The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Conference Elective "Responding to the New [E] Universalism"

A few days ago I attended a 5h conference put on by the network that my Christian Reformed Church is apart of. I went along with about two dozen others to an elective titled Responding to the New Universalism. The 70 minute elective was run by a local Presbyterian Minister (I’ll call him Fred as I don’t know if he’d like me to use his name) and turned out to be largely a critique of Evangelical Universalism, as defined by Robin Parry (aka Gregory MacDonald) in his book The Evangelical Universalist.

In this OP I’ll just try to fairly present most of the discussion (unfortunately it wasn’t videoed so you’ll just have to take my word that the tone was fairly gentle/gracious, although still serious - hopefully both come across in my summary). In further posts I will attempt to respond to his concerns. Feel free to also comment and explain how you’d respond.

In Fred’s favour, he had dialogued with Evangelical Universalists (including myself), had read the book and quoted from it a number of times in order to try to portray it fairly. Furthermore he helpfully explained that there are many forms of universalism, some so obviously abhorrent that there’s no need to respond to them.

His first and longest quote was

, Parry"]Anastasia is an evangelical Christian. She believes in the inspiration and authority of the Bible. She believes in all those crucial Christian doctrines such as Trinity, creation, sin, atonement, the return of Christ, salvation through Christ alone, by grace alone, through faith alone. In fact, on most things you’d be hard pressed to tell her apart from any other evangelical. Contrary to what we may suspect, she even believes in the eschatological wrath of God—in hell. She differs most obviously in two unusual beliefs. First, she believes that one’s eternal destiny is not fixed at death and, consequently, that those in hell can repent and throw themselves upon the mercy of God in Christ and thus be saved. Second, she also believes that in the end everyone will do this.Fred then quoted from chapter 6, paragraph 6 of the Westminster Confession of Faith,

He asks us to compare this to

, Parry"]I argue that it is legitimate to understand the biblical teaching about hell as compatible with an awful but temporary fate from which all can, and ultimately will, be saved.
I appreciated that, at this point, Fred said it’s great that Robin is trying to be biblical and attempting to construct a biblical theological picture of the judgement of God - trying to deal with the Bible in the way most Evangelicals do.

Fred said it’s pretty clear confessionally we have a problem because of WCF’s use of “eternal” - that’s not to say Anastasia isn’t a Christian, but it is to say we must proceed with caution.

Fred doesn’t think Anastasia is disingenuous but kind of naive, in that she hasn’t thought through all the implications of what she believes and that there’s actual serious damage done to her doctrinal framework - distorting things he thinks really matter.

As an aside Fred suggested “Evangelical” in the title of the book fits with the broader US/UK definition of “Evangelical” but not the Australian definition, which is a lot narrower, due largely to the Sydney Anglicans.

Fred then began the core of his presentation, “Seven modifications [by EU] to Reformation doctrines, and why those matter”.

1. God is more glorified the more people are saved, and God is less than fully glorious if a person remains under His judgement. God would save everyone if He could, and He can, so He does.

, Parry"]In light of the biblical emphasis on the supreme value of love, it seems plausible to think that a being that loves all is greater than a being who loves some but not others.
Fred thinks we need a more nuanced picture of love and recommends Don Carson’s book The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God. Secondly we need God, God doesn’t need us - the aseity of God - He’s not made more glorious by our being in existence and He’s unmodified by anything we do. Thirdly Paul doesn’t have a problem with some being made for destruction.

2. When people are in hell they will eventually turn to God, with His help, because God knows what it would take to turn each person to Christ, so He can set the conditions in hell to see that everyone does turn to Him freely. i.e. Hellfire opens the eyes.

Fred thinks Parry implies the core of humanity’s problems is a lack of education, rather than the need for regeneration.

, Parry"]The only way for God to keep the damned continually choosing to resist him forever is by shielding them from the real consequences of their actions, thus denying them the possibility of making a fully informed decision.

, Parry"]I understand hell to be a post-mortem situation in which God brings home to us the terrible consequences of sin, and this makes sense for someone who has lived a sinful life and needs such an education.He said he thinks Parry misses the Reformation discussion of the bondage of the will.

It changes God’s involvement in our lives and perseverance of the saints. Personal autonomy takes away from God’s sovereignty and makes God the educator not regenerator.

3. God’s judgement is always educative or restorative for the person being punished, it’s never purely retributive, for such could not be an act of love. i.e. Love abhors pure retribution.

, Parry"]If we think of hell as the state in which God allows the painful reality of sin to hit home, then we can understand both the terrible imagery used in Scripture to portray such a fate and the urgent warning to avoid the wide road that leads in that direction. … [In hell] the natural consequences of sin take their course, and it becomes harder and harder to fool oneself into believing the seductive lies of sin anymore. In this way hell is educative and points us towards our need for divine mercy.
Fred says this goes against Penal Substitutionary Atonement (“the Son taking the wrath of the Father that we deserved” “the penalty due on our sin”) because how is that not pure retribution i.e. Christ has no need for education or restoration. The Cross wouldn’t make sense anymore and that’s a big deal, this view does profound damage.

4. The traditional doctrine of hell is not only unloving but it’s also unjust, for temporal sin cannot be deserving of eternal punishment.

, Parry"]What possible crime is a finite human capable of committing that would be justly punished in this way?
Fred pretty much just restates Anslem’s approach (God’s infinitely big so any offense against Him is infinitely big), although mentions Parry tries to rebut this.

Fred makes an interesting statement, “We are so close to our friends and family, is it possible that the reason that we can’t see it as just, initially, is because we’re too close?” He goes on to explain that one way to respond to this is to ask ourselves if we deserve ECT - and he thinks that sometimes we can see that we definitely do. i.e. the reason we don’t see that others deserve ECT is that we don’t know the depths of their sin as much as we know the depths of our own. We can’t answer the question for our loved ones as we’re so invested in them. We don’t want to be harsh and condemn them to hell.

He thinks Robin’s argument is using an animistic view of sins plural, rather than an entire disposition of sin, as rebellion against God - everyone has become worthless.

5. God’s covenant with His chosen people may be extrapolated to the rest of humanity on the basis of God’s explicit commitment to the entire world in creation.

I didn’t understand his issue with this, as he just made a statement about wanting to continue to use the word universal without being seen as implying universalism.

6. The judgement of Christ’s Judgement Day is not finally decisive for one’s eternal destiny. This life doesn’t afford everyone the necessary conditions for faith in Christ to arise.

, Parry"]What possible reason would God have for drawing a line at death and saying, “Beyond this point I will show no mercy to those who repent and turn to Christ”?
Fred does not see that in the New Testament - by very definition Judgement Day is nothing if not decisive.

7. On a traditional doctrine of hell after Christ’s return the Universe will be divided permanently into a symmetrical dualism of Heaven and Hell - so has God really won a victory, how is that united under Christ.

Fred doesn’t think that’s how the Bible presents it, the way the Bible talks about the future is that you have one New Creation, the real real is Heaven come to Earth. He says he’s not saying Hell doesn’t exist, but it’s just not a parallel to Heaven, not a mirror image.

So Fred asks, can someone be a Christian and one of these new universalists? Audience thought that yes, you could be but:
]it raises a whole lot of issues, it would make it harder to be a Christian because it affects every part of Christianity, because hell is essential to Christianity, it’s a central as heaven, you need it for Christianity to work./]

]you won’t have a good understanding of God, you miss the glory of God, you don’t have a good understanding of sin, the true nature of sin, sin becomes merely breaking of the law as opposed to a disposition & therefore you’ll attempt evangelism as a re-education process - which is the way the world tries to fix things & it doesn’t work./]

]it would probably result in you falling away - it will cause people to say Christianity too hard so don’t bother and just wait for God to sort everything out./]

]it totally changes how you read your Bible - how confronting would it be every time you read all the passages on eternal judgement/]

Fred addresses further concerns:

a) Parry leans towards us freely choosing rather than God electing - God’s much more hands off than in Calvinism. But he’s not quite an Arminian, as he thinks it’s a dynamic election along the way.

b) Parry wants to see the whole Bible hold together in unity, and that’s a good thing. However, Parry makes an interesting move, “If I can come to a text and find a possible non-universalist understanding of it or a universalist understanding of it; I’ll go with the universalist understanding of it (because of lavish love of God draws us in that direction)”. Fred thinks that’s unwise because firstly universalism doesn’t deserve that kind of interpretive power - only things like the Trinity deserve that. Secondly the context usually makes things so obvious that it almost never requires a coin toss. If that’s the framework Parry’s using, of course he’d find universalism all along the way, for example throughout Isaiah.

c) Parry’s answer to “Why isn’t there universalism in the OT?” is that the OT didn’t have enough of a post death discussion but it anticipates universalism with it’s concern for all humanity.

Fred thinks the OT does show there’s good death & death under God’s judgement e.g. “then such & such king slept with his fathers” vs “he went down to Sheol”.

d) Parry says Jesus held back from teaching plainly on universalism for rhetorical effect e.g. if people thought they could get out of it later on, that’s not a particularly strong message.

Fred wants to push back on this with, “Does Jesus avoid rocking the theological boat in other areas to make me think He would hold back from preaching a difficult truth? No, Jesus is happy to be bold.”

e)

, Parry"]offering ways of reading the texts that go beyond what their authors had in mind.He doesn’t think Parry means conservative theological synthesis, but something more creative, building upon the trajectory of where Scripture is going and taking it further than what the authors were actually teaching. Fred’s uncomfortable with that.

f) Parry talks plenty about Calvinists but never quotes Calvin! He should’ve engaged directly with the giant. On the other hand the theologians Parry does line up are generally people Fred wouldn’t unreservedly latch onto, he’s uncomfortable with where their centre of theology is.

Fred’s conclusion:

What’s to be gained from this new universalism? It’s going to bring pastoral clarity to how we preach hell. Because they put the objections so well, if we cannot respond to them in our teaching and preaching about the devastating judgement of God then we’re not meeting our congregations & the concerns they’ve got. Don’t avoid the difficult topics. Teach on hell & teach on it well, and have EUs help us bring pastoral clarity on the objections that will, and in a sense should, come for our cultural setting.

Fred’s hunch is that EU isn’t the next big thing, although it will no doubt have traction for a little while to come. It will have some popular attraction because the objections are well put, but it doesn’t have the kind of clout to to be the next big thing.

Fred says we care about the Gospel and faith in the Gospel, we care if someone is evangelical in the narrower Australian sense. Do they believe the Gospel or not? EU is a belief which undermines the Gospel.

Fred says that if they were in his church he wouldn’t care if they were a universalist but would care if they were a Christian.

He says we care about maintaining gospel unity in the context of gospel ministry so how closely can we associate and work with someone who has this view? Can I let them run a small group in my church? Am I going to let them teach Sunday School? What ministries can they do? He says that’s not an easy discussion to have.

Fred says let’s not be put off our game, the love of God, His universal concern for the world, the justice of hell - these things we have to teach.

His advice for when people are rattled in our congregations by EU, is to sure up their faith in the Gospel, rather than having a “turf war over there”. When the rattled person comes to you, ask them how does passage relate to Jesus, his death and resurrection. What does that Bible passage actually say in context?

He finished with a prayer that God would save our loved ones, indeed many, many, many people.

[tag]AllanS[/tag] here is a more complete report of the elective I went to.

[tag]Luke[/tag] given you went too, please let me know if you think I’ve misrepresented Fred at all?

I actually agree with him that we should proceed carefully if something appears to be incompatible with our creeds/confessions. However, I can hold the above… I assume we’d all agree the Elect don’t receive “all miseries spiritual, temporal, and eternal” for their sin so if I can show that either: all are (or become) Elect, or that the non-Elect in the future receive the same grace shown the Elect; then there’s no incompatibility.

Having said that, I’ve never been not a fan of the WCF because I think it is far too prescriptive of things that I believe should be matters of conscience.

I agree love is nuanced, and that some things that appear unloving, are infact loving. I think it’s helpful to look at punishment as an example. In order for it to be loving, the object’s best interests need to be the motivation and result, at least the long-term. If either aren’t the case, it’s no longer doing to others as you’d have them do to you (Luke 6:31, Matt 7:12, etc.), and wouldn’t be compatible with the explicit definitions of love in 1Cor 13, John 15:13, & 1John 3:16. (Carson’s arguments are addressed in The Inescapable Love of God, especially in chapters 5-9. For an examination of the Calvinist understanding of God’s love, see chapter 8 “God Is Love”; for why Carson’s kind of understanding cannot be reconciled with Pauline theology, see the section entitled “That he may be merciful to all” in chapter 5 (p70-76); and for a discussion of the philosophical issues involved, see chapter 9 “Punishment, Forgiveness, and Divine Justice.” The problem we have with Carson’s perspective is not merely that it fails to account for God’s love adequately; it’s that it fails to account for the nature of God’s severity, holiness, and justice, as expressions of love.)

Is God glorious if He creates everyone and saves no one? Particularly when God promises to reconcile everything to Himself (e.g. Col 1:20), any failure to do surely is a problem. Furthermore, the Bible does use the phrases like “for God’s glory” in 1Cor 10:31, “for My glory” in Isa 43:7, (As Piper puts it, “The existence of Israel was planned and conceived and achieved because God wanted to get glory for his name through her.”). Rom 11:36 even links the two together, “For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.” It’s glorious not because of our efforts but because He’s fulfilling His plans - undoing all evil everywhere, becoming the utmost to everyone.

I don’t think Paul had a problem with some people being made for destruction, simply because a few chapters later in Rom 11:32 he explains “For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all.” i.e. disobedience & destruction isn’t the end of what happens them, which is why I think he launches into praise in the next verse, “Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!”

That’s a fair representation Alex.

(You missed at point 3 his point that “if Punishment is educative, does that imply Jesus needed re-education on the cross?”)

I’ve long suspected Evangelical Universalism changes way more of our theological grid than just how long hell is. I just hadn’t thought it through in the way Fred had. I really liked his closing question: How does this [Evangelical Universalism] relate to Jesus and the Gospel?

Cool, thanks for taking the time to check it.

“i.e. Christ has no need for education or restoration.” was meant to cover that but thanks for adding the clarification.

I don’t think it always does, I know some Calvinist Universalists who would be very similar to Fred & yourself. Having said that, Calvinism is only one of many branches within Christianity :slight_smile:

To be honest I didn’t really get the question, kind of like asking How does Calvinism relate to Jesus and the Gospel? :confused: i.e. both relate a lot to Jesus and the Gospel, both are systems trying to better understand/represent Jesus and the Gospel. [tag]Luke[/tag] what do you think he meant by the question?

I’ve never heard of the ‘Sydney Anglicans’ - but they do sound a bit scary. I imagine them adding a bit of local colour complete with dark glasses, upturned collars, a shifty gait, and violin cases :laughing:

Of course there are multiple branches of Christianity, but it doesn’t logically follow that each of them is correct. In other-words to quote Des Smith from the forum at the beginning of the conference; “the existence of secondary issues and disagreement is not evidence for relativism!” I think the changes to the grid are very substantial: for example changes to the doctrine of God (eternal hell somehow makes him less) doctrine of Hell (time on earth is insufficient for some) the Atonement (instead of paying for our sins, Jesus gets re-educated about how bad sin is) and the doctrine of sin (it’s not as bad as we think it is).

How does this [Evangelical Universalism] relate to Jesus and the Gospel? It’s the question I should have focused on with you at the beginning. :slight_smile: It focuses our attention on the most important thing (Jesus and the Gospel) and as Evangelicals we’re excited about that and want to share the Gospel with other people. It’s also good to think about what the gospel actually is and what the death of Jesus saves us from and how it saves us.

I’d love to hear you describe the gospel because I’m worried Evangelical Universalism changes it too radically.

:laughing: nah, they’re largely a good bunch, albeit sometimes too narrow theologically.

Sure - [tag]Luke[/tag] I was just trying to say that orthodox Christianity is much wider than Calvinism, and that the majority of orthodox Christians are non-Calvinists (not that that makes them necessarily right but that that is the more likely position for a Christian to move towards - does that make sense? If not please say so)

It depends on what God is trying to achieve. Calvinism certainly rightly has God displaying His power and authority, and His love to some degree. However, if we believe God’s aim was to achieve unity, as displayed within the Trinity, then obviously that’s problematic whilst ECT/P is in the picture…

I haven’t addressed this with Fred yet, but there’s at least two problems here:

1. I think he’s over emphasising God’s use of sovereignty, i.e. the mainstream position of Compatibilism says it’s simultaneously both God willing and us willing, therefore it takes varying amounts of time for this to occur.

2. Even if 1) is incorrect, we simply say that God’s entitled to saved some now & some later if He wants - that’s certainly an improvement on saving some now & some never (i.e. I’m saying however Calvinists justify only some now, a EU could say the same for why it’s only some now)

(This is a response to point 2 in the elective too) I don’t think simple education fixes sinners, I think we absolutely need regeneration, rebirth, resurrection, etc. (I’m fairly sure Robin wasn’t denying this either - I’ve emailed him to be sure :slight_smile: ) However, I think the Bible uses plenty of phrases that suggest that part of the Spirit’s work will be educational (“opening eyes/ears”; Rom 12:2 “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is”; Ps 86:11 “Teach me your way, O LORD”).

Furthermore I believe that when the Spirit educates you from within, you will truly know & affirm what He teaches, so the diference between the Spirit’s education/regeneration work becomes almost indistinguishable. i.e. it’s different language for the same thing.

Very tentatively there are even a few passages (e.g. Heb 2:10, 5:9, 7:28) that might suggest Jesus gained something from His suffering - although that opens a can of worms!

Personally I think it was an unhelpful distraction for Robin to address this in his book, because people automatically jump to the conclusion that the reason people won’t be in hell for ever is because they’re not bad enough. Anyway (this responds to point 4 in the elective too):

1. one can hold Anselm’s position and be an EU.

2. regardless of whether each sin is of infinite demerit or just large demerit, the problem seems to be that sinners would go on sinning eternally unless God helps them break free. i.e. either way the real question is, “Is God’s grace/forgiveness/love larger than the demerit and is He able to free us?”

Thanks for clarifying. I agree that Jesus and the Gospel is of primary importance & therefore we should focus on them. That was one of the reasons I recently borrowed John Dickson’s Promoting the Gospel from dad, so once I’ve read that, I might need to revise what I’m going to say here :smiley:

I’m guessing most orthodox descriptions of the Gospel I would agree with, however I’ll try to describe it off the top of my head for you (I’m not sure how helpful my answer was the other night after the 5 hours of conference!).

Most simply the Gospel is the good news from God. However, I believe it can be unpacked in a number of ways:

1. it’s good news about what God has done in the past:
    a) in predestining us
    b) in creating a good creation in relationship to Himself
    c) His perseverance with humanity throughout the OT
    d) His promises/covenants to them
    e) His gift of the Spirit so that we can slowly regenerate & learn to obey Him

2. it’s good news particularly about Christ because:
    a) through Him our relationship was restored
    b) through Him the curse of Adam was broken
    c) through Him death was defeated
    d) through Him we receive forgiveness
    e) through Him we see the loving Father

3. it’s good news about the future:
    a) we receive everlasting life in the intimate, sustaining presence of God
    b) judgement will occur, justice will happen - all things will be put right
    c) there will be the kind of peace currently only found within the Trinity
    d) there will be no more sadness, no more sin, no more rebellion
    e) God will finally receive the loving praise & honor He deserves

The more I dwell upon it the more things I can think of, but hopefully that’s enough for now to ease your concern.

I can’t find anywhere where Robin says that there’s no pure retribution? In fact on the same page as above

, Parry"]Divine judgments in the present age are usually [not always!] seen as reformative and educative (Heb 12:5-11; Tit 2:11-12; Rev 3:19; 1 Cor 11:29-32), though they are occasionally destructive (Acts 5:1-11).

1. some (many?) EUs do hold PSA.

2. PSA hasn’t been & still isn’t the only view of the Cross and the atonement - for example, obviously Eastern Orthodoxy doesn’t think “profound damage” has been done & they still can “make sense” of the cross - they’d probably think PSA has done “profound damage”.

3. I’m still trying to figure out what’s true/false regarding PSA, so I won’t comment further on this for now.

4. Very tentatively there are a few passages (eg. Heb 2:10, 5:9, 7:28) that might suggest Jesus gained something from His suffering - although that opens a can of worms!

5. Could we say, “Jesus’ punishment was unique for a number of reasons (e.g. undeserved, unresisted, non-educative, non-restorative), therefore we shouldn’t apply it to anyone else because everyone deserves it, resists it, and is educated/restored by it” or “Sure, it can be purely retributive for awhile but because God is loving no one ever stays in purely retributive punishment.”?

I think thinking about how we deserve God’s wrath is helpful in that it should keep us humble, bring us to repentance, compel us to seek God’s help, & praise Him for His grace. However I think it should make us see that we need fixing and they need fixing, that ECT wouldn’t solve anything.

I think the idea that “maybe we’re too close” doesn’t work at all, because God is far closer to everyone than we are, and also cares far more for them than we do.

Personally I’ve never understood, even before I was a Universalist, how anyone - me, my folks, the guy down the road or Charlie Manson - could possibly “deserve ECT”. The traditional Anselmian explanation - any sin against an infinite God deserves infinite punishment - is a logically fallacious joke, in my opinion. It’s the emperor’s new clothes of damnation theology.

And the minute you discount *that *explanation, you’ve got a nigh on impossible task on your hands in trying to explain just *why *exactly we human beings, born in original sin, or with a sin nature, or whatever you want to call it, and utterly powerless to save ourselves, as the Bible avers, ‘deserve ECT’. This is the simple argument of the atheist, and I for one have never heard a good reponse to it - which is, I guess, one reason why coming to accept the truth of EU was such an empowering and liberating experience for me. At last, I thought, I can stop trying to force myself to believe something my heart, mind and soul all tell me isn’t true. :smiley:

Shalom

Johnny

I think none of us deserve God’s love (do we deserve anyone’s love? e.g. I don’t deserve my wife’s love, although I’m very grateful for it) and therefore in one sense we should be surprised by His love and that we don’t end up annihilated or in ECT. However, I don’t think ECT is glorifying to God (it would contain sinners thwarting His will forever!), nor I do think ECT is compatible with the revelation that God is the loving Father, nor do I see how ECT achieves any uniquely good purpose (He can demonstrate His power, justice, etc. without it) or solves anything for anyone (it’s utterly hopeless & pointless).

The main purpose of the book wasn’t to criticise Calvinism, much less Calvin. When Robin deals with Calvinism, does he misrepresent them? He could’ve easily have quoted Calvin, but what difference would that have made? (Who we trust theologically is circular i.e. in the same way Fred would want to be careful endorsing the theologians Robin quotes, I’d be want to be careful endorsing Calvin!)

Part of the problem for people like Fred is that TEU doesn’t sound like it was written by a Calvinist - it’s not quoting Calvin or even using his vocabulary (e.g. TEU doesn’t explicitly mention “bondage of the will”, “regeneration”, “depravity”, “confessions/catechisms”). That doesn’t worry me, but given these people see Calvin as almost as important as St. Paul, I can understand why they’re upset. Also I think the assumption is that if you don’t mention the above explicitly, you must be denying them. This is unfortunate because whilst we don’t always go quite as far as Calvin, nevertheless we do affirm most of these things. For example, I think this is a discussion of the bondage of the will:

, Parry"]The universalist could easily believe that sin so corrupts humans that nobody would or could accept the gospel without divine assistance. Indeed, that is what I do believe. … It also has to be said that arguably some theologians overplay human hostility to God. Humanity was made for relationship with God and cannot be complete apart from such a relationship. The spiritual longing this creates is a hunger for the true God even if sin stops us from seeing this clearly. Within all people there is a latent awareness of and hunger for God.
In hindsight I probably should’ve given Fred The One Purpose of God by the Dutch Reformed pastor Jan Bonda, as he quotes Calvin, etc.

Wow, Alex, that’s really interesting! Thanks for taking the time to write all that out. I think it’d have been hard to sit through all of that and not want to give a defense. His thoughts and responses to Parry’s book seem very normal and not at all the final word on where he’ll be after he processes it a bit more. It is interesting to think about what he says as I can be so far removed I no longer can even remember having these questions, though I’m sure I did.

Here’s a few of my initial thoughts to some of the things he said.

1. We need a more nuanced view of the love of God? He recognizes that his view doesn’t square well with the one most of us know. I appreciate that he is affirming our view of the love of God is different. He is right on that we have a high view of the love of God and what glorifies Him, to reconcile all things. Paul doesn’t have a problem with destruction because he understands the purpose is to have mercy.

2. Regeneration takes a re-education of the will? Could some of the difference in understanding be semantics?

3. This guy is sharp! He realizes some of the ideas go against his PSA. It does do profound damage to his view of the cross. His view no longer makes sense of the cross, but he assumes it’s the only way to understand the cross? I’d say, based on what he says toward the end, that he’s overwhelmed with the amount of re-thinking of things he’d have to do to consider all these ideas. His opinion is these ideas are better left couched because they rock the boat too much, create problems for Christians that will think it’s too difficult to grasp all this stuff. It’s almost as if he thinks we can just shove this stuff to the back of our minds, pretend it never happened! :confused: (Edit: It’s great that he shows such openness to even addressing his thoughts of the book in this seminar and sees a need to respond, as you mention later, to the questions presented by the culture. He wants to stick to understanding the text. You can’t go wrong there. And, he wants to stick to the good news. Neither of these are in opposition to EU so it looks like you, Alex, are sitting pretty. :slight_smile: )

4. Can’t judgement be decisive in that it does exactly what it is designed to do, restore people? In order to be decisive, it has to be endless torment? Seems like he is just asserting, again, what he is comfortable with, the view he has always had.

5. We do believe in hell, just not his version of it. Again, if we don’t have his version, then nothing makes sense? I don’t see a whole lot of explanation for this, other than that it’s because it makes the most sense to him and is what he has always believed. He says we miss the glory of God. It’s hard not to feel the same about his view that misses God accomplishing reconciling all things.

I completely agree with him that this could totally change the way we read our bible - for the good, of course! :wink: It seems like this is what bothers him the most. It shakes up too much of what he has traditionally understood. Who can blame him? It really, really does. For me, it felt like the rug was being pulled out from underneath me.

Alex, most people, here, haven’t read The Evangelical Universalist. There are no seminars on this topic. Did you have something to do with this person reading the book and preparing this seminar? I wouldn’t be surprised if Tasmania and Australia become full of people with hope in EU because of your passion and devotion to asking the questions. :slight_smile:

Great work, Special Agent Smith. Your gracious, patient dialogue with the presbyterian church leaders is bearing fruit. If I can just pick up on the point above. I just read an interesting article by James Gould in the Anglican Theological Review (91.3) which argues that God’s saving grace is unearned but NOT undeserved. It is a well written article which engages intelligently with Calvinism and evangelical universalism. Here’s a quote:

I agree with you that Bonda may be an easier book for Calvinists to read, as he uses their jargon, even though they will find his conclusions uncomfortable.

I’m delighted to hear you found it really interesting. It was hard when people had objections that I felt I could’ve answered, and particularly painful when Fred some made incorrect statements about EUs (I assume they were misunderstandings so I will email him to attempt to set the record books straight - although the frustration is now two dozen other people have some wrong ideas about EU & obviously there no easy way to fix that). I certainly pray Fred continues to process it, however he’s very heavily invested in Calvinism, so it would probably require Carson to convert and write a book supporting EU :wink:

I certainly think that’s a large part of the issue here.

I’ve known him since primary school & he’s always been bright. I agree that it was good of him to read TEU & discuss it to some degree, although I’m not sure how I feel about being in his crosshairs… (It can “damage” PSA, although it doesn’t have too)

I’m still thinking this one through - I also know Robin’s written about it somewhere, I just haven’t found it yet!

He did offer some explanation on a whiteboard - but if anything, I think this point actually supports EU. i.e. the reason the Bible doesn’t paint heaven & hell as equals is because hell won’t always exist. No matter how nice a non-EU paints the New Creation, it won’t be in utopia if there’s a pit of “nuclear waste” in the backyard - with the continuous sound of screaming loved ones and the stench of burning flesh coming from it :confused:

I should hope that everyone on this forum has read at least TEU, if not that and Talbott’s The Inescapable Love of God :stuck_out_tongue: I used to have a lot to do with Fred, he was one of my best friends for about 20 years, sadly not so much since I became an EU :frowning: I certainly hope that EU takes off in Tasmania and Australia, as I think it would remove some obstacles to Christianity, be more God honoring (not saying you have to be an EU to be God honoring - it’s just I think EU is closer to the truth & therefore more honoring), and fill Christians with more joy.

:laughing: I hope it’s bearing some good fruit rather than turning the entire inter-church network against me.

Interesting… I agree that we absolutely need salvation but I don’t understand why that would imply that we deserve it? :confused: Do you have a URL for the article?

I’m thinking about lending it to one of the Reformed pastors but I’m a little nervous as I’ve only read a few pages of it so don’t know if there’s anything in it I’d disagree with.