The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Evidence of Islam

I will share an article, from the Christian site Answering Islam. It’s on Sufism. I think if more Muslims would honor and listen to the mystics of Islam…rather than calling them heretics…Islam would be far more peaceful.

Let me quote some interesting segments.

The Sufi concept of a God who is “all in all” differs radically from the orthodox conviction that the further he is placed from his creation, the more he is glorified. Historically it is a marvel that Sufism grew out of the bedrock of Islam but its development will not surprise Christians who believe that man was made in the image of God and that his highest glory is to be conformed to the divine image and be partaker of the divine nature through the indwelling Holy Spirit. The mystical quest in Islam was perhaps to be expected for, as it has been put, there is a “God-shaped vacuum” in every human heart that no religion-based purely on ethics and formal rites can ultimately fill.

The covenant by which the disciple is initiated into the particular order he enters is known as a bay’ah and it attaches him to his master and the silsilah (chain) from which the master himself derives his power ( barakah ) and authority (similar to the “apostolic authority” conferred on Roman Catholic priests through a progressive laying on of hands said to go back to Simon Peter himself).

We need more Holy Fool Sufis like Nasreddin, in the world. :crazy_face:

Well let’s hear from a man who was brought up a Sufi but can now have a more objective view:

That was an enjoyable vid, thanks. Have you watched any of the others by him?

Some Sufis do embrace, the ideologies of Islamic Fundamentalism. I’m familiar with the Sufi orders in India. And those in the US. They are relatively peaceful. As a lifetime member, of the Theosophical Society (mainly for their, extensive library collection)…I had ample opportunity, to study them - via TS leads. Obviously, there will be exceptions. And statistical outliers, in any mystical order. But overall, I think Sufism has a positive role.

Having said this, I can’t embrace Sufism - nor recommend it to non-Muslims. Unless it is Universal Sufism.

But if you view this Quora discussion, you find divided opinions:

At the end of the day, I would advise Christians to stay away from Sufism - because of its Islamic roots. But encourage Muslims to explore it. And for Christians, turn them to the Christian contemplative methods of Yoga (1, 2, 3 ); Zen (1, 2).

But I give 2 Thumbs up to Nasreddin. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yes, I enjoy watching his videos. He is presently an atheist but sympathetic to Christianity as he sees it a force for good. His manner is helpful and reasonable.

I want to go back, to this article

Let me re-quote this interesting segments.

The covenant by which the disciple is initiated into the particular order he enters is known as a bay’ah and it attaches him to his master and the silsilah (chain) from which the master himself derives his power ( barakah ) and authority (similar to the “apostolic authority” conferred on Roman Catholic priests through a progressive laying o

Many Sufis are “pseudo-Sufis”. Only a few are “real Sufis”. And it boils down, to whether they have barakah or not. Real Sufis have it. And they are peaceful. And lead peaceful movements. And they are the only ones, whom God works miracles through. See:

It’s like the Roman Catholic priest I know…and hung around with, for several years. He “allegedly” has the gift of healing and hearing the voice of God. Well, one day he moved - from Illinois to Wisconsin. But once a year, he visits a church in the area. But he was sick this year, and couldn’t come. The resident priest did the anointing with oil and laying on of hands. I felt no power. But with Father A., who was sick - I could feel the power. And with a “real” Sufi, you will feel and experience the barakah.

So this is not, just extend to “real” Sufis.

• It is in the sacraments, of the Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox sacraments.

• The “real” ceremonies of the Red Road ( 1, 2).

• The Light ( 1, 2, 3, 4) of certain Tibetan lamas (and Japanese Johrei and Sukyo Mahikari).

• And sitting in the presence, of certain Eastern Sages (1, 2).

Sufi barakah, IMHO - is the same as the Eastern Orthodox / Eastern Catholic Uncreated Light or God’s energies.