The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Essentials

Church and state separation are part of the US constitution.

Actually I don’t think it precisely is although the constitution prohibits the State from imposing any religion. I think the phrase was used by Jefferson in a letter.

Actually, it’s “word play” .

https://cdn.andertoons.com/img/toons/cartoon2516.png

While Jefferson used those “exact words”, the first amendment implies it. And the Supreme Court has repeated affirmed it. Here’s what Wiki says in Separation of church and state in the United States

But sometimes, the battles take years through the courts - before reaching the supreme court. Like:

The native American battle to practice their religious ceremonies
The Universal Life Church battle to recognize the validity of online ordinations

Both battles were finally won, at the supreme court level.

Now let’s bring up a point Steve made before. Is it acceptable for a Muslim woman to be completed covered? Or we might go to the opposite extreme. Is it acceptable for a woman to be completely nude - at a nudist colony? Actually, they are variations of the same question.

Perhaps we might get into a battle between US workplace conventions and Muslim conventions. Then it’s up to the courts to decide - not us. In both examples above, the Muslim woman and the nudist colonist woman - buy into the dress (or undress) conventions. But we probably want to impose some convention - between the 2 extremes.

If you want to do your own research into Islam, look at the Christian site: Answering Islam

Perhaps we might get into a battle between US workplace conventions and Muslim conventions. Then it’s up to the courts to decide - not us. In both examples above, the Muslim woman and the nudist colonist woman - buy into the dress (or undress) conventions. But we probably want to impose some convention - between the 2 extremes.

We are starting to hear about the praying five times a day and the issues about how this effects the workplace. This is personal time off and if some get it shouldn’t everyone? If you cater to one religion what about the others? Of course the idea of praying five times a day Mohammed got from the Psalms.

Well Steve, if we ever discover space aliens and they come to visit us, I hope the US president won’t appoint you, as our interplanetary ambassador :laughing:

https://merovee.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/to-serve-man-cannamite-3.jpg

This is a matter for the courts. Muslims in the US can go through the state and federal court systems - all the way to the Supreme Court. Just like the Native Americans and Universal Life Church did - in my previous examples. That is the place to decide these matters - not:

Personal opinion
polling
Or a Trump position - to ban all Muslims from entering
Or a Steve position - he just doesn’t like what they believe and practice - from what I gather :laughing:

It’s like - I don’t like them - I’ll think of a reason later :exclamation: :laughing:

Praying five times a day did come from the sayings of Mohammad. And Muslims look on him as the “perfect example” - to decide how to behave and what laws to make. As a Christian, I look at Christ as a perfect example - for obvious reasons.

Now why do Muslims pray, five times a day?

From Why Muslims Pray Five Times A Day

Another source says an angel appearance:

Why do Muslims Pray Five Times a Day?

Since there are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world, I prefer to strive for peaceful coexistence - wherever possible. Same to for the other faith traditions. Currently, there are 7.4 people in the world. That means that about 22% of the world’s population is Muslim. And if I look at Christ as an example, then how did he respond - in the parable of the good Samaritan? Or in the woman, about to be stoned? How should I try to respond to my Muslim neighbor - if I follow Christ, as my example? :question:

So my answer to Muslims? Let’s strive for peaceful coexistence. Settle your issues through the US or other country’s court systems - like everyone else. And if the peaceful coexistence and court systems don’t work, then I would look for the Clint Eastwood Westerns solution. :laughing:

I believe ALL problems in Islam could be solved, if they followed this simple formula. Instead of just going first to what the Iman (i.e. cleric) says, use this hierarchy:

Sufi (mystic)
Scholar
Iman

As long as the first can answer your question, then you don’t need to go down the chain. The answers just need to be in harmony with scripture and sacred tradition.

Come to think of it. Why can’t we follow the same formula in Christianity?

As long as they or anyone are peaceful then live and let live. Yes praying five times came from Mohammed found in the Hadith who got it from the Psalms. Yes Muslims look at Mohammed as the perfect example and many try to emulate his life.

It is from a dream or an angel appearance, as I just shared in the about answer. Do you have a scholarly source you can refer to - that shows the Psalms as source?

It is from a dream or an angel appearance, as I just shared in the about answer. Do you have a scholarly source you can refer to - that shows the Psalms as source?

I thought I had heard he got it from the Psalms but I googled this and found islam.stackexchange.com/questions and according to them they reference Sahih Al-Bukhari 5.227 from the Hadith which portrays Mohammed conversing with Moses about changing Allah’s mind from requiring 50 prayers a day down to 5. So since this seems accurate I was wrong, my apologies. :blush:

I found this article interesting in foreign policy. It’s called Argument: Islam is a religion of violence.

Here’s a bit about the author. Notice she is both Arabic and connected with Harvard.

Her book Heretic: Why Islam Needs a Reformation Now, has gotten 4.4 out of 5 stars, by about 450 reviewers on Amazon. I placed a hold for it, though my local public library.

I’ll share this segment here, from the original article:

I’ll let you read the entire short article for yourselves. I stand 100% in agreement, with what the article says. But would look at folks providing “object, academic style rebuttal” articles, to the one presented. Let’s end with this paragraph:

My hope and prayers is that the third group, wins out over the first group - in influencing the second group. :exclamation: :slight_smile:

Most Muslims are probably singing this song. :laughing:

So let’s hope that that folks like the Arabic woman from Harvard…along with the Orthodox Christian COD - Yale PhD philosophy professor - can set us all straight.

For folks who asked me about Native American spirituality, here’s a video of medicine man Russell Four Eagles at Native American Healing Tradition