The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Destruction Fest (offensive content)

This is the wrong place to post this but as i couldn’t find the RIGHT place, and it involves clips, i thought i’d post it here.

one of the guys in my band heads a small church in camden, north london. every few years (when they have the energy!) they put on a small festival called Destruction Fest. it involves a night of prayer and worship at the church, followed by a full night of heavy metal, followed by a special Sunday service. the whole theme and raison d’etre (good band!) is to destroy barriers between people. being an alternative-friendly (ie goth, punk, metaller) church, they want to include those people that would be marginalised by normal churches. this weekend is all about that…without an obvious “conversion” agenda. in fact, the gig had non-Christian bands on, and all profits from the door went to a local homeless charity.

i am talking about this because i was peripherally involved (as a member of one of the bands!) and as such am entitled to say without arrogance (as an organiser) that i was immensely proud to be a part of it. this was less about converting, as i’ve said, and more about welcoming in the “sinners” as Jesus would’ve done. more about being a light in what is actually far less a dark place than many assume. to be honest, us metallers encourage that dark image to a degree, to keep out the normals! :laughing:

i suspect only 2-3 people on here will be able to stomach this, but i’ll post anyway!

DISCLAIMER:
if the clips disturb you (or if the mild swearing before the one totally non-Christian band offends you), put a cardy on, get a nice cuppa tea, and look out the window for a bit to calm down before changing threads. otherwise, even if the music isn’t your cup of tea, join me in rejoicing that once more Jesus reigned supreme in a place where many would not have expected Him to even visit.

Drottnar (before anyone leaps to conclusions, these are SOVIET uniforms. it is Norwegian Soviet Post Black Metal, obviously :laughing: this is the one fully Christian band):
youtube.com/watch?v=SYduR1Fj3tI&feature=youtu.be

Seventh Angel:
youtube.com/watch?v=SX5TBy2y6_Y&feature=youtu.be

us (i am on the left, the guy who got me to read TEU is the second from the right, the guy i mentioned that heads the church is on the far right):
youtube.com/watch?v=ocr53NJac9Q&feature=youtu.be

My Silent Wake:
youtube.com/watch?v=QFcXqixZWSM&feature=youtu.be

Cythraul:
youtube.com/watch?v=brKopDu9y2k&feature=youtu.be

Corpselight, I am with you, Jesus would have been down talking with the audience. (After performing a miracle and shorting out the electric anyway :laughing: ) Hey, give me credit for trying the videos, I am 57 after all. I can remember when having rock-type music and nonelectric guitars in church was a Big Controversy. How far have we come? :wink:

Me too, James. And there’s really nothing offensive here (nothing to give Cradle of Filth a run for their money :smiley: ; although I confess I didn’t watch all of each clip, and I found it quite hard to understand the lyrics of most, well all, actually :smiley:, of the songs . Must be getting old. :smiley: )

Seriously, black / death metal - or metal, in fact - really isn’t my bag musically, I’m mainly a Bob Dylan sort of chap these days - although in my youth I was a bit of a punk, and I still have a soft spot for the Ramones and a bunch of other punk bands. And I think I’ve got an AC/DC record somewhere :smiley: . But the energy and power of this music is obvious. And what you guys are doing in bringing together Christians and non-Christians in a non-judgemental way to play and listen to the music they enjoy is brilliant, in my opinion.

And being totally honest here, Bloodwork were definitely the best! :smiley:

Cheers

Johnny

Can’t say I’m fond of the genre per se, but as an admin I have no problem with the thread, and don’t expect any from the other ad/mods yet. Proceed! http://www.wargamer.com/forums/smiley/guitar2.gif

James you look m,m,m,m,mean :laughing:

Here’s a link to my most faovurite death metal song -

youtube.com/watch?v=bUW2bW2M0BM

Yeah that’s what I call death metal (and it’s one of my fave raves!!!)

lol thanks everyone :laughing:
Johnny…you’re not supposed to understand the lyrics that easily…that’s why there are (sometimes) lyric sheets with the albums :laughing:
the obscurity is a part of the package!
Lizabeth…you’re right! we have come along way since those days.
going back even further, you have Bach using the forbidden so-called Devil’s Triad in the Tocata and Fugue (i think it is)…he was perhaps the first rock and roll guy! and oddly enough loved God…so we carry on his example!

Sobornost…now THAT is crushingly heavy. we will have to take lessons from her! :laughing: :smiling_imp:

I think Iv’e go the hang of this death metal funky groove now baby. Here’s another one from my all time favourite death metal hits album

youtube.com/watch?v=6bCRvBf_fqE

Heavy! If you’re a mod, a rocker, or a teddy boy, there’s somehting in it for you!! :stuck_out_tongue:

brutal stuff! :laughing:

Good stuff James. I agree with Johnny, your band was the stand-out. But then I usually like my metal at a fast-pace (unless it’s good ‘n’ sludgy post-metal). I would love to hear a better recording of your band though, so I can attempt to work out the lyrics! Drottnar were quite good also, even if the uniforms irk me a tad (not sure what the particular intention is). And Cythraul had some pretty monstrous moments too.

My old church was incredibly anti-CCM (we insisted on using hymn books in case anyone was tempted to raise their hands, Michael Jackson would make your genitals vibrate (because, y’know, “science”) and syncopation was against God’s order) and that was heavily taught and lived. Fortunately my sane parents never enforced or taught such vain doctrines, and we were encouraged to listen to, and create music from an early age (I can’t say my parents are particularly stoked about all of my genre-dabblings though!). Needless to say, having read a number of polemics and “cases” against CCM, I know of no compelling biblical, traditional or scientific warrant of its criticism. If anything, efforts should actually be made for the Gospel to be “incarnated” in such genres and communities (without baiting or being contrived). I’m really glad there are opportunities, like Destruction Fest, for young (and often vulnerable) people to hear the Gospel where they would otherwise not. I think that God uses music in his prevenient grace, and I’m personally very indebted to that. Keep metalling on, brother!

:open_mouth: I must be getting old now. As a former head banger (I get dizzy if I try now) I love the flowing locks. :laughing: A bit loud for me poor ears. Now if you ever do any Steve Perry/Journey covers or Supertramp, let me know… :sunglasses:

thanks mate!
well the album will be out …someday. we are waiting for distribution.
the uniforms…well why not? it’s just theatre. also metal shouldn’t be afraid to offend :wink:
what’s funny is they wore those uniforms at a gig in the Ukraine, and thankfully the people there were tolerant…i think they offered to get them some REAL uniforms :laughing:

i went from thinking anything with drums was kinda bad to absolutely falling in love with rock and then subsequently with metal…starting about age 10 i think it was!

Catherine…sorry but doubt we’ll do any Supertramp covers any time soon! but i’ll keep you posted :laughing:

Love it! Makes me want to come and headbang, although my large frontal area won’t really allow that :mrgreen:
If people find this offensive, I really think they should get out a bit more and realise there are real problems out there.

Is your album a CD or download, because I’m definitely interested

James will you still talk to me if I confess to being a bit of a nu metal lover. I own POD albums :confused: I also have some Alice cooper, which is more theatrical rock to me. But his ode to elvis is hilarious, if sadly tinged with ECT. “he ate his weight in country ham, chilled on pills and woke in disgraceland!”

thanks JaelSister!
well we have a vinyl due out…soon. there will be an itunes release, i’m told, as well as a CD. i don’t know exactly when those will come out though i’m afraid.
you’d be perfectly welcome to come headbang though our next gig …well not sure when that’ll be!

your musical tastes are perfectly valid (why, some of my best friends like nu metal :laughing: ) i had a Korn phase a number of years ago, IMO the progenitors of nu metal.
i myself love alot of non metal, like classical, Woven Hand, the odd bit of goth, electro or industrial, and folk. i even like some singer songwriter stuff! metal does get most of my attention, however.
Alice Cooper…much respect to him! he is a standard issue conservative Christian, from what i understand, and an inerrantist. but i have to respect someone who has stuck with his wife, beaten alcoholism and is unashamed of Christ - not to mention being artistically true to himself and using his theatre to tell highly moral tales.
there are a few interesting Christian characters in rock these days. the drummer of Iron Maiden, Blackie Lawless of WASP and Dave Mustayne of Megadeth. i don’t know about the Iron Maiden guy, but Blackie and Dave are also fairly conservative Christians and Dave apparently has some ODD political views. saying that…it’s lovely that people of an alternative bent, some very contraversial in the past, have found love in the arms of God and go out of their way to share that love now.

Yeah, Alice Cooper, model conservative Christian! Extraordinary but true. Apparently he plays a round of golf every single day as well. Takes all sorts I suppose. :smiley:

Talking of Christians in rock (okay pop, okay pap), don’t forget the legendary, ahem, Cliff Richard. Only joking.

Seriously, I know you metal heads will slate me for it :smiley: , but the man who has helped me through many a dark day in my Christian life, Bob Dylan, has more of the spirit of Christ in his little guitar finger than a whole truckload of Benny Hinns, if you ask me.

And anybody checked out Mumford and Sons? I’ve got their first album, Sigh No More. It’s great, IMHO.

Peace and love

J

:laughing: :laughing:

I love Mumford and Sons. :sunglasses:

:laughing:
Cliff Richard!
:laughing:
Lord bless him, but pop is the devil’s music :smiling_imp: !

Bob Dylan…fair enough! actually i need to hear more of him. why don’t you link us a few of your favourite songs?

Talking of Cliff
Take a look at this -

youtube.com/watch?v=px7ilisAGj0

Here is Cliff (uh hi fellas :unamused: we’re gonna tale over this bus! :unamused: :unamused: ) in full swing giving voice to teh semtiments of Christian anti-feminist tradition. I think it’s time for JaelSister to get her tent peg out. :open_mouth:

And while we’re about it Johnny :wink: :wink: :wink:

If I need to listen to music to cheer me up - I listen to cheerful music (it’s logical!! :stuck_out_tongue: ). Here’s Pat Arnold singing a cheerful song that never fails to cheer me up. She was 65 when the video was made - and looks one hell of a lot better than Dylan did when he was 65 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=6AMZWRF7odY