The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Did God kill the dinosaurs?

Gabe, who do you say that Jesus Christ is?

That is a bated question, but Gabe will none the less answer.:thinking:

And I respond in a fury of dealing with forum questions… Sorry Gabe, did not want to speak for you. Forgive me.

This just in!

And just for good measure, behold the fruit!

Ben, I happen to have a copy of the Book of Enoch.

First, it wasn’t written by the historic Enoch written about in Genesis 4 and 5, although some of the early Christians (including Jude) thought it was. In Enoch 54:9, we read “The chiefs of the East, among them the Parthians and Medes, shall remove kings, in whom spirit of perturbation shall enter.” However, the Parthians were altogether unknown in history until 250 B.C. So the book was written no earlier than that date.

Also, the writer’s “astronomy” is ludicrous—that the sun and moon pass through gates.

Yes, I haven’t read the Book of Enoch, but I’m glad you watched the testimonials. There are many more around, of varying degrees of interest, happy to dig them out if you like.

Although Enoch is not in the canon, Jesus does refer to it at one point I believe, and therefore some consider its contents carry more weight than would other comparable near east ancient literature of the time - which I concur is most likely of the 2nd temple era.

The Parthians are a bit of a mystery to me. I heard that’s where we get the saying ‘parting/ parthian shot’, it was actually a technique their retreating horse archers would use at the advancing opponent. Or is this just a myth?

Say Paidion, I’d asked Fine Linen a question at his Everlasting Destruction topic thread he suggests you might be able to shed light on? If you’re so inclined would you be so kind?

Ben, I was unable to locate your specific question. Did it concern the Greek word “αιωνιος” (aiōnios)?
If so, I affirm that the word never means “eternal.” Not does it mean “temporary,” although it is applied in the Bible both to temporary things (“hills” for example) as well as that which is eternal (“God” for example). The actual meaning of the word is “lasting.”

Yes, thanks Paidion, apologies for giving you the run-around, I’ve repaired to the other thread again to reply.