The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Does Universalism take God’s holiness seriously enough?

Does Universalism take God’s holiness seriously enough? asked TGC Australia​… Inspired by The Bible Project​’s Holiness video, I suggested the Bible reveals His holiness is so serious that Jesus eradicates all evil—bringing universal healing and wholehearted praise befitting God.

Thank you Alex.
Do the authors of the Bibleproject have universalist beliefs?

I think Holiness embraces mercy rather then vindictive punishment

1 Like

Not yet but their theology trajectories logically go that way so they keep saying things that I think imply it. Another example is their understanding of God’s fire being for “the purifying of Creation.” See:

1 Like

I suggest that some forms of Universalism do not take our necessary holiness seriously enough. Those who subscribe to such forms of Universalism do not consider it necessary that we be holy—for God supposedly accepts everyone because of what Jesus did for us by His sacrificial death, and so we can live as we wish and still be acceptable to God (according to this teaching).

2 Likes

Indeed, that is the case and it makes promoting Christian Universalism harder :frowning:

There is a distinction made in scripture between “being holy” and “living holy lives”. We are told that believers are holy in God’s sight through their relationship with Jesus. (Deut. 7:6-9, 1 Peter 2:9, et al). Even our children are holy (1 Cor. 7:14).

Then, there are numerous verses (e.g. 1 Thess. 4:7) that instruct us to be holy, even as God is holy.

1 Peter 2:9 states that we are “a holy nation.” The word “holy” means “separate.” The Christian nation is not like other nations. It is separate. But an individual Christian is also separate in terms of living. He lives a righteous life rather than living as the world in general lives.

The concept of “being holy in God’s sight”— that is, being positionally holy but not actually holy is “legal” religious nonsense. It’s also wishful thinking—wanting to be acceptable in God’s eyes while living according to our own desires.

1 Like