The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Counting the Cost

For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? 29Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, 30Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.

Did God sit down and count the cost for the salvation of the world?

After He laid the foundation, Jesus Christ, for that salvation is He unable to finish what He started?

According to those who believe in eternal torment and annihilation He is unable.

Eternal torment and annihilation are mocking God, saying He began to build, and was not able to finish.

This was fantastic… never have thought about this verse in the context of UR before. Thanks so much Pneuma! And welcome!

pneuma - that was insightful - never thought of that one before.

your welcome guys, glad what God gave me was useful for another.

God bless

For me, pneuma, a very thought provoking idea.

I’ve loved that idea of “counting the cost” for some time.
It seems to me it’s often coupled with the idea of “take up your cross” as well.
As in the words of one of my favorite songs by the BTC (Brooklyn Tab Choir)
“Count the Cost, Take up Your Cross, and Follow Him…”

But of course the idea revolves around US doing the counting! Which is an important idea I guess and underlines that we are to be under no illusions of what we’re “in for” when we chose to follow Jesus. Which is to say God will take quite seriously the task of breaking us and remaking us. Which of course is painful.

However, it’s struck me many times that the idea of counting the cost by a sinner is really (not discounting the noble sentiments intended) rather absurd isn’t it? As if the “cost” of following Jesus involves giving up all those delicious and wonderful sins (along WITH their consequences)! As if the “cost” of following Jesus is giving up the misery and depravity of sin?? I’m sure you see my point.

So what a wonderful counterpoint you offer to the idea of “counting” the cost here! From God’s perspective!

An idea something like this has been rattling in my head for awhile but I have not been able to put words to it.
That’s all for the best because it would have taken me many paragraphs to say what you said much better in this short space!

Thanks pneuma!

TotalVictory
Bobx3

Thank you for the kind words, and your welcome

God bless