The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Duck!

…and even a thread on ‘forbearance’ turns into an argument! :unamused:

Duck!

Sonia :wink:

One can love another and correct the same person in gentleness. No need for a dichotomy.

I don’t know Aaron, are we?

In other words, if you call someone wicked or wayward you’re in danger of going to hell. If you cuss all that’ll happen is you getting a few nasty glares from the pastoral staff.

Basically the word of the day was, “sh*t.” Corrupt communication is not the socially arbitrarily induced division of language between profane and non-profane; it’s gossipping, slander, hatespeech, and general crude talk involving an obvious love for the subject matter.

But this is getting off-topic.

Doctrine was a problem with those churches because they were listening to fancy new ideas that didn’t have any substance and led them off the path of a simple walk with God and communion in the Spirit with each other. Imagine that all you know is simple worship of God together in your friend’s house, singing and praising, solving life-issues together, and then all of a sudden someone comes in and starts spouting all this crap about genealogies and useless nonsense, and some of the crew actually listens to them! That would disrupt your worship service, right there. Those are the issues that were going on there.

And Revelation is a book of prophecy, not of doctrine.

But even this is off-topic.

Ran, you make me laugh! :laughing:

But, seriously, I think a man can be known for his forbearance, without becoming “an old woman in a man’s clothes.” And a man can aspire to become better than he is, without being a hypocrite.

But what is forbearance? The word is also translated:
“gentleness”
“reasonableness”
“moderation”

Jesus showed great forbearance–I’m sure he could have been much harder on the religious elite than he was, not to mention that he could have just blasted them all and been done with it.

But to be known for one’s forbearance does not mean that one backs down and never opposes, never takes a stand, never is in a clash of any sort. Paul surely never taught that. But if we are in tune with the Spirit of Christ, we’ll not go far wrong.

He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?
~Micah 6

Sonia

Oh, I agree, roofus! My comment was made jokingly. :wink:

Sonia

A,
Not many days ago you yourself were trying to teach us something that you now consider to have been wrong… would you consider that you were not at the time a true disciple of Christ?

And, having corrected yourself on that point, do you now consider yourself complete in your understanding, and consider it impossible that you might be mistaken in any of the doctrines you currently teach?

Sonia

No, because I did not teach my position as final doctrine on the subject. Anything is possible. What doctrines am I currently teaching?

That’s an encouraging movement on your part.

I didn’t specify “final doctrine” in my statement–and I’m not entirely sure what you mean by that. What I meant was “the doctrinal position/opinion held by a person is less important than his actual practice.”

You were teaching (or trying to teach) a doctrine you now consider false. I wasn’t actually talking about teaching–I meant “professing.” You’re taking it to another level entirely.

In any case, do you consider it adviseable to argue over and attempt to convince people to believe something that might not be true? Even going as far as accusing people of rewriting the Bible?

Do you really believe that “anything” is possible? Wow!
Sonia

Why not take him at his word, Sonia?

“Who then can be saved?”
…Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
…But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.

The lame enter first. And we know the poor in spirit are blessed.

i.e. It is impossible to determine who will be saved. Our prayer, every Christian’s prayer should be that all are.

Perhaps I should. I didn’t think he really meant it–but then again, anything is possible!

Sonia

Of course, “anything” has to line up with the word of God. Anywho, If your not willing to be wrong… how can you grow in the Lord? I was wrong, but was humble enough to make it right. Sonia, God says if you make the bible say what you want it to say or make it say what it does not say the consequences are removal from the book of life and the holy city.

In other words, you are declaring your position as final say of the doctrine your teaching and preaching ( what you think God is saying or not saying) and you ignore correction and are not willing to be corrected and lead other believers to stumble in their faith… your name will be removed from the book of life and the holy city.

Anything is possible… meaning being wrong on some views. Not UR, guys. I have been delivered from all the false doctrines I used to believe in: Sovereign election, total depravity, limited atonoment, Once saved always saved, the OT saints being born again, God’s omniscience writing names in the book of life before the foundation of the world. It is possible I might be hanging on to a couple of more, but I don’t believe so. :smiley:

We are not worthy… :confused:

Aaron, I trust that you instructed people in your Will to have your ego stuffed and mounted after your demise and displayed in the Super-Dome (if it would fit).

Ran, if you continue with your disrespectful comments towards me and everyone else… I have a feeling a long ban is in your future from this site, buddy.

I think those that are stressed out about whether their theology is completely accurate or not (and think if they get a few things wrong God won’t find their name in His perfect book) are trying waaaaay too hard to impress God.

Ran,

Were you just being facetious above or serious?

Stellar, did you miss this? God says if you make the bible say what you want it to say or make it say what it does not say the consequences are removal from the book of life and the holy city.

In other words, you are declaring your position as final say of the doctrine your teaching and preaching ( what you think God is saying or not saying) and you ignore correction and are not willing to be corrected and lead other believers to stumble in their faith… your name will be removed from the book of life and the holy city

Btw, read Mark 9:42-48 Jesus teaches this very thing. If you make anyone stumble or offend believers in their faith with your teaching you will go to hell. Also, read 1&2 Timothy, Titus and throughout the NT on how important sound doctrine is to God.

Btw, as you can see, I don’t believe in Liberal Christianity ( neither did Jesus) :smiley:

Either way… it is disrespectful … it has no place on this forum according to your rules or not.

Honestly, I didn’t know if he was kidding or not with the smiley face at the end. “All things are possible” has taken on a whole new meaning. I thought he was talking about God, but he was talking about himself!!! Amazing.