The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Eastern Orthodox Believe Hell Is Eternal

I called the Eastern Orthodox church where I live and they assured me that they believe hell is eternal. This agrees with the Orthodox Study Bible:

I also like their views about suffering in the world:

I also agree with what they teach on the sufferings of Christ:

goarch.org/ourfaith/suffering

I also like the fact that they teach salvation is a mystery:

goarch.org/ourfaith/how-are-we-saved

I’m not sure that the NOTES in the OSB are as inspired as the scriptures, though. I should talk - at one time I thought the Scofield notes were inspired!

The notes are the Eastern Orthodox interpretations of the scriptures.

Right. I’m looking for a good used copy of the OSB, perhaps an after-Christmas sale? It sounds like a good resource.

It’s important to remember that Eastern Orthodoxy does not believe that hell (or Gehenna) yet exists: it will only come into existence at the Final Judgment. Those state of those who find themselves condemned at the Final Judgment is irreversible and irredeemable. Their suffering is caused by their definitive rejection of God. Eastern Orthodoxy “created” the free-will defense of God.

Take a look at these citations from St John of Damascus: preachersinstitute.com/2013/12/0 … s-on-hell/.

It should be noted, however, that a universalist minority report continues within the Eastern Church.

This is a link to Orthodox Metropolitan Kallistos Ware speaking on the topic of Salvation in Christ. It’s long but worth listening to.

In my opinion there are somewhat different veiws among the Orthodox concerning ultimate reconciliation to God. I think some of them believe in “hopeful” universal reconciliation.

youtube.com/watch?v=3F7h-TStNd8