The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Driscoll tweets Proverbs 24:17, which I think supports EU

I think this is a good response for when some Calvinists tell me that we will be rejoicing at our fallen enemies in hell!

The next verse says why you shouldn’t rejoice–because God might not like your rejoicing and will stop punishing your enemy! So if we are in heaven, rejoicing over the punishment of those in hell–God might be angry with us and stop punishing them. Hmmm… :mrgreen:

“Restrain your enjoyment of your enemy’s punishment, so as not to prematurely shorten it.” This attitude seems to show an immaturity of the human mind which has not yet entered into the heart of God, as the Loving Father, which Jesus teaches us He is–acknowledging that God doesn’t take pleasure in having to punish people, and will be displeased at our pleasure in our enemy’s misfortune.

Pro 24:17 Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles,
Pro 24:18 lest the LORD see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him.

I think of how I feel when I punish one child and another celebrates… I don’t like that at all! Very likely my anger will turn away from the one being punished and toward the one celebrating. I like it when my kids are sorry that one of their siblings is punished–especially when the child who was wronged pleads for me to be lenient toward the one who wronged her.

Eze 18:23 Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord God, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?

Our God desires His children to turn from evil and choose life. The child who rejoices in his brother’s death does not know God. 1Jo 4:20 If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.

Sonia

In scripture I do not see God taking pleasure or gloating over people in hell nor do I see us gloating. I do see us rejoicing as difficult and as uncomprehendable as that sounds NOW. God Bless!

I think Calvinists get a rap as being unloving and even cold which could certainly be the case and alot of Calvinists recognize that and even try to avoid it but their love for scripture is so much that it can be a ditch for them as all sects have their ditches.

You are dealing with people (Calvinists) who put God’s authority above all else moreso than many others. If God said contextually the sky is green yet we see with our naked eye it as blue. Calvinists would insist the sky is green because it’s in scripture. Calvinists only follow the logic of God because God’s logic trumps man’s fallible logic. Calvinist see in scripture many things that on the surface doesn’t make sense to them nor can they paint a complete picture but because it is in scripture they will not question it because who are they to question scripture as that would be putting man’s authority above God’s. Their job is to teach what is presented to them in scripture not to fill in the blanks. A Calvinist believes all things work together for our good and His glory. A Calvinsist would see a tragedy even personal loss like being laid off ultimately as a good thing because they know God was behind that for our good and His glory.

I think an old puritan saying best describes Calvinists:- God does not do good things but that things are good because God does it. God Bless! :slight_smile:

I was thinking about this earlier. How would you know if you’re following God or simply Satan posing as an angel of light? How could you be sure that your scriptural interpretations are correct?

Did not Jesus tell us to ‘test them by their fruits’? How much less would He want us to do the same for a supposed deity? Not the less because that was the litmus test He gave for His own ministry!

He told John the Baptist that He’s the Messiah because the blind were seeing and the lame were leaping and the poor were having the good news preached to them. Furthermore, when the Jews wanted to stone Him, He asked for what good work? You see, He was implying that His ministry was qualified by its fruits.

Yet we come upon an idea of God that says He casts away His own creation by His own will just to show His glory and we accept that? How come? Why, when God Himself in human flesh gave us a better qualifying test for His own ministry?