The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Co Creators

My brother told me last night that he believed that we were co-creators and that God allowed us to create the life that we lived. He said that if we were led by the Spirit our lives would be ok.

This sounds good. Is it biblical?

I must have missed the memo 'cause I sure don’t remember co-creating the heavens and the earth.

Surely being made in God’s image we have the ability to be creative. We have created civilizations, arts, science, medicine, religion, philosophies, literature, politics, architecteral structures, inventions, and anything else our imagination can take us. So in that sense we can say we are co-creators. But to say that we were somehow present when He formed the worlds into existence, I just do see that. The only one who had any role in creating the universe was Jesus:

*“Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.” - Col. 1:15-17

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.” - John 1:1-3 *

Beyond this, I am not familiar with any verses indicating that we are co-creators with God.

Anyone else might have some insight on this?

The thought that we helped create anything other than our existance AFTER we were born never entered my mind. I meant it the context that God allowed us to be responsible for creating our living experience. Not sure I even believe this.

lol :question: its funny how easily we can be misunderstood and we expect to understand something someone wrote 2000 years ago.

If he had in mind “Ye are gods” and on a societal level - then, yes, sort of…

We created this mess.

I agree. But I believe that the correct translation of those verses is that all things were created through him, not by him. (referring to Christ) A subtle but perhaps important distinction.