The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Corrective post.. When names are written in the Book of Life

Everyone

I’m going to keep this corrective post simple without unnecessary rhetoric. I was wrong on a couple of statements on my original post concerning the book of life, but I chose to humble myself to make it right. Lets look at my corrections to my original post:

1. I no longer believe the names of the book of life were written from the foundation of the world by God’s omniscience. Here’s why: When you examine Rev 13:8 and 17:8 they are basically saying the same thing. ‘From the foundation of the world’, I believe is talking about the Lamb that was slain and not when the names of the book of life were written.
    I now believe the names are written in the book of life at the time the individual repents and accepts Jesus as Lord and Savior.

2. I no longer believe names cannot be added. Why? I no longer believe God writes them in before the foundation of the world and because the gospel of the grace of God will be available to accept through the millennial reign of Christ… up to the final judgment in Rev 20:11-15. Rev 6:9-11 is proof of tribulational Saints and Martyr’s getting saved.

3. I still believe names are blotted out of the book of life for those who turn their backs on God by not overcoming the world by 1) willingly living sinful lifesyles 2) Adding or taking away from God’s word.

Examined closely, Rosh Hashanah (Trumpets) to Yom Kippur (Atonement) and the days of Awe, constitute a prefiguration of the Church Age, its conclusion, and reveal the ultimate purpose of the Tribulation Period.

Think how these words apply to us personally. The importance of the thirty day Teshuvah in the month of Elul, is that those who repent during this time (prior to the return of our Messiah) will have their names written in the “Book of Life” and will not have to go through the further repentance during the more difficult “Days of Awe.” There are scriptures which describe how disaster can follow a lack of repentance: 2 Peter 3:9-11; Zeph 2:1-3.

For those who did not attain to being entered into the “Book of Life” on the first day of judgement, on Yom Teruah or Trumpets, a second period of time is given for repentance. This time period is much more severe. It is known as Yamin Nora’im, (Yah-meen Norah’eem) the ‘awesome days’ or the ‘days of trouble.’ This would be considered one’s last chance for repentance.

( I believe this is symbolic of everyone having an opportunity to repent and accept Jesus until the rapture of the church. Those who are written in the book of life will be taken up out of this world to be with the Lord. The second or last chance period is symbolic to the purpose of the tribulation period for repentance up to the final judgment in Rev 20:11-15.)

According to Jewish tradition, on Rosh HaShanah (Trumpets), God sits on His throne of judgment and three books are opened. They are the ‘Book of Life,’ the ‘Book of Death,’ and the ‘Book of the Intermediates.’ Those written in the ‘Book of Life’ are the totally righteous who have fully repented of their sins, and had their repentance accepted by God. Those written in the ‘Book of Death’ are the totally wicked who are fit only for destruction. The vast majority of people are written in the ‘Book of Intermediates.’ These people have until Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement) to repent and be written in the ‘Book of Life.’ If they do not repent, they will be written in the ‘Book of Death.’

It is said that, “man is judged on Trumpets and his doom is sealed on the Day of Atonement.”

Rev 20:12 (NKJV) And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.

As long as the ‘gates of heaven’ are open, access to God is available to those who wish to have their names moved from the ‘Book of Intermediates’ to the ‘Book of Life.’ One thing seems sure, after the complete and final fulfillment of Yom Kippur (Atonement) takes place, apparently after the one thousand year millennial reign of Christ, no one will have their name written in the ‘Book of the Intermediates;’ everyone will be in either the ‘Book of Life’ or the ‘Book of Death.’ As converted Christians, we know that it is only through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus that our names can be entered into the ‘Book of Life.’ But it is also imperative that each converted Christian has come to true repentance for their sins. The Days of Awe are symbolic of the final days during which repentance is possible.

On Trumpets the whole world stands in judgment before God and deserves to be found guilty. Only those whose sins have been forgiven through their previous acceptance of the sacrificial blood of Jesus Christ are worthy to be found not guilty. This acquittal is not rendered because of their own righteousness or works, but because the righteousness of Yeshua * has been applied to them through repentance.

In conclusion:

There are 3 groups of people established in scripture that pertain to the book of life:

1. people who have their names written in the book of life. Rev 21:27. (The book of life of the righteous)

2. people who don’t have their names written in the book of life. (The book of Intermediates… will eventually have their names written in the book of death if they don’t repent)

3. people who have their names blotted out of the book of life Rev 3:5;22:18-19. ( the book of death)
    It is also a time during which one can write his name into the book of death or not having their names written in the book of life by accepting the Mark of the Beast.( Rev 13:8 ; 17:8 ; 19: 20-21).

Notice there is not a fourth group of people ( ALL people written in the book of life). No scripture reference for all people in the book of life. Hmmm.
For UR to be true every human being that ever existed must be found written in the book of life. It does not happen. According to the pattern of the OT Rosh Hashanah (Tumpets) Yom Kippur (Atonement) and the days of Awe ( Which I believe symbollically represents the church rapture and the purpose of the tribulation period) you are judged which book you are written in… the books are sealed and opened at judgment day in Rev 20:11-15 and your destiny is revealed. I believe God has spoken. UR is impossible unless you ignore the pattern established in the OT feasts and take scripture out of context.

If your theology does not agree with the pattern established in God’s Word, then you need to change your theology- its as simple as that. If your beliefs don’t fit with the God’s Word, then get your beliefs staightened out. We seek to align our theology with God’s established Word, we do not seek to align God’s established Word with our theology.

Source: Hebrew roots magazine

God bless,
Aaron*

Now what? You’re a converted Jew? You’re off on some tangent to prove that Christ is not the Savior of all men by quoting traditions from another religion. ‘It is said that, “man is judged on Trumpets and his doom is sealed on the Day of Atonement.”’ That’s not said by any Christian I know.

The day of atonement was at the cross - and remains there and only there. God is not counting men’s sins against them because of THAT atonement and THAT redemption.

Just because a Jew (or a Muslim) mentions Christ - that doesn’t make them a Christian. Beware.

:laughing: Ran your something else. Did you read the whole post or just skim through it?

Judaism (OT) was a foreshadow of the better covenant Christianity ( NT).There are 7 Old testament feasts 1) Passover 2) unleavened bread 3) first fruits 4) pentecost 5) trumpets 6) Atonement 7)Tabernacles. Jesus has fulfilled 1-4 and the last 5-7 will be fulfilled at his Second Coming!

That’s nonsense. We are clearly told that He propitiated (atoned) God at the Cross. There is no other sacrifice to be made. The atonement is past - not future. He shed enough blood. There is nothing unfulfilled about it. It’s finished. New wine in new wine-skins.

Believe what you want - it seems to change daily anyway.

Judaism (OT) was a foreshadow of the better covenant Christianity ( NT). Don’t hate the roots of Christianity, Ran… my beliefs do not change daily… :smiley: :mrgreen:

How do you interpret the following:

Eph 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will…

Sonia

verse 5 is the explanation of verse 4. Verse 4 is revealing the redemption of man, so man can be brought back into fellowship with God. God had the plan established before the foundation of the world that we would be holy and without blame before him in love. God is no repector of persons. This ties in with 1Peter 1:18-20 ; Rev 13:8.

God bless,
Aaron

You have got right. But I wonder if you know what it means.

Remember, it is the same Paul who said that ‘all are in Christ.’

And the same Paul who described God’s will as being that none should perish.

And the same Paul who said He is ‘the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.’

Indeed, God is no respecter of persons.

Eph 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will…

If Paul can be holy and blameless before HIm, then anyone can and will with a little nudging and purification. The fact that everyone will be salted with fire is because He is no respecter of persons. If you think you are holy and blameless - then, at the very least, He will burn that arrogance away until you understand that He is not impressed. He loves you, but don’t let that puff you up.

God is no respector of persons in the context of these scriptures means that he does not choose individual people for redemption. :wink: lets keep the responses to the OP.

That’s correct. He choose humanity (those under Adam) to redeem. And did redeem them. Do you believe that? Or do you believe that He is soooo impressed with your faith that you oblige Him to redeem you? i.e., He owes you redemption. (A lot of silly people believe that, you know.) Hey, you’re not one of THEM, are you?

I believe this post. UR is impossible according to the truth that has been established in this post. :mrgreen: :smiley:

How so? I don’t understand what you just said. Paul commanded you to be an Ambassador of Reconciliation. But that takes credentials. How long are you going to dink around with this or that before you accept the responsibility? Take your time. It’s the step from milk to meat, as Paul said. Are you ready?

You could be a great voice for the Gospel. (That’s an appeal to your ego and a cheap shot - forget I said that.) You could come to the truth and be set free, truly free, from ‘religion.’ Which has you in its grips. You could die there and never know you’re dying.

He was saying that God owes us redemption because of the faith we present him that is of ourselves. Utterly repugnant. I don’t see how anyone could admit to such a belief and be happy with that.

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” That’s not some instruction for faking humility.

But that’s not what 17.8 says; rather it says that the names are written in the book of life from the foundation of the world. You know, the problem with using prophetic metaphorical language to establish doctrine is it leaves itself open to a wide variety of interpretation. Even scripture notes that we “prophecy in part”. In fact, Revelation is interpreted at least in 4 significantly different ways: 1) Preterist, 2) Historically, 3) Metaphorically, and 4) Futuristically. And those who interpret it Futuristically, interpret it in many different ways amoung theirselves. I believe it is much better to establish doctrine scripture which is more didactic in nature, and hold one’s interpretation of prophetic metaphorical material very lightly.

See what I mean, in a matter of just a few days, you’ve made major changes in your beliefs and interpretation of the metaphorical language of Revelation. In a few days, I suppose you could change again. One must also take into consideration that many people interpret Revelation as a series of different visions that are saying the same thing but from a different perspective, mixing and overlapping metaphors - making it all the more challenging to understand.

“I still believe”, ok, maybe you’ll change your understanding of it tomorrow.

Well, that’s one interpretation “IF” one interprets Revelation Futuristically, AND “IF” one interprets is from a Pre-Trib position. But of course, many believers, my self included, do not interpret these passages based on those assumptions, and thus dismiss your conclusions founded upon these assumptions.

To go into the remainder of your post point by point would be useless because we disagree upon your basic assumptions.

Oh well,
Blessings,
Sherman

Aaron37, I don’t see Rosh Hashanah to Yom Kippur and the days of Awe revealing the ultimate purpose of the Tribulation Period. Did God lead you to write this post? Do you believe that your view of this is an infallible interpretation?

Just because you don’t see it… does not make it anyless true. :wink: What are your reasons not seeing it based on my post? I believe they are a foreshadow of the rapture of the church, the ultimate purpose of the Tribulation period, and the final judgment in Rev 20:11-15. Jim, research the OT feasts of Trumpets, The Atonement, and the days of Awe for yourself. God has established the pattern of these feasts in his word. There are many types and shadows throughout the OT. :smiley:

Will you answer my questions?

Did God lead you to write this post?

Do you believe that your view of this is an infallible interpretation?

Let it go, brother…I did…Let it be a lesson not to stamp your future writings with the Holy Spirit when they are your interpretations.( your not the first and won’t be the last) :smiley:

I’m sorry if you answered my question and I missed it. I still don’t understand your answer or the implication of your answer. For example, do you claim that God never led you to write a single word?

And do you believe that God will one day lead you to write a word?

I assume that since you claim to be a Pentecostal that you believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit such as knowledge, wisdom, and prophecy continue to this day. Is that correct?

And are you suggesting that Pentecostals or charismatics may never say that God has led them in preaching, written or oral?

If I claimed to be an infallible messenger, then I would have a lesson to learn from this.