The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Eternal torment believers are nuts: video

I was an Arminian (Married to an Armenian!) and I was hopeless. I knew I was no better than anyone else, yet God had made me such that I was responsive to grace? Why had he made others otherwise? And why would he punish them in a way that would not lead them to repentance - why was his modus operandi so incoherently (insanely!?) different after death, when death clearly can come capriciously? Patiently, tenderheartedly, graciously Father Jekyll calls us. Then, Lord Hyde for eternity?

Sorry, but now that I have emerged, I can call what nearly cost me my faith and this life what it was - a localized insanity.

runs to Calvin
:laughing:

Because God wants to extend His love and increase His joy in other relationships (I would say is compelled by virtue of His character, but I won’t insist on it). This has already been debated in circles, I presume for years. The standard response goes: God knew the risk of having free-agents and thought real Love was worth the losses. I know the counter-responses, let’s leave it there? I don’t want to have to argue something I’m not even sold on myself.

My main, humble point is this: insulting someone won’t convince them of anything. The broader problem is you’re just expecting to convert everyone instantly. Prepare yourself that it may take millenniums. Be patient. For example, people have been espousing pacifism since… um… since… I don’t know, the Sermon on the Mount?! Still it is rejected by the churches; still its exponents are persecuted by the churches. And yet, you don’t see too many pacifists throwing insults thinking it will get others to adopt their view (maybe this is why they have been so unsuccessful! :laughing:)

I think it’s these sorts of deliveries that perpetuate persecution! The whole idea of love is to stop this cyclical hatred! And this within the church? God forbid! Love begets more love! I’ve said this before, and I don’t ever intend to tire of it. Praise Yeshua!

(This is not a criticism, Bob, I know you weren’t necessarily in favour of the delivery.)

I like your sig, WEAB. Keep on your path.

I’m sure you know Love isn’t always easy. As I’ve grown older I’ve learned it isn’t even always…pleasant.

The opposite of love is not hate. The opposite of love is indifference. Steel sharpens steel.

I just changed it! So I’m not exactly sure which one you’re talking about! :smiley: I always loved this quote though. Proudhon was no saint, but despite this I think he did understand the inherent message of the Christ better than most (he writes the most fantastic (secular) account of Christ in this book). It was only when I read it this evening, that I noticed it might be appreciated here amongst universalists! Thanks for the encouragement though. God knows we all need it.

Yeah, it’s not easy. I’m quite young, but I have had enough experience to know this. Six months ago I was finally forced to split with my long-term Christian girlfriend (who I had really, really hoped to marry) because my theology was “wrong”: I was a dogmatic pacifist, I tentatively and humbly questioned the Trinity as a potential modalist and I maintained that one should love one’s lady (platonically) before marriage (just as Christ loved the Bride before their union!). I have since squashed most of my non-trinitarian tendencies, but I still believe in Love and its power more than ever! I am proudly unrepentant! :smiley: I’m certainly no Job mind you, but I am still battling the bitterness. I find it immensely difficult to love many of the people within the Church and I hate many of the contemptuous, destructive doctrines it has within it, just as much as any universalist! Oh, how I hate!..

I appreciate that we’ve probably all been burnt by the Church in some way. But know that God is good! And have faith in Love (God by one of His sublimest names, said Adin Ballou!) and its power!* Have faith in the Bridegroom! (Just not the Bride maybe! I don’t like to slag her too much because I’m quite fond of the Groom, but between me and you, we is a little prone to whoredom unfortunately!)

The difficulty is to know what exactly to hate. I think this quote by Frederick W. Robertson might resonate (I have no real idea as to who exactly he is, but he is probably of some major significance):

*Ahh… heck… there is probably no use denying it… I’m a universalist :laughing:

I agree.

We need people who are willing to be radical voices, willing to be the point of the spear. And I share Martin’s amazement and frustration at the irrational and unscriptural traditional doctrine of Hell. For me, it was studying what scripture actually says and doesn’t say concerning the judgment and punishment of sin that freed me to accept in faith that Jesus really is the Savior of all humanity!

Just the night before last I had the opportunity to share with a young man that I believe Jesus is really the savior of all humanity, to which he said he agreed. But of course when I pointed out that this then means that all people are ultimately saved, he couldn’t accept that. But then if Jesus doesn’t save everyone then He is not the savior of all! Also, if Jesus came to save all humanity and doesn’t save all humanity then He fails. So I say that I believe that Jesus came to save all humanity and doesn’t fail to accomplish His job. I like to approach the subject by pointing out the illogical and unscriptural nature of hell.

Be radical then; be just like Yeshua:
Be radically humble, radically compassionate, radically gentle, radically scriptural, radically logical and radically articulate.

Just don’t be a radical jerk.

:smiley:

Jesus was also radically offensive to the established religious community of His day. Have you read Matthew 23 lately? He called them a bunch of hypocrites, sons of Satan, condeming many of their attitudes, practices, and doctrines. I don’t know, on a different day I might hear Martin’s rant differently. Today though, it expresses much of my frustration with people who are otherwise loving and kind, who, when their belief in Hell for others is challenged stop being loving or even rational and instead resort to irrational personal attacks, judgments, and exclusion. The doctrine of Hell often brings out the worst in people.

Which is a huge clue, is it not? :wink:

Martin is nothing, if not provocative…

While I liked the video (the rest of which can be viewed here: youtube.com/watch?v=94vL9K1IX20), I found Dan Sheridan’s comments to be a little less provocative (he spoke sometime after Martin Zender at this conference). Concerning what Martin said about people who believe in ECT being “insane,” Sheridan said, “I don’t believe most people are insane. I believe they ignore it because if they actually believed it they’d go insane.”

youtube.com/watch?v=MXXtiyP8twk

But I would like to say in Martin’s defense that “insane” can be understood to mean, “in a state of mind that prevents normal perception.” I think Martin makes a good point that it is not normal to view God’s love as something that is consistent with people suffering ECT. Martin is not merely talking about the view that God will “mercifully annihilate” those whose salvation he was, for whatever reason, unable to achieve; he’s talking about belief in a God who, rather than do this (or choose not to create such persons at all), would prefer that such people be endlessly miserable.

So I read Matthew 23, and I just don’t see how ECTers equate to modern-day Pharisees.

This is exactly what I think. You just have to think of UR-Hell whenever you infer ECT-Hell. I think it is more constructive to just stop justifying this behaviour for anyone. If Christians could just be loving and rational (labouring in example, as we’re supposed to be) we would never have these problems. We’re not going to remedy these problems by becoming part of it! There are always going to be ECT-jerks (for as long as Christians are men), don’t make it an excuse to become a UR-jerk.

Anyway, I’m out for now because I’m not sure I have anything else to add to the conversation. I love you all though!

Somehow I stumbled across this thread was so intrigued I ended up reading almost every word. Apparently this Zender guy, who I have never heard of, had said some things that might ruffle a few feathers.

And so finally I watched the video. First of all I must say, I totally agree with WE ARE ALL BROTHERS’ comments about the need to be respectful of others (i.e. to not be a “jerk”). However, after listening to Zender I must say, I don’t think he was being a jerk at all. Yes, he was very much “in your face”, but I did not feel he was mean-spirited. As Aaron pointed out, the term “insane” has a precise psychological definition that does not need to be intended or perceived in an inflammatory way. If Martin Zender feels the doctrine of ECT can only be adhered to through some type of insanity, then there is nothing wrong or inappropriate about expressing that. If there is to be any meaningful discussion, people should know exactly what he is thinking.

Has not the seeming irrationality of believing in a God who allows for ECT driven most of to the consideration of UR? Zender merely has the guts/stupidity/wisdom/cockiness/naiveté/foolishness (take your pick) to say in public what many of us have said or implied in private (and I do consider this bogging site to be kinda “private”.) Do traditionalists have any issues with saying how irrational UR believers are? I don’t think so - nor should they. Why should UR believers be reticent to do the same? (It should be noted that he does temper his assessment of traditionalists by stating that he does not feel that such believers are insane in all areas of life or theology … but that they are insane in this one doctrine - albeit an important doctrine with strong implications about life and theology.)

I have been actively studying the ECT & EU doctrines for over a year now and one thing I am convinced of is this: “ECT makes absolutely no sense.” Yet I am afraid to deny it!! Much (but not all) of my anguish concerning this has been directed at the walls of my apartment. Zender is getting his ideas out there in a coherent fashion so they can be challenged or can challenge others. This is healthy. And his blunt style is a breath of fresh air, even if I am not sure if I agree with him.

There is a very big difference between being insane and being incorrect. The strong majority of ECT believers I meet are not insane. Lewis was not insane, Chesterton was not insane, my parents and brother and his wife are not insane, my teachers and preacher at church are not insane, my teachers and preachers at every church I’ve ever attended are/were not insane, most of my current and past Sunday School class members are not insane, the guy I’m going to be debating in a couple of weeks is not insane, the guy hosting our debate on his podcast is not insane, most of the ECT and/or annihilation proponents involved with our forum are not insane–the list could go on and on.

And, incidentally, I was certainly not insane back when I believed in ECT. Neither was I thinking as clearly on the matter as I could have been. But being logically invalid, or not having all the facts, or even not seeing how the pieces come together, does not count as being insane–even though insane people are typically logically invalid, have bad and/or a poor selection of facts, and have trouble seeing how pieces come together. But that’s due to medical or psychophysical factors which cause them to react automatically to stimulus in fashions which hamper (or even outright remove) their rationality.

I have met some ECT proponents who, after an extended period of observing how they approach the topic, I would (keeping in mind I am not a professional) consider to behave neurotically in regard to the topic. So I realize there are exceptions. I have met some Kath proponents who, after an extended period of observing how they approach the topic, I would also classify as behaving neurotically in regard to the topic.

I strongly disagree when some atheists regard theists as being effectively insane thereby; I strongly disagree when some theists regard atheists as being effectively insane thereby; I strongly disagree when some ECTs regard Kaths as being effectively insane and/or Satanically wicked thereby; and I strongly disagree when some Kaths regard non-Kaths as being effectively insane and/or Satanically wicked thereby.

Insanity happens; and people are wicked. And those things affect how we approach any belief (or refusal to believe). But they don’t necessarily lead to, or necessarily stem from, those kinds of belief.

This forum was NOT founded on the ground that non-Kaths (whether ECT or anni) are insane. It WAS founded on the ground that most people are sufficiently rational and ethical to discuss whether Christian universalism (in one or another variation) is true or false. I disagree that ECT or annihilation is true, but I go out of my way to respect the people who believe it, and to respect those beliefs themselves as far as I can–because people hold them not only out of (what I regard to be) error, but also in order to protect and foster ideas that (I recognize and believe) are true.

I have said it before, and I will say it again: I recommend people be very careful how they proceed on this topic. The golden rule still applies: I expect our members to treat ECT and anni proponents the same way you would prefer them to treat proponents of Christian universalism.

So, in regard to that I’ll ask: is Martin Zender treating proponents of ECT the way he would want to be treated by proponents of ECT? Discuss. :slight_smile:

So some are eh? :wink:

I have a couple of notorious exceptions in mind. :wink: But even other non-universalists thought they were behaving in a seriously irrational fashion.

See also my third paragraph, though.

I was introduced to Zender quite a while back and followed him for a while. However, what one earlier commenter said, that he’s the “Rush Limbaugh of Universalism,” seems apt to me. I understand where Zender is coming from, but his manner turned me away as Limbaugh’s manner also turned me away. Maybe that’s just me. I’m a (probably too) sensitive person and I found it offensive.

Most of hell-believers don’t like the idea, but feel they must accept it because “God said it and it’s true.” God is good. They know this because they know Him. Therefore His plan of ECT must also be good. God has a far vaster viewpoint and one day we’ll understand why this is necessary. They mention hell with a decidedly apologetic tone. Their faces register dismay at the thought, yet they feel they MUST believe it. Wiser men than they affirm that it is true and is just.

A device in The Last Battle by CS Lewis comes to mind. The little donkey, Puzzle, who follows the ape and keeps doing whatever the ape says and trying to believe whatever the ape says because after all, the ape is “so much cleverer than me.” People don’t seem to understand that it’s not about being clever. It’s about knowing Jesus.

I’ve been mulling this over for decades, trying to make sense of it. Some of the things I’ve thought, trying to make excuses for God: “Maybe hell is really inevitable because the very presence of the Holy God is painful torment to the hater of God. Maybe to them, God Himself IS the flame and the torment. It can’t be helped because they are what they are, and after all, souls are forever.” Or: “It’s eternal separation from God. God is all that is good. Even a cold glass of water is a manifestation of God’s goodness, so to be separated for all eternity from the One who is All Good must be the meaning of hell.” Or: “It’s like the dingy city in The Great Divorce. Those who reject Him are increasingly buried by their own delusions. But CS Lewis gives the inmates a way out. Isn’t that heretical?”

What a relief to hear a chance comment on a podcast from a brother talking about organic/simple church: “Now that we realize we don’t need to be under the umbrella of the traditional church hierarchy, we are free to question questionable doctrines, such as that of eternal conscious torment. Why do we think that God doesn’t simply annihilate the wicked? It’s a more loving and more scriptural position.” That was all he said (and I’m quoting badly). He gave me permission to question openly, and it’s taken probably three years for me to get here to your door.

But my (long-winded) point is that Zender’s hyperbolic rant misses the point. I would agree with him if he said that people who delight in the notion of ECT are insane. Wholeheartedly. What loving, rational person could delight in such a thing? However I’ve never met anyone who expressed delight in the idea of ECT. They’ve all been sorrowful and puzzled about it. They’re not ready to let go of it because they believe the bible teaches it, but no, they don’t like it.

About 10 or 11 years ago, I started to see the grace of God and how that grace applied to my life as a Christian - I saw all this truth in the bible that I had somehow glanced over before (or somebody went back into time and inserted it) :slight_smile:

I came to know, in a better way, the grace of God without any knowledge of UR.

A year later, someone told me to check out Martin Zender’s website. As a non-UR believer who suffered some persecution from Christians for my beliefs about the grace of God, I had two reactions to Zender - a sort of Ying and Yang reaction.

1. He helped me solidify my courage in my persistence on Grace against the majority of mainstream Christians, including many “scholars” and local radio personalities, who have all, imho, inserted Law into the Christian Life through so-called “progressive sanctification”, continual asking for forgiveness of sins, and a few other practices.

2. Against the backdrop of our new church family, which was showing increasing hostility for scripture, worship, and prayer, all in the name of UR (their belief was really UU, though), I lumped Zender in with them, and it all left me feeling somewhat depressed.

Now, 10 years later, I am much more open to the scriptural argument for UR (and am still disgusted with UU). I don’t need UR to know God’s grace for me, but it does help - like icing on the cake - as I ponder it. Still, I listen to Zender, and I can see how he could turn people off to the truth rather than bring them into the truth. He’s a very funny guy - if only somehow he could use that humor in a way that draws all people in, I have a feeling he’d reach more people.

Christ will draw all people to Himself - and ECT’ers are part of all (unless All means some). :slight_smile:

@We are all brothers:

I couldn’t help but notice your statement:
There are always going to be ECT-jerks (for as long as Christians are men).

An english, close-equivalent of aion used with a time-limiter. (always will be vs. for as long as).

In jest, I have to ask - which is it? How can it be both? Is it always, or is it “for as long as”. (okay, only having fun with that because I sensed from your writings that I could have to the freedom to do so - no need to reply on that off-topic piece) :slight_smile:

Jason,

I generally agree with everything you wrote. I also agree that we need to tread very carefully as we address this so as not to be perceived as using this forum as a means of bashing other believers who do not share all the same tenants of faith. I also understand that as an administrator you are more sensitive to the potential for this happening than ordinary schmucks like myself. Thanks for your post.

I realize that most UR people do not consider ECTers to be insane. But Zender is not one of those people. I anticipate that if he were to chime in on this thread he would remark that, in his view, the ability to accept the existence of ECT represents a departure from rationality so profound that there is no other word to describe it but “insanity”. It would not matter to him that most or all ECTers are able to function normally in other areas of life. It would not matter to him that most or all ECTers are able to assemble coherent arguments for their faith and appear rational. In his view, they are not.

Recently when sharing my serious consideration of EU with a biblically astute friend she said the arguments I was entertaining were very irrational and she expressed doubt that I was thinking sanely. She was very concerned. Do I find her words and sentiments offensive or un-Christlike? No way! In fact, it would be very unloving if she failed to express this. She had enough respect for me to share her honest feelings. She treated me like I would want to be treated and, I am sure, like she would want me to treat her.

Likewise, Zender would be unloving if he did not express his views in a frank manner.

However, this does not necessarily mean that Zender is doing so in a loving manner. This is where it gets tricky. I am sure we are all familiar with how 2 different people can say the exact same words and yet be communicating 2 different messages. The actual message depends on many things such as the context of the conversation, the background of the listener, the background of the speaker, the precise meaning of words as understood by both parties, the vocal inflection, the physical gestures, the physical environment, the expected audience outside of the immediate listeners, and of course the intent of the speaker. Therefore answering your final question about whether or not Zender is treating others like he would want to be treated becomes quite subjective.

For example, if Zender attended a Sunday morning Bible study at my church (or was writing on this website) and started spouting off about ECT and UR and calling people insane, I would consider that to be wrong. However, the context of the conference in the video was different. Also, if Zender is simply using the word “insane” for shock value and has not clearly thought through what it means, then I would consider that to be wrong. However, he attempts to couch his words in the background that he has carefully thought this through.

If Zender only used the words “irrational” or “illogical”, I doubt this thread on this site would even exist. However, it’s the word “insane” that appears to cross the line of decency. Maybe it’s my medical education background, but when I hear this word I don’t view it as necessarily having inflammatory intent. It’s simply an assessment. Now I also realize he used the word “nuts”. Did he really have to do that? That was probably not a good choice. But I also can sympathize with him on this as well. He seems to really believe in what he is saying and he seems to really be concerned about how this is affecting others. Therefore he may feel he needs to get people’s attention. He may feel words like “irrational”, “illogical, and even “insane” do not cut it. (And “nuts” is really just slang for “insane”. It does not add any new meaning to the word “insane” other than to alert people that he is really serious/passionate/radical/”freaked out” about this.)

Have we all not resorted to stronger words when we feel a listener is not really taking our concerns seriously? I am not saying we should ever use inaccurate words, but there are words that say the same exact thing but carry a little extra punch. “Nuts” is one of those words. I would not use it but I can see how he felt he should.

It should also be noted that I am interpreting his words in light of his somewhat comical (or silly) sequence tacked onto the beginning. From that I learned a little about his “edgy” personality which causes me to consider his use of the word “nuts” in a less abrasive manner than I normally would.

Personally I think we are living in an age of hyper-political correctness where people are too quick to perceive things in an offensive way and others are too quick to mince their words for fear of offending. Either way no progress is made. I say, let’s get it out on the table so we can deal with it (whatever “it” may be). The key thing is this: In areas of theological polemics, people should not compose language designed simply to tear the character of others down or subject them to ridicule. This is wrong in any age. We need to make sure the words we use are the words we mean, they are said in the proper setting, and are intended to get us all closer to the truth. (Between the two approaches is indeed a “fine line”, but so be it.)

So in answer to your question (“is Martin Zender treating proponents of ECT the way he would want to be treated by proponents of ECT?”), in my opinion based upon the one video referenced in this thread: Yes.

For a second I thought he was gonna pull out a .357 and start capping off his enemies. I may agree with him but he comes off as nuts and I doubt many will take him serious. Of course that’s all based on the 10 min vid.

Aug