The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Channeling versus Gone With the Wind

Hi, as being an ex atheist I had much problems to accept this word channeling. As many of the prophets in the Old Testament received information from the God of the Bible, there was a contra-principle at work, name channeling. I recommend the people here to read the book by Joscelyn Godwin, Atlantis and the Cycles of Time. Then we read that throughout time many people were guided by invisible forces.

Then there is this book by Karla Turner and Ted Rice: Masquerade of Angels. Both authors state that the classical book Gone with the Wind by Margareth Mitchell was very likely channeled. (See pdf). A relevant question is: what else is channeled in our life? Or better: what is NOT channeled? John Keel wrote in his book Operation Trojan Horse that even Malcom X had encountered a Man In Black during his time in Jail. So the Nation of Islam was channeled too? As the Book of Mormon was?

Bombarie, don’t look to fascinating occult literature to try to glean spiritual truth. After all, “Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.” 2 Cor. 11:14.

There are only two competing sources of spiritual inspiration: there is a spirit of truth, and a spirit of error (1 John 4:6). John also says in that chapter that we are not to believe every spirit, “but test the spirits to see whether they are from God…[and], every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is from God.”

You can’t have it both ways, you have to choose; because “channeling” and “being led by the Spirit” are mutually exclusive:

1)

“channeling”

noun
esp. in some New Age beliefs, the process by which a person becomes a conduit for a deceased person, as someone from an ancient culture, who imparts information about a previous life

2)

Romans 8:14
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

Training in identifying counterfeit currency begins with studying genuine money. I suggest more prayerful time in the Scriptures. Also, look for some good evangelical teachers.

Hebrews 13:9
Do not be carried away by varied and strange teachings; for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace.

Regarding a good grace teacher, try Joseph Prince.

Blessings!

PS I include the writings of the late Karla Turner, Ph.D. as “fascinating occult literature” which is not inspired by God.

1 Like

I have to agree with Hermano. There is a BIG different between new age wannabes - “channeling”. And Old Testament prophets, hearing or seeing God speak. See:

However, they do get the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox concept of saints - wrong. RC and EO folks, aren’t praying to them. They are asking for intercessory prayer - on their behalf.

Here is the non-denominational, Got Questions answer:

Here is a Roman Catholic and Wiki rebuttal

Praying to the Saints

And in today’s Patheos Catholic newsletter…an article talks about the importance, of arguing the other side.