The Evangelical Universalist Forum

EU When the Rubber Hits the Road

I had an extraordinarily sad phone call this morning. Last night, my brilliant, lovely agnostic niece on medical leave from a full scholarship for a most competitive graduate school program took her life. All of this is sad enough, but I don’t know how I would have taken it if I hadn’t discovered that the Bible teaches that Christ never stops reaching out to those who’ve died lost. I praise God that I have some peaceful understanding of this.

(Please pardon me as I take a break from academic discussions on this board.)

You’re in my prayers James…
Love,
Byron

God’s grace and strength to you and her family (and to her, too.)

I wish my mother could accept my comfort for the loss of a sister’s husband whom we all loved. I have no reason to believe he died a ‘Christian’ in any formal sense–as far as anyone can tell he was on the atheistic side of agnostic. But he was clearly a sheep, so I have no worries for him.

(And if he had just as clearly been a goat, I still would have no worries for him, though in a slightly different way. :slight_smile: )

I worry about our families and friends left behind, not about those who have gone on ahead. If my most beloved died, I would probably just go catatonic in grief–not out of worry for her, but because I miss her so much, and also out of grief for the pain shared by others who love her. Not that I wouldn’t grieve for the loss of others I love, but naturally she’s the standard. :slight_smile: Thus I can sympathize better with others who also lose one they love; and can pity better those who die without one behind to be torn by the grief of their passing.

The vale of separation is a terrible veil to bear. God grant the day come soon, when that veil is at last torn completely down, and we walk in the valley of the shadow of death no more–to see with our eyes, spiritually as well as physically, those who have passed the veil before.

Wow – that must be tough.
Blessings to you as you strive to share your personal hope of UR with the rest of the family.
Do they actually KNOW of your convictions about the truth of UR? Or is is left unsaid? If so, maybe this is a good time to tell them!? I suppose the danger in bring up UR is, as always, the risk of minimizing the present agony and deep sadness of loss. (ie to hear “don’t worry, it’ll all work out in the end” really is not the most comforting thing to hear in times of great sorrow like this…)

TotalVictory
Bobx3

The Memorial Website for My Niece Kendra Lipinski
frenchmortuary.lifefiles.com/registryMain.php?i_memorialid=1243106688

Yes James - my thoughts are with you and your family too.

I thank everybody for your prayers and thoughts.

I don’t even know what to say except the obvious; God’s peace with you and your family. It saddens me truly and I will keep you and your family in my prayers. :cry: