come here from all over the world and from every sort of background, it’s pretty amazing how it works a lot more often than it doesn’t.

All the best to you,

Andy

The following articles have some things to say about Bill Wiese and his 23 Minutes in Hell which might be enlightening:

bible-truths.com/23-minutes-in-hell.html#CritiqueBegins

bible-truths.com/23-minutes-in-hell.html#Contradictions

Ah yes. It was good to go back and read some Ray Smith. It was his articles that got me started on the path to UR in the first place!

I just found out yesterday that Ray died…Sad. He was actually how I found UR.

Yeah, apparently he died in May. :frowning:

Oh wow :neutral_face: I’d heard he was sick… well, he’s okay now though. :slight_smile: