The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Can I pray for God's will to be done?

Jesus says to pray “Thy will be done…” I was reading about Peter Hiett and his journey into UR. He wrote this in some notes:

"John 14:13…Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in
the Son.
I’ve always been told that this is asking according to God’s will. God “desires all people to be
saved,” “not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.” The text
says, “that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” How is the Father glorified in Jesus? How is
a Savior glorified? How is a savior not glorified?
Pray this prayer: “Father in Jesus name, would you save all people.”
Did you? Why wouldn’t you? Are you afraid that he might answer? Are you afraid that some
don’t deserve to be saved? Who are those that deserve to be saved? “Yeah…” you say, “but
what about guys like Hitler and Judas… the very worst sinners?” According to sacred Scripture
they are not the “chief of sinners,” the worst of sinners. Go read 1 Timothy 1:15. Would you
condemn St. Paul to unceasing torment in and everlasting “Hell”? Are you worried that people
you hate might get in? That God just might forgive them? Read the story of Jonah, then, spend
an hour staring at “the sign of Jonah.”
“Father in Jesus name, would you save all people.” It seems to be a good prayer to pray.
And I’m having trouble coming up with a water tight reason as to why God won’t answer it."

Isn’t that great! If it’s God’s will that “none should perish” and we are supposed to pray “according to His will” and “His will be done”, can we hopefully pray this prayer without being heretics? :smiley:

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Yep, that’s right on! I think I like this Peter Hiett.

I wrote something sort of similar recently to my pastor: “I believe God’s will will be done, who desires all men to come to repentance and knowledge of Him!”

Sonia

Amen! :slight_smile: