The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Dying Of Embarrassment

I use to have a terrible case of social phobia. When I was in the first grade they sent me to a special school at lunch time for shy kids because I wouldn’t talk or play with the other kids. As time went on the problem got worse. I tried alcohol and marijuana but this only compounded the problem. It got to the point where I couldn’t communicate with others and look them in the eye. The self-consciousness, anxiety and embarrassment got worse. This book helped me out a lot. I wasn’t cured immediately after I read it or after I did the cognitive behavioral techniques in the book but over time I have lost my social phobias. Today they are gone. It takes a lot of time and work but it is worth it. If you suffer from the symptoms of social anxiety disorder, this book offers clinically proven strategies to help overcome them and start living a life of confidence.

Have you found a cure for OCFT? (Obsessive Compulsive Forum Threads)

I’m fine. I’m a little obsessive right now because I’m in the process of having my meds changed. But it’s nothing real bad.

"Oh, you’ll probably get away with crucifixion."
Monty Python

Hi Michael,

I too was afraid of new people and new situations. Of course part of the reason might have been the isolation. I lived on a small farm with my folks and siblings. My father was a subsistence farmer. All the farm work was done with horses using horse-drawn equipment. We had no automobile or motors of any kind. When I was a young child, if anyone came to the house whom I did not know, I ran upstairs and hid. When my sister said, “Come down, Paidion, and meet the folks,” I cried, “No! No! No!” and clung to the bed posts. Once at the supper table there were visitors. I turned around and faced the wall. I was asked later why I did that. I replied, “I didn’t like they faces.”

As I got a little older, visitors would try to draw me out by asking me questions about myself. I didn’t want to answer such questions for fear I would appear to be stupid.

When I first went to high school in grade 12, I felt afraid because it was a new situation. But I soon settled in.

I always thought other people were much more intelligent than I. I thought I didn’t know anything about the ordinary things of life. For example, when I saw a radio tower, I didn’t know what it was, but was afraid to ask. But at about age 20, I came to realize that I wasn’t less intelligent than the average person, but rather I was more intelligent (at least in some areas). However, I was never very articulate, for I was a visual person rather than an auditory person.

As a teacher, I did a good job. But in teacher meetings when I tried to express my opinions, I tended to stumble around and/or my mind would go blank. So again I had that feeling of inferiority. Perhaps I haven’t entirely gotten over it even yet.

Yeah. I still get nervous in public speaking but I took speech in college and made it through it. Although my social anxiety is gone I do have other issues sometimes with shame and obsessive thoughts. Obsessive thoughts can turn into racing thoughts and then mania. And that can lead into a psychotic break. I haven’t had one in years though. I take medicine for that.

Thanks for sharing Michael. I have a friend with OCD and this is first year he has been able to stay out of hospital at this time of the year. Thank God for good meds when they work well. :smiley: Chris

Hey Chris!

Yes the meds have helped me a lot. Although it’s not only the medicine. It can only do so much. It’s taken me a long time to get where I’m at today. I’m doing the best I have my entire life.