The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Does this ring true to you - personality types?

Do these 4 types resonate with your experience?
Should a person’s ‘type’ disappear at conversion? Or should we be aware of our personal type, it’s strength and weakness?
Is it just natural that different types will gather different perspectives from the same teaching?
How much of our head-butting on the Forum could be avoided by understanding these things?
What type are you?

Wiki:
Most individuals tend to have aspects of their personality which identify with each of the four temperaments. However, there are usually two primary temperaments that are displayed at a significantly higher level. An individual could be any combination of the following four types.

Sanguine personality type is described primarily as being highly talkative, enthusiastic, active, and social. Sanguines tend to be more extroverted and enjoy being part of a crowd; they find that being social, outgoing, and charismatic is easy to accomplish.[2][3] Individuals with this personality have a hard time doing nothing and engage in more risk seeking behaviour.[2]

Choleric individuals tend to be more extroverted. They are described as independent, decisive, and goal-oriented, and ambitious. These combined with their dominant, result-oriented outlook make them natural leaders. In Greek, Medieval and Renaissance thought, they were also violent, vengeful, and short-tempered[16]

Melancholic individuals tend to be analytical and detail-oriented, and they are deep thinkers and feelers. They are introverted and try to avoid being singled out in a crowd.[2] A melancholic personality leads to self-reliant individuals who are thoughtful, reserved, and often anxious.[2] They often strive for perfection within themselves and their surroundings, which leads to tidy and detail oriented behavior.[2]

Phlegmatic individuals tend to be relaxed, peaceful, quiet, and easy-going.[2] They are sympathetic and care about others, yet they try to hide their emotions. Phlegmatic individuals also are good at generalizing ideas or problems to the world and making compromises.[2]

You’re taking me back to Tim La Haye? I don’t know about these particular categories, but I do know there are many similar personality types advocated. My kids have especially been into the 9 Enneagram types as well as the Meyers-Briggs personality types, and the Taylor-Johnson personality inventory.

One may debate what labels apply to who, but I have no doubt that we vary as to how our personalities are bent and which motivations tend to drive us. Most theories agree that each type had its’ strengths and its vulnerabilities, and I think these insights can help us better understand and appreciate ourselves as well as others.

1 Like

Believe it or not, I don’t know who Tim LaHaye is!! Time to Google!

Oh…THAT Tim Lahaye :slight_smile:

Yes, His “Spirt-Controlled Temperament” outlined the four types, “Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholy, or Phlegmatic,” and was my first introduction to personality theories, I think back in the 60’s.

Somehow that one left me behind…

Tim LaHaye’s is a good book. It kind of helps you to psycho-analyse yourself. I sort of figured out I am a sanguine fellow, might also be a bit phlegmatic with a dash of choleric and a sprinkling of melancholy on the side.

This thread has gotten me to think, in a new direction.

What Myers Briggs personality types would survive a zombie apocalypse?

Despite my personality type, or because of it, I simply skimmed your initial post, Dave. Sorry about that, but don’t blame me, blame my type. However, I now notice you asked specific questions which I will try to answer truthfully, in the order you posed them.

Q1. If you are asking if I am aware of my personality type, yes, I am all too sadly aware of my weaknesses.
Q2 (a) No, I see no need for that, plus it is probably an impossibility.
(b) It can only be a good thing to be aware of my strengths and my weaknesses (should I have any of the latter).
Q3. Yes.
Q4. That is maybe a subjective question. I can see myself as appearing to others as being predominantly a sanguine/phlegmatic individual who occasionally, to a greater or lesser degree, exhibits flashes of the melancholic / choleric side of me.

Norm, Norm - that is truly a sad statement. It doesn’t hurt my ego, which I shed long ago in order to ascend spiritually by releasing myself from astral determinism and passing through the planetary zones…well enough of that.
I’m thinking only of your welfare - follow the example of the rest of the folks here who hang on my every word as the foundation of their happiness.
Skimming, indeed? lol

1 Like

I am a mixture of 3 and 4. I think they are good starting point.